PDA

View Full Version : Adding Turbo Hiss

Mad Maxx
February 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I actually Like the Turbo Hiss at Idle and want to make it Louder.

I saw the Thread a few Down, and saw how to get Rid of the Hiss, so I just basically Reversed everything.

In the Tables (B2210-B2215) I made the RPM 300-800 & mm3 0-20 Values 100%.

Then in Tables (B2222-B2224) again, I made the RPM 300-800 & mm3 0-20 Values 100%.

Is this all I need to do?

And this won't Hurt anything right?

Bruce Melton
February 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Leaky intake and exhaust manifolds will help.

Mad Maxx
February 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
K, I'll Back each Bolt Out a Turn.

Now...how about a Reply that'll actually Help.

DmaxHawk
February 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Make sure you have your maximum tables to 100% or they will limit how much the vanes will go

Thats pretty much all you gotta do

No damage other than longer cool down times for the EGTs

CATdiezel
February 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
I actually Like the Turbo Hiss at Idle and want to make it Louder.

I saw the Thread a few Down, and saw how to get Rid of the Hiss, so I just basically Reversed everything.

In the Tables (B2210-B2215) I made the RPM 300-800 & mm3 0-20 Values 100%.

Then in Tables (B2222-B2224) again, I made the RPM 300-800 & mm3 0-20 Values 100%.

Is this all I need to do?

And this won't Hurt anything right?

Im almost positive your engine will never cool down..... Good luck getting it below 300* after a run. Matter of fact it will stay warm for a LONG TIME with the vanes closed that much.

With that much backpressure, im sure it will also ramp up the fuel rate due to the engine being sluggish so the exhaust fumes will probably burn your eyes.

Give it a try and tell us what happens.

I just brought my percentages down to 40% I think---actually it might have been 20% to help it cool off quicker when im ready to shut it down.

EGT's im speaking of

As for the 06lbz--I believe the maximum percentage is 85% if I remember correctly.

DmaxHawk
February 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Im almost positive your engine will never cool down..... Good luck getting it below 300* after a run. Matter of fact it will stay warm for a LONG TIME with the vanes closed that much.

With that much backpressure, im sure it will also ramp up the fuel rate due to the engine being sluggish so the exhaust fumes will probably burn your eyes.

Give it a try and tell us what happens.

I just brought my percentages down to 40% I think---actually it might have been 20% to help it cool off quicker when im ready to shut it down.

EGT's im speaking of

As for the 06lbz--I believe the maximum percentage is 85% if I remember correctly.

It does take a long time to cool off but it will get to 300. fumes are not that bad. I had my vanes set at 99 at one point.

20% is a good place to have them i think. it sounds good and it cools down faster

Mad Maxx
February 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
It does take a long time to cool off but it will get to 300. fumes are not that bad. I had my vanes set at 99 at one point.

20% is a good place to have them i think. it sounds good and it cools down faster

So you upped yours to 20 rather than the 10% you recommended in another Thread?

DmaxHawk
February 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
So you upped yours to 20 rather than the 10% you recommended in another Thread?

No I didnt, I said that '20% is a good place to have them I think'. I still have them at 10%. I tested them at 20 and i liked the way it sounded, plus it will cool off pretty fast since they are still pretty open.

Mad Maxx
February 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Oh ok.

CATdiezel
February 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
I suppose this would be no worse than leaving he exhaust brake on at idle....

One positive note about THAT much vane closure would be instant warm up time.

Wouldnt want that in the summer but to each his own I suppose.

DmaxHawk
February 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I suppose this would be no worse than leaving he exhaust brake on at idle....

One positive note about THAT much vane closure would be instant warm up time.

Wouldnt want that in the summer but to each his own I suppose.

Thats a good point. Ill try that next year.

CATdiezel
February 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Its funny I caught onto this thread because of the very reason of "HEAT" I pulled the vane closure out of it for summer use. But will probably put it back in when it gets cold again. (Even though were not completely done being cold yet.....)

I just feel that 100% is a bit too much backpressure for idle and that much backpressure will cause the engine to bogdown and add fuel....

If a fella is not worried about the extra fuel consumption then No Worries and HISS AWAY.

As I too think it sounds very cool!!

Mad Maxx
February 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM
Ok, I Loaded in the Hissy Idle just now, and I hate it. It doesn't Sound any different than Stock, and when I turn the Truck Off, there is a weird Buzz under the Hood.

So Stock or LB7 Idle it is! LB7 for now.

DmaxHawk
February 23rd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Ok, I Loaded in the Hissy Idle just now, and I hate it. It doesn't Sound any different than Stock, and when I turn the Truck Off, there is a weird Buzz under the Hood.

So Stock or LB7 Idle it is! LB7 for now.

That buzz is the turbo vane sensor trying to find a position that it cant get to IIRC. Are you sure your max tables match the vane position that you have set?

Mad Maxx
February 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
I have the Max Target at 100 and Min Target at 95 I think.

It's all on my other Computer, I'm on a Mac now.

But I like the LB7 Idle better now.

DmaxHawk
February 23rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
I have the Max Target at 100 and Min Target at 95 I think.

It's all on my other Computer, I'm on a Mac now.

But I like the LB7 Idle better now.

Dont keep the min at 95, that means that the ECU doesnt want the vanes to go below that at all.

Cool

Mad Maxx
February 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
So put the Min back down to 0?

So that was prob. the Problem right?

DmaxHawk
February 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Id say 2.5. thats where they are stock.

It might have been

Mad Maxx
February 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Ok. I'll give that a shot.

herculesduramax
February 24th, 2009, 05:18 AM
why in the hell would you want to make the hiss louder than it is stock? Sounds like a vacuum cleaner. A buddy of mine was sitting in his truck during a presidential campaign rally a few years ago, and several cops actually came over and inspected his exhaust to make sure it wasn't a bomb they were hearing. that hiss cause problems. real diesels rumble like an old 12 valve

CATdiezel
February 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Each man has his own taste, I DO like and LOVE the sound of a jet engine and the duramax with the vanes closed sounds like a jet engine. The ONLY reason I got rid of it was for warmer weather and EGT's at idle and cool down.

Other than that rock on!! As for the cops---they were probably liberals and didnt like the diesel at all :fluffy: <--Liberals