Thread: What is BCC ?

Default What is BCC ?

I saw a field in the calibration screen called BCC ?
    what is it and what it used to ?
    EFILive Tuner

Lifetime Member

BCC = Broad Cast Code (or Broadcast Code)

The BCC in conjunction with the Hardware Number and Service Number indicate the internal features of the PCM / ECM, and of potentially compatible programming options.

Regards,
    Taz

So if a tuned car restored to the same OS and the VIN number changed to its same number will the dealer knows that it was tuned ?
    should the bcc number changed to the stock number with the VIN number ?
    EFILive Tuner

It's really something that goes back to the LS1 days, in that ECM is was possible to change the text, so lets say your shop was called 'Jims Corvette Performance World' they might have chosen to change the BCC to JCPW for easy identification as one of their tunes without even reading the ECM. Don't read too much in to it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

So it is just a text field not used by dealer to know the ECM is tuned before ?
    EFILive Tuner

It's just some sort of internal GM reference. Actually, it comes from the 80's where GM used BCC's on the Memcals in the ECM's.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

To expand a little - actually GM has used broadcast codes from way before there were ECU's in cars. Its a code that is put on a part to identify it as a different version for a different set of options. Can apply to ECU's, transmissions, engines, sheetmetal, seats, windscreens. it goes on. Makes it easy to sort out from the build sheet that is with the car what to bolt onto it when it takes shape on the line when different variants are built of the same model.

For example - modern version - a VE/G8 trans is an RPO MYC. But every year and often model variant will have a different BCC. i.e. 07 is 7CVA. 10 is 0CVA. 12 truck might 2CRA. If the OS is the same, then the calibration changes due to truck, car, Vette etc, and BCC ID's this at a glance.

4L60/65E have dozens of BCC's - 6HZD, 5HBD. Trimatics (now we are getting way back - anyone know what a Trimatic was? Or Turbo Tri Harder as they are often known - though they have done time in fast drag cars ), were 100% mechanical, and the BCC identified which car the trans was going in.

And so it carried on into ECU's so variants could be ID'd.

Lol, yes I remember the Trimatic (aka THM-180 outside Australia), I used to work on them in my Dad's shop a long long time ago (when I was 18)...

the GMH literature had different band adjustment procedures depending on the BCC code on the side of the case, back then the code was a digit and two letters.