Thread: Batt volts vs Flashscan log..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck L. View Post
    ...I haven't data logged my 08 5.3 Silverado, but I see the volt meter ranging from over 14, to near 12... Do you know if there's a control mechanism in the PCM to regulate alt output?? As near as I can tell, it's internal in the alt...
    Well it all depends, and I'm not sure. I need to go to my alternator folks (Alterstart) and get a brain-dump on these contemporary units. Also, the charging system changed in the trucks in late-2003, so I dunno if the field is self-regulated (like older alternators) or PCM-regulated and how this may have changed in 2003+.

...We were thinking the ecm/pcm is reporting a regulated voltage being used in the pcm.. Y/N??
    THAT would make perfect sense - the PCM has voltage divider circuits in it to deliver precisely 5.0-volts to the various engine control sensors, I bet it also has a similar regulated circuit that caps internal PCM buss voltage at 13.0-volts (give or take), that would make a lot of sense because all motherboards use regulated voltage; I would now bet $1 that this is the value being reported by the GM.VOLTS or SAE.VOLTS PID.

...What fans do you use? [We wondered about the 11A, too.]
    Funny that you should ask - I make & sell an electric fan kit for GMT-800 trucks (99-07), I've done over 50 of them word-of-mouth during the last 3-years, I retail them for $549 complete/shipped/insured/tested/warrantied. I use SPAL 16" fans, my own proprietary control harness, and my own proprietary low-profile shroud. All wiring is correctly sized (10-gauge) and crimped *and* soldered, with appropriate fusing and relays. We parked a few trucks side-by-side, and my kit pulls half-again more air than the GM 2005+ fans, and those pull half-again more air than the LS1 fans and FAL fans (FAL truck kit is a sad joke). The big SPALs pull 25+ amps at full blow, and when you have a rowdy cam with lumpy idle and the alternator voltage falls for a split second the amperage draw can reach 80-amps (the Torrent E-Fan kit has been made for that).

IMO with what you have shared, the only reason you are cooling as well as you are is because you have a really good radiator; I would also advise you change out to a 160* thermostat (remember, they begin to open at 160*, not fully open at 160*!) and my own truck as well as all my customers maintain a 192-195 running temp at freeway cruise in the 105* summertime heat. 11" fans are just not enough coverage area to keep the truck cool IMO. OR are you running three of them?!

Some pics of the Torrent E-Fans on a project 2-years back (last year's pt.net calendar cover truck, I am proud to say):

Mr. P.
    Last edited by Mr. P.; August 5th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
    2003 Silverado SS, with Novi-1500 "CAI mod"
    EFILive V 7.5 COS-3 (OLSD, for now!)

Thumbs up Nice truck!!

I will go to the 160 stat, as I need to cut all the under hood heat I can... Fighting hi IATS, and timing losses..Building a cold air box today! [100*/45% H again.]
    [How do you work around having those turbo inlets breathing rad temp air??]

Do you have/sell a GOOD quality 160* stat? Looks like I may be changing fans this winter. [Perhaps a single 16" with your controls would work??]
    If you would, please, let me know what you find out with your inquiry at Alterstart.

Again, Thanks for the input!

Back under my rock....
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]