Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing injector wear

I know a lot of people pull their systems apart and see rust!

I think that a lot of people blame injector failures on mods/power/pressure, but lack of filtration is major. Consider how poor the f/w sep on FASS/AD was for years, worse than stock!

#1 that runs through injector issues around here is water... 9 times out of 10 around here.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Adam In my experience with high pressure liquids & steam (not as high as are fuel systems, although same principals apply across the board) erosion takes place when there is a restriction (nozzle) causing a pressure difference. Pressure is a measurement of restriction. With that said IMHO I think reducing the amount an injector opens causing a differential in pressure would greatly reduce erosion. Entrapped air is also an eroding force (cavitation). Especially at high pressure bursts. As with anything else automotive or flow of anything in general. Pressure is the what society tries to reduce while improving flow. Parts fail due to pressure/flow, contamination and action. Pressure without flow or action does no harm considering materials to be pressurized can handle the load. Without flow then no contamination can erode parts. If flow is increased, pressure is decreased, contamination is filtered out and action is reduced parts will last while power will be smoothed and better. My $.02

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
    Also do you really see water proven as being in the fuel more often than people just being a tard running high pressure all the time?

I know it'll kill them quickly. Just can't imagine it being the most common.
    I have heard from many injection shops that water is their biggest problem. I get about a teaspoon out of both my separators combined in one pull so I believe them. I drain them every run.

Jake

Adam,

Have you thought about writing to a BOSCH Engineer and ask them their feelings on the matter??

I have a hard time believing that if pressure was their priority concern they why run their injectors on the European diesel vehicles at higher pressures than we see.

Without an answer from BOSCH themselves...all we are doing is speculating.

And we all know speculation can/does lead to false or misguided claims on what ones knowledge might/might not be.

I do know that BOSCH specs 2um for their CR systems and it's in fact Cummins/Chrysler that offer only a 7um in factory applications.

Having such tight tolerances with regards to filtration leads me to believe that there is more of a concern on clean fuel as opposed to injection amounts/pressure and event totals
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

True, Les. But it's just a discussion board. None of us have to participate in the thread if we don't like it. I personally enjoy the discussion and the degree of speculation with it. I'd certainly hope that anybody involved accepts it as personal experience/opinions. Of course we as intelligent beings have the responsibility of attempting to be as accurate as possible when interpreting and conveying our experience and opinions. I'm okay with it cause it's all just in fun.

Of course Bosch would give AN answer. I don't know that I'd trust them on it. I very much dislike relying upon the manufacturer of a part to educate me, since there is an inherent and unavoidable high degree of bias. It's just that Bosch is the ones who made these injectors that we all see failing so often, and refuses to support them. They are the ones that failed to recommend better than 10um until after the vehicles were produced, if I understand correctly. I think that the QC requirements just aren't up to snuff as they could be. It seems to me that we have more failures with our injectors than other diesels. But it could just be that I am more in tune to the Dodge Cummins CR community.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Lifetime Member

You're going to have a hard time proving anything, so WTF does it matter what anyone says. Without setting up a lab experiment with controlled conditions, we will probably never know. Your best bet is to talk to some CR injector shops and/or Bosch and see if they will provide any information. My suggestion is to tune your truck for maximum efficiency, and then if/when you have to replace your injectors, you'll have some extra cash to pay for them.

It doesn't matter. If it did, I'd ask somewhere serious instead of a discussion board. Why are you bothered by it?
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Lifetime Member

I'm not bothered by it. I just think it's a silly discussion. Why are you bothered by my response?

Not bothered at all. Amazed that you'd be disturbed enough to throw in profanity and act as if the discussion shouldn't exist. It wasn't meant to solve world peace. It is a casual discussion. If it were important, I would HOPE someone wouldn't be sitting here discussing it online. No offense meant toward you man. Maybe I took you the wrong way.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast