PDA

View Full Version : Gm

CWR
February 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure if I need to post this here or somewhere else, everybody probably knows that GM sent out a bulletin on how to use a tech 2 to find out if a vehicle has been programed. that bulletin also says that if it has been programed with anything it voids warranty bumper to bumper.

joecar
February 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM
CWR, do you have a copy of the TSB...?

GAMEOVER
February 19th, 2009, 07:11 AM
CWR, do you have a copy of the TSB...?

X's 2

GMPX
February 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
How can programming the ECM void the warranty of your mirror falling off, your steering wheel stitching coming out? Seems a bit extreme, unless you meant it voids all drivetrain warranty?

Cheers,
Ross

CWR
February 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
gmpx, I thought the same thing but I work at a dealership and we have had to void warranty on 2 trucks so far. and yes for some reason it does void warranty bumper to bumper even under 36k miles. I think its stupid. I usually don't try to find out if the truck has a programer or has been programed with anything else when I'm diaging them. the trucks the warranty got voided on blew the tips off the injectors. they were both diesels.

joecar, Ill see if the service manager will print it off for me today. The only thing that changes on the program ID is an * is added when programed. so I'm told

joecar
February 20th, 2009, 02:51 AM
CWR, thanks.

Chalky
February 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM
gmpx, I thought the same thing but I work at a dealership and we have had to void warranty on 2 trucks so far. and yes for some reason it does void warranty bumper to bumper even under 36k miles. I think its stupid. I usually don't try to find out if the truck has a programer or has been programed with anything else when I'm diaging them. the trucks the warranty got voided on blew the tips off the injectors. they were both diesels.

joecar, Ill see if the service manager will print it off for me today. The only thing that changes on the program ID is an * is added when programed. so I'm told

Am I correct in stating that the two warranties cancelled were diesels? Last time I talked to the master tech @ a Chevy store he assured me that if I bring my 08 Corvette in with a reflashed stock tune, he could not tell nor was he away of a way to tell it had been flashed by me.

Sparky8370
February 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM

GM could wind up getting sued if they do this. It is against the law. They can not void a warranty because of a tuner or different tune. They can refuse to repair something on warranty if they can prove that the failure occured as a direct result of the non factory alteration.
Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

CWR
February 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM
Am I correct in stating that the two warranties cancelled were diesels? Last time I talked to the master tech @ a Chevy store he assured me that if I bring my 08 Corvette in with a reflashed stock tune, he could not tell nor was he away of a way to tell it had been flashed by me.

Yes they were both diesels. I have seen one vet that would could verify a reflash even though it was stock, but it was programed with ls1 edit. I programed one of the other techs trucks "5.7 camed, procharged, and a 4l80" I'll double check with his truck on being able to see efilive tunes. Its not looking at the things changed to the computer it just puts an * next to the ID. I'll get the tsb and post soon.

GTPprix
February 21st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Good lord its groundhog day... this bulletin is ooooold and its not a bumper to bumper warranty void that would be 100% illegal under magnuson moss plus a failure would have to be PROVED IN COURT to have been caused by the tune (or aftermarket part) if someone wanted to persue it.

shane
February 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I know of dealers in Melbourne that are having cars reflashed at sale along with exhausts, cold air intakes.These are NEW cars, work that out the warranty guy?
S:secret:Shane

GMPX
February 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM
The attitude in Australia is very different to the US, I know of a dealer in Sydney that was offering new cars with everything from cold air intakes to turbo kits with full warranty retained.

Cheers,
Ross

Chalky
February 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Time for me to move to Australia. :)

GTPprix
February 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Time for me to move to Australia. :)

I've been saying that for YEEEEARS now, unfortunately well... yeah LOL

GAMEOVER
February 24th, 2009, 10:10 AM
The attitude in Australia is very different to the US, I know of a dealer in Sydney that was offering new cars with everything from cold air intakes to turbo kits with full warranty retained.

Cheers,
Ross

Damn!!! Are you serious? That's nuts...:)

GAMEOVER
February 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
So Auto Dealer's(in Australia) are actually competition for Tuning workshop's or Tuner's...

ringram
February 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Dealers in the UK fit superchargers, exhaust and tunes. They probably go futher than anywhere else with mods..

BUT it doesnt stop Vauxhall refusing warranty claims for transmissions etc.

CWR
March 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Ok, i talked to the gm rep when he was at the dealership the other day. He said that any programing even if it is back to stock will void the powertrain warranty. It will also void any other warranty if determind the after market program caused the problem.

I know its kind of stupid but that came straight from the gm warranty auditer and the rep. Gm is cracking down on all warranty. Makes my job hard as a tech.

GMPX
March 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Someone needs to demonstrate to these warranty reps that some factory released tunes have a lot of knock activity, then retune with no knock and dare them to void your warranty!

Cheers,
Ross

shane
March 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Ive rebuilt a few lo k engines into strokers etc and when measuring pistons there can be 10 tho difference between them and im talking less than 20000km. And there worried about us tuning them !!.we probably save more engines than we damage id reckon.........Mind you i had a customer of mine with a 700 turbo clubby ,was contacted by holden last week and offered extended warranty he laughed at them and declined..(If they only knew lol)
:hihi:Shane