Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GM to crack down on Aftermarket calibrated vehicles?

The thing to do is to have a spare ECM and to tune using it, keeping the original in a safe place...
    and install the original when you go for warranty work.

the main reasons for this are, when you go to the GM dealer (with original ECM installed):
    - you don't care if GM overwrite the ECM's flash,
    - you don't care if GM lock the ECM (inadvertantly or not),
    - you don't care if GM replace the ECM.

The side benefit is that they could never blame the ECM for voiding warranty purposes.

It is wise to have 2 ECM's.

Of course this may not always be practical.

It's like these people that mod their Xbox360's get banned from XboxLive and complain, well, even my Grandma knows that if you mod your Xbox360 you will get banned next time you go on-line, it's the price you pay.

I view the tuning of your car/truck the same, unfortunately I don't think GM are going to play the game nicely from now on even though there should be some understanding behind why sometimes vehicles need to be retuned.
    I recently heard of a truck getting a cracked radiator refused warranty because it had a aftermarket tune of some sort in it, that is plain dumb!

These days, how many people come in to a workshop or buy a tuning product to get better MPG or tuned for different conditions that the factory tune does not suit? A large majority I would say. So like the discussion above, GM run way too much timing for 87 Octane, so isn't it your right to be able to get 'your' ECM de-tuned to run the cheaper gas? I would say yes, in fact you might even save GM a warranty claim by doing so.
    The other side of the coin is people who do damage parts due to going a little too far with the tune, GM shouldn't have to pay for that, though, I guess they have in the past, that is changing, which is why the CVN is their last hope to catching people out.

What I am about to write will really annoy some of our customers, but please don't Email me complaining, post in here if you must vent, though it will not change our decision, but it will certainly get an interesting discussion happening.

We added in a CVN correction function to EFILive late last year, this has since been removed for a variety of reasons, the main one being (from our release notes) "Due to industry perception that EFILive’s software may be used to fraudulently change a controller’s CVNs, we have removed the CVN calculator."
    I think I will just say that allowing people to alter CVN's to what ever they wanted was going to end up getting nasty somewhere down the line. We didn't just remove it for the sake of it, please understand that. There was a number of people involved in this decision.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I had no idea you had pulled the CVN correction from EFILive. Regardless, for me, I could not justify the cost of the feature. I am sorry to see the feature removed.
    2015 Z06 A8

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    I had no idea you had pulled the CVN correction from EFILive. Regardless, for me, I could not justify the cost of the feature. I am sorry to see the feature removed.
    Ditto, the likelihood of me ever being able to tune enough rides to warrant a stream is doubtful but Im sorry to see any feature that has been worked on be removed. But if it was I know there must be a very good reason it was, and all of us want EFILive around for many years to come.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

GM is running on borrowed money/time, they will diligently seek to minimize losses (strongly attempt to refute warranty claims) and maximize gains (aggressively sue anyone they can)... it is best to give them no reason to do either.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    GM is running on borrowed money/time, they will diligently seek to minimize losses (strongly attempt to refute warranty claims) and maximize gains (aggressively sue anyone they can)... it is best to give them no reason to do either.
    Could not agree more. They literally have nothing to lose.

On the other hand, I still hope and beleive someone will find a way to alter CVNs. To many talented people just waiting for someone like GM to say "You Can't Do that". ( Is this wishful thinking )
    2015 Z06 A8

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It's like these people that mod their Xbox360's get banned from XboxLive and complain, well, even my Grandma knows that if you mod your Xbox360 you will get banned next time you go on-line, it's the price you pay.

I view the tuning of your car/truck the same, unfortunately I don't think GM are going to play the game nicely from now on even though there should be some understanding behind why sometimes vehicles need to be retuned.
    I recently heard of a truck getting a cracked radiator refused warranty because it had a aftermarket tune of some sort in it, that is plain dumb!

These days, how many people come in to a workshop or buy a tuning product to get better MPG or tuned for different conditions that the factory tune does not suit? A large majority I would say. So like the discussion above, GM run way too much timing for 87 Octane, so isn't it your right to be able to get 'your' ECM de-tuned to run the cheaper gas? I would say yes, in fact you might even save GM a warranty claim by doing so.
    The other side of the coin is people who do damage parts due to going a little too far with the tune, GM shouldn't have to pay for that, though, I guess they have in the past, that is changing, which is why the CVN is their last hope to catching people out.

What I am about to write will really annoy some of our customers, but please don't Email me complaining, post in here if you must vent, though it will not change our decision, but it will certainly get an interesting discussion happening.

We added in a CVN correction function to EFILive late last year, this has since been removed for a variety of reasons, the main one being (from our release notes) "Due to industry perception that EFILive’s software may be used to fraudulently change a controller’s CVNs, we have removed the CVN calculator."
    I think I will just say that allowing people to alter CVN's to what ever they wanted was going to end up getting nasty somewhere down the line. We didn't just remove it for the sake of it, please understand that. There was a number of people involved in this decision.

Cheers,
    Ross
    While I would love to know the specific reasons for withdrawing this feature as this is news to me, I was looking at the EFI website and it still makes reference to the CVN resetting feature. https://www.efilive.com/index.php?op...118&Itemid=127

Might be something that needs to be cleaned up!

I will hazard a guess about possible culprits that forced EFILive to make these changes:

CA. CARB
    EPA
    HPT

I still think EFIlive is a great company and really appreciate what you tried to do. Cheers!
    Last edited by Chalky; March 3rd, 2009 at 04:48 AM.
    2015 Z06 A8

On the other hand, I still hope and believe someone will find a way to alter CVNs. To many talented people just waiting for someone like GM to say "You Can't Do that". ( Is this wishful thinking )
    I think here is still at least two companies out there doing it on their mail order tunes (not using EFILive), it's not 'that' hard. But unfortunately when one kid in the sandpit starts crying out loud it tends to attract the attention of all the mums

While I would love to know the specific reasons for withdrawing this feature as this is news to me, I was looking at the EFI website and it still makes reference to the CVN resetting feature. https://www.efilive.com/index.php?op...118&Itemid=127
    Doh!, best fix that up today.
    One thing worth noting, I have said this for some time, the E38 & E67 are more than capable of logging reflash history, currently there appears to be no way to retrieve this data with TechII, but, I would not be surprised if this feature is turned on at some point.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I think here is still at least two companies out there doing it on their mail order tunes (not using EFILive), it's not 'that' hard. But unfortunately when one kid in the sandpit starts crying out loud it tends to attract the attention of all the mums

Doh!, best fix that up today.
    One thing worth noting, I have said this for some time, the E38 & E67 are more than capable of logging reflash history, currently there appears to be no way to retrieve this data with TechII, but, I would not be surprised if this feature is turned on at some point.

Cheers,
    Ross
    So, since you took away the CVN feature.....does this mean you're replacing it with the LS2/3/7/9 ETC CONTROL TABLES?????

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    So, since you took away the CVN feature.....does this mean you're replacing it with the LS2/3/7/9 ETC CONTROL TABLES?????

Chuck CoW
    That would be very nice....When's it happening Ross?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast