Tips for getting better mileage....

For the engine:
  1. Drive to save fuel, it probably helps the most....
  2. Don't rely on the CL functionality to get the fuelling right. Dial in the MAF / VE and have the fuelling as close as possible without corrections. Then use the short term fuel trims as a safety measure. Personally I usually turn off the LTFT's.
  3. Get the timing right. That's not the most timing the engine will take before knock is detected, it's where you get the most efficiency.
  4. Look at the cold start tables and lean them off a bit, especially if you are in a colder climate. The longer the engine runs the cold start tables, the more fuel it uses.This can help a lot if you do a lot of shorter trips.
  5. You could try advancing the injection pulses, to ensure better vaporisation of the fuel.
  6. Lean cruise may help, if that is an option.
  7. DFCO can be set to come in sooner and stay on for longer as the car slows down. I've had it running fine with a 0.5 second delay and remains on down to 1000 RPM, though I have a manual. DFCO can cause issues with high stall converters though....
  8. With the auto, you could try the following...

For the Auto:
  1. If the TC has a lock-up, ensure it's locking correctly under light loads. Also, release the TCC before the engine goes into PE mode.
  2. Set the shift points to keep the motor out of PE mode. Shift down earlier if need be and ensure the correct gear is selected for slower corners.
  3. Run the minimum amount of fluid pressure needed to make things work. Some tend to just ramp up the pressures for fast hard changes, but the engine must run the pump to keep these pressures high, this reduces economy. Be careful not to go too low though, as slippage can occur.