PDA

View Full Version : How do I disable VATS.

PRAY
February 18th, 2009, 04:46 AM
My buddy has a 02 SS that won't start. He has replaced every thing except the starter it's self. He has good voltage and all the accessories work but there is no contact to the starter. His security light flashes when he goes to the key on possition. Through his research he has determined it is his VATS system. How do I disable that with EFI live? Is it in the DTC's? I read some thing about a patch? Thanks.

Brett

joecar
February 18th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Hi Brett,

Did he check:
- starter relay fuse,
- starter relay (swap it with another like-looking one).

Look at the attached diagram.

Edit: disconnect circuit 625 from the BCM at C220:J and connect it to ground (i.e. grounding relay pin C6).

In the tunefile set G1201 to None.

mr.prick
February 18th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Did he try cleaning the key resistor?
Sometimes my car will do this if the key is not fully seated in the ignition.
Other than putting the proper resistor inline between the key and the BCM,
you can do nothing.
How To Bypass VATS (http://vats.likeabigdog.com/)
Adaptive Performance Vats Bypass Module (http://www.adaptiveperformance.com/vats.htm)
There is no way to tune out VATS.

GMPX
February 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM
There is no way to tune out VATS.
I need to correct you there a little bit.
If you go to the System section of the tune, then go in to the 'Theft' folder.
Change G1201 to 'None' , VATS gone.
However, I am not an expert on F-body wiring so I don't know how the starter system works on them. But the VATS disable in the PCM tune will cut fuel, normally it will still allow the engine to crank.

Cheers,
Ross

PRAY
February 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys. I am going to tell him about the the thread and see what he has done. I know he replaced/checked all the relays and fuses. He didn't pull the starter yet. We were trying to avoid that. He did put a new neutral safety switch and ignition cylinder in. If I can get it to crank by disableing the VATS will the bypass get the car to start?

ChipsByAl
February 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Before removing the starter, check and see if the 10 or 12 gauge wire at C102 gets 12 volts when the key is in the crank position. The connector is on the passenger side wheelwell, easy to get to. If it doesn't, back track to the relay and if you don't get a ground from the BCM (yellow/black wire), the vehicle is in theft mode. The Security light is either blinking or remaining illuminated, normally it should go off. 9 times out of 10 the ignition cylinder is at fault, usually more often. That is easy to check as well. Disconnect the VATS lead at the base of the column, it is a two wire connector with a solid orange casing. Measure the resistance of the key and record it. Insert the key into the ignition cylinder and measure the resistance at the end of the key cylinder harness, the resistance should be the same and should stay steady while moving the key thoughout all of several rotations of the key. If it faulters and it isn't you, change the cylinder and get a couple of spare keys.
Al

mr.prick
February 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I need to correct you there a little bit.
If you go to the System section of the tune, then go in to the 'Theft' folder.
Change G1201 to 'None' , VATS gone.
However, I am not an expert on F-body wiring so I don't know how the starter system works on them. But the VATS disable in the PCM tune will cut fuel, normally it will still allow the engine to crank.

Cheers,
Ross

This does`nt fully remove VATS. :throw:
If it`s not cranking and the security light is flashing,
the key/ignition cylinder or the BCM is most likely the problem.

Make sure the BCM is getting the key signal.
Here is the BCM pinouts.
Pull the connector, and measure the resistance between C2 and C14,
it should be the same as the key,
if not your problem is between the BCM and the key.