Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead E38?

You'll just have to make a new for the new OS is the easiest thing to do. E38's have to be flashed with a tech2 first since a brand new one can not be flashed with efi live. There was probably a update in the programming from GM so the different OS is probably the newest OS for that vehicle.

I can't check the vin because I cannot communicate with the computer at all.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    You'll just have to make a new for the new OS is the easiest thing to do. E38's have to be flashed with a tech2 first since a brand new one can not be flashed with efi live. There was probably a update in the programming from GM so the different OS is probably the newest OS for that vehicle.
    I will just have to make a new what for the OS?

Update, the cig lighter fuse was blown I replaced it, no change. I still cannot communicate with the computer, the car will not turn over. I put my old computer back in and it started fine. The old computer has an intermittent problem that results in the engine shutting off at random times which is of course the reason I replaced the computer. Now what I have $350 invested in the new computer is it dead?

Quote Originally Posted by RD in SD View Post
    I will just have to make a new what for the OS?

Update, the cig lighter fuse was blown I replaced it, no change. I still cannot communicate with the computer, the car will not turn over. I put my old computer back in and it started fine. The old computer has an intermittent problem that results in the engine shutting off at random times which is of course the reason I replaced the computer. Now what I have $350 invested in the new computer is it dead?
    Sorry about that, you'll need to make a new tune for the new OS.

If you tried flashing the old tune in the new e38 with a different OS you most likely bricked the the ecm specially if it won't do anything.

Now after taking the computer out and putting it back in I am communicating. Now I have P080A clutch relearn code. I can't figure out how to relearn it

Lifetime Member

Nice to hear the E38 is alive ... however, this should have driven home the point that you can't flash these with just any old calibration - like could be done with the LS1-B PCMs.

The new E38 you purchased ... it is Service Number 12625455, Yes ? (* see EDIT below *)

You had the dealer (or someone) load 2009 Corvette OS12628988 with a Tech 2, Yes ?

The 2009 model year brought many changes to the E38 calibrations - the increased injector flow limit is the one people seem to appreciate most. However, that particular OS could present problems if you tried to flash it over a different 2009 OS. Some of the parameters appear to be holdovers from the 2008 and earlier calibration platform.

* EDIT: that particular 2009 OS may require E38 Service Number 12612384 (2008 model year) *

Attached is a PDF to help with the clutch relearn ....
    Last edited by Taz; December 14th, 2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: - typo

Thanks, I figured out the clutch relearn on my own and did it with EFI Live. I was surprised that my MODIS would not do it. The car started and ran fine. Then I had to do the crank sensor relearn, I used my MODIS, after three tries I gave up. It kept asking me to accelerate to the fuel cut off, each time after several of those the engine would die and I had to start over. I gave up. I took it for a drive and it does the same thing it did before I replaced the computer. Engine shuts off on acceleration. I have no idea what to try next. I need someone in Southern California that is an expert on this stuff.

I'm in SoCal (GG)...

I know LS1 stuff reasonably well (mostly relating to F-car)... I don't know too much about E38//E67 stuff.

This problem corrected itself when I disconnected the battery and tried again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12