Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schematics for E67 & E38 hardware

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Schematics for E67 & E38 hardware

Does anyone have a circuit board schematic of an E38 or E67?

I would be interested in seeing one so I can understand the hardware we are working with in terms of customization.

For that matter does anyone know what part number PowerPC chip they use?

NateD4, I'm not sure you understand how companies like EFILive and our competitors come to exist. All the technical ECM data you ask for on the forum is not publicly available, it's not available through Delphi, Bosch or GM, reverse engineering is how we all came to be. What I can tell you is inside the E38 it uses flip chip technology, meaning majority of the IC's inside are unknown custom Delphi made components with no part numbers to be found.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_chip

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    What I can tell you is inside the E38 it uses flip chip technology, meaning majority of the IC's inside are unknown custom Delphi made components with no part numbers to be found.
    Cheers,
    Ross
    Are there many of those flip chips in there? What do they do?

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    Are there many of those flip chips in there? What do they do?
    There is seven, the functions of them I am not sure. I suspect some will be output drivers, maybe input buffers, a power supply regulator, I'm not really sure.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

1. GM will never release schematics, source code, or anything related (lots of R&D invested).
    2. The companies that reverse engineer the GM stuff would also not release (lots of R&D invested).

I figured that would be the case. Thats why I asked. To me EFI Live seems a much more open group then HP Tuners.

In any rate I suppose I'm struggling to understand the reason we can't do more with these OSs (perhaps we are and I'm not aware of it).

My primary interest is in figuring out how they work and possibly adding a VGT control algorithm to them.

I would think if you have a complete ROM / flash dump you can figure out what is going on inside the system pretty readily. I could be wrong... However knowing that these are 44 Mhz PPC processors is a good jump. The question is which architecture.

In any rate if this proves too difficult I'll just design my own VGT controller using micro controllers. It shouldn't be too difficult (though a bit time consuming).

Quote Originally Posted by NateD4 View Post
    I figured that would be the case. Thats why I asked. To me EFI Live seems a much more open group then HP Tuners.
    It is, but it's still a commercial product, not open source.

In any rate I suppose I'm struggling to understand the reason we can't do more with these OSs (perhaps we are and I'm not aware of it).

My primary interest is in figuring out how they work and possibly adding a VGT control algorithm to them.
    If you wrote the ECM code from scratch, or could recompile the code then maybe you could, but when neither of those is possible then it makes OS operational changes (big or small) quite difficult, maybe bordering on not possible.

I would think if you have a complete ROM / flash dump you can figure out what is going on inside the system pretty readily. I could be wrong... However knowing that these are 44 Mhz PPC processors is a good jump. The question is which architecture.

In any rate if this proves too difficult I'll just design my own VGT controller using micro controllers. It shouldn't be too difficult (though a bit time consuming).
    E38 uses a MPC561, E67 uses an MPC565.
    Google search for 'Fleece Performance Turbo Brake", it's a VGT controller for the Duramax Turbo's. Might be just what you need, it hooks on to the CAN bus and controls the turbo vanes.

Cheers,
    Ross

Lifetime Member

Try Horace at MAST Motorsport. He might work with you.

Lifetime Member

Default Explain your intent

Ross, you are a better man than I. It was nice of you to respond at all, but you also provided some information. This Forum is dedicated to EFILive users assisting each other with using the tuning product.

NateD4, you have posted many threads of late, asking for technical information only, not in anyway related to using the EFILive tuning product. I suspect you don't even own an EFILive product.

Further, I suspect your intent is to gather whatever technical information you can (whether it be the intellectual property of another or not), and use it for your own material gain.

I would suggest you disclose your intentions, so that there could be an honest and considered exchange of information (if warranted) or go elsewhere to "fish" for confidential information.

Regards,
    Taz

Taz, I know exactly where you are coming from, but giving out some part numbers is only going to save him 5 minutes searching on Google.
    The overall picture on what is happening here is EFILive is standing on top of Mount Everest watching NateD4 at base camp with the mindset all he needs is a few ropes and a bottle of Powerade to make it to the summit.
    I wish him luck in he's pursuits on adding VGT controls for the E38/E67, but I don't think he appreciates what lies ahead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast