Thread: LM! meter smooth EFILIVE radical AFR

Default LM! meter smooth EFILIVE radical AFR

Tried researching this issue and could not find anything.

My LM-1 meter reads rich but is smooth and consistent. The program sees afr from 12.5-16 or so in frame to frame. If I adjust the ve table to try to get LM_1 to stoich the program sees it as seriously lean. Idle is worse than steady throttle but still not acceptable for afr reading. I have dropped the channel count to 23 also but still the same issue and very noticable at idle especially. I have included a log file with 31 channnls for idle viewing as much as I could. Doesnt matter if 31 channels or 23 channels I get the same results at idle or on steady throttle.

I am sure the program is using a lot more info than the LM-1 but for a while I was thinking it is the wideband sensor but that doesnt make sense to me when the lm-1 is smooth and pretty sure that is correct.

I monitor thru the dashboard B and can see the lm1 afr is jumping like crazy. I was also assuming the timing could be the culprit but no matter what I do with the timing I cant get the programs lm-1 afr to smooth out Its tough to work the timing when the AFR isnt stable at all.

Car runs nice but I will not full throttle it till I figure this one out. I blip the throttle and very responsive but dont dare to hold it down. I know when the program says 18 afr there is no knock while the lm-1 meter reads according to commanded or even a little richer.

I am running in olsd and thought maybe I was in semi olsd but checked everything several times and could not find the problem. Seems afr is fighting to correct air and fuel every single frame though.

My iacdes_B and dynair are fairly close and idle is acceptable.

This is a F1-C procharger 90 mm throttle body using fast intake, mahle -32cc pistons, best callies crank and rods, 68cc dart pro1 heads, 75 lb injectors, (have an alcohol inj system on it and a 500 hp nitrous setup with the best controller but wont use it till this is right first). dual 255 walbros with kenny bell voltage multiplier.

I have adjusted the injector flow rate table according to rc engineering specs, I run .0157 for B4349 and is the only way I can get iacdes_B and dynair close. I am thinking maybe B4950 needs to be adjusted also but is stock at 84 right now. (I could not find any conclusive info on changing this so I wont touch it till I gather more info).

There is one other problem I found and doubt it is connected but when I check the speedo tire size settings every time it makes corections to H0102 and H0104 with transaxle checked. Running 1999 C5. Not sure what is going on there but it shows setting are saved then when I add scanning results and check speedo again it changes it every time.

I am running Version 7.5.5 build 72 and seems like because I am using V1 I cannot get any more updates beyond this unless I upgrade to v2 which I dont feel I need just to tune the same engine I have had for years. Since the updates are not downloadable from the website like they use to be that I can see. I am hoping I am wrong but doubt that would fix this issue I am having with the afr anyway.

I am posting a small log and have made some minor changes since then but you will see what I am talking about with the afr issue right off.

Thank you for your time in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by louis; May 2nd, 2009 at 02:43 AM.

AFR is in sync with analog voltage.
    Where is the sensor installed in the exhaust?
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Thank you for your reply.

No cats and wideband 02 is in my collector. Running kooks 1-7/8 headers and 3 in x pipe exhaust all the way thru.

I am considering one item I have not changed yet and would like your opinion.

B4403 I just realized I have not adjusted that as yet for the 90 mm throttle body and I have had much success with changing B4349 to 0157 vs 0330. I am ready to change B4403 now by multiplying it by 1.44 the difference from 78 mm to 90 mm throttle body.

I see chalky suggested 0330 for B4349 but my iacdes_B and dynair went way out of whack then but should I have added in the B4349 also from above and would that be the right thing to do or I stick with 0157 and include multiplying B4403 by 44% now the way it is?

It also seems to me that B4350 should change from 84 mm to 90mm?

Thank you for your reply

I'm not too sure about changing ETC settings,
    personally I have found changing {B4307} with RAFIG, cures idle/low speed bucking.
    Also try increasing {B4311} + {B4312}
    so throttle cracker is not added to B4307 at low speed.
    Make sure you are not lean at low speeds as well.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

You need to go into the LM1 setup and make sure you are useing the correct voltage/AFR output for the flashscan wideband pid you you have selected, so wideband and flashscan read the same.

I can't quite recall but i think i reduced the sample rate that flashscan see's to prevent readings bouncing around so much and give a more consistant reading.
    Back yard boost
    347+ T76 = 770 rwhp 10.96 @ 135 mph

Also, you're logging too many pids, you're only getting 5 updates/second...

If you get your channel count to 24 or less you will see 10 updates/second.

+1 what johnv said, start the LM Programmer software and set the sample filter to 1/3 or 1/6... check the other settings while you're there (gaoline 14.7 stoich, and the default LM-1 voltage:afr curve).

Another trick that I used to help you get accurate AFR values is this.
    In logworks I set the EXT.AD1 channel to the same outputs as in the lc-1 tutorial. Then the EXT.AD2 channel to output a constant 2.5 volts.
    I then changed the LM-1 pid in the programme files/efilive/V7/user configuration/sae generic txt file to (({EXT.AD1}-({EXT.AD2}-2.5)*3)+7.35 .
    This will help remove voltage irregularities from the LM-1 unit & give you a more accurate reading. The only downfall to this method is whenever you upgrade Efilive you will need to redo the SAE.generic text file as it will be overwritten.
    The Tremor at AIR

Thank you all for your comments.

Changing B4403 for 90 mm tb worked out my idle very nicely. I just multiplied it by 1.44 and dynair and iacdes_B are much closer now. I actually had to bring B4349 down from .0157 to .0138 to get them even closer. Not sure if there is a different way and if so could I have left it at .0157 but I am happy with the idle now yet would love some conversation on this.

I agree B4307 was an easy fix for idle but I was more concerned about matching dynair and iacdes_B before I applied changes to B4307. When I did see an issue with idle after that and using rafig to log cold start I only had to add 2% to B4307 if idle had dropped at all.

I checked my LM-1 settings and it was on 1/6 and my problems with radical AFRs disappeared when I finally got dynair and iacdes_B a lot closer.

I knew I was running to many pids but didnt think it mattered at idle and even when I dropped pids to 23 channels I still had the radical AFRs thats when I realized it was something else which pointed me to the above fix.

I still would love to see if I could get even better AFR results with the lc-1 trick and will keep all posted on my results.

I have just cane back from a test run and all is well except the dreaded P1514 reduced power mode when trying to get on it. I have read almost all post on it and would like to know if I am doing the right thing from many suggestions here or if I'm missing something.

1. I logged the results when I hit this error and see when I hit 2.33 g/sec at approx 60% throttle I get the error. Can I assume that adjusting C3003 to 105 just before the error will take care of this? I am skeptical because another log I got the same error while 100% in the throttle at about 185 kpa and 2.33 g/sec and C3003 is set at 105 in that position. I have seen some put this whole map to 105 but dont see how that would affect my issues.

2. I am running olsd and I read another fix was to max out C2903 to 65535 but that is for maf which I have disabled at 1 so not sure if this person was running maf and can only assume he was so this should not apply. Or could it make the difference?

3. I have always had 6101 maxed out and dont see how changing this to lower settings could help but I took dfe1 6101 map and applied it to my setup and will be trying this all out in 30 minutes. I am also mapping 6101 this time in my logs to see how much change I might have to apply.

This is what looks like the only thing left holding me back from going balls to the wall here now finally and hope these changes will work. Any comments would be greatly appreciated and thank you all for you input. It is invaluable and well appreciated.

Thanks guys for all your comments. I will start another thread for my last issue.