PDA

View Full Version : Cax file to mimick COS5?

Kevin Doe
February 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'm not very familiar with CAX files, and what you can do with them. But, I have a 1MB OS, on my 2004 GTO PCM. There is no COS5 available, and EFI Live is not willing to develop one, (I even offered to pay for it). Can a cax file be used to basically make my own COS5? Right now I'm using COS3, but I really want the COS5 features. If someone is willing to make me a COS5 I would be willing to pay you. I just don't have the knowhow.

:cucumber: Just because it looked cool.

Blacky
February 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
No a cax file can't be used to implement a custom operating system. Cax files can only configure EFILive to modify the calibrations. COS5 (and all custom OS's) have had changes made to the executable code to make them operate differently than the normla GM software.

Regards
Paul

Kevin Doe
February 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Well damn. There went that idea. So who can I paypal to make a COS5 for the 1MB PCMs? :lol:

ringram
February 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
If you have enough $ Im sure Ross would do it. But you might need a lot :)

Highlander
May 1st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Can't you just change PCMs?

Kevin Doe
May 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
I suppose I could, but that would require a wiring harness chnage as well. My engine is in an RX-7, so a lot of the harness is customized, and it would take a lot of rework to make a different PCM work.

Stealth97
May 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM
I suppose I could, but that would require a wiring harness chnage as well. My engine is in an RX-7, so a lot of the harness is customized, and it would take a lot of rework to make a different PCM work.

No it wouldnt. The harness doesn't need to be changed, just the ends need to be pinned for the correct year of PCM. I put a 2001-2002 PCM into my 1998 L31 and had to swap every single pin to the new style connectors. Was very simple and easy and took maybe an hour with a schematic.

Or you could just build a harness adapter using a junk ECM and some connectors. Several have done this on the PA & A forum and here.

All you need to know if what year harness is in the RX-7 and what vehicle is it from. What modifications are done to it. Then you need a schematic from an earlier COS5 capable vehicle and make yours match the new one.

Two sheets of paper, some tools and about 1-2 hours of your time. Done.

If you lived in Los Angeles, I'd be willing to do it with you in person and walk you through it.

Kevin Doe
May 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
I had thought about that before, but I wasn't sure what was all involved.

My harness is from a 2004 GTO originally. If I were to change to a differenet PCM and re-pin my harness, what PCM would be the ideal one to go with. Since I don't have one, I'd assume there would be a best one to pick.

joecar
May 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
And you need the Metri-Pack pick tool to "pick" the pins out of the connector.

Biggsy
May 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM

or a small jewellers type screwdriver if you are a cheapa$$ like me!

Stealth97
May 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM

I used two mini picks from my "pack of 4 mini picks". I used a straight or the slight bent one to move up the plastic retaining tab and then the other to push the pin out. Took a little time on the first ten, then I got a system down and it was CAKE.

Stealth97
May 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
I had thought about that before, but I wasn't sure what was all involved.

My harness is from a 2004 GTO originally. If I were to change to a differenet PCM and re-pin my harness, what PCM would be the ideal one to go with. Since I don't have one, I'd assume there would be a best one to pick.

Any PCM that is COS5 capable. Would that be a 512k PCM? I use a 12200411. Not sure which operating system you want though.

hquick
May 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
or a small jewellers type screwdriver if you are a cheapa$$ like me!

Or a pair of nail scissors...if you're cheaper! :hihi:

ChipsByAl
May 2nd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Actually for that PCM, I do not use any tool at all. Push the terminal out from the back a little bit, push the terminal a bit to the side and pull the wire right out the back of the connector. I do use a small "ice pick" type tool to create holes in the connector when relocating a wire to a spot that previously was unused.
Al

Stealth97
May 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
Actually for that PCM, I do not use any tool at all. Push the terminal out from the back a little bit, push the terminal a bit to the side and pull the wire right out the back of the connector. I do use a small "ice pick" type tool to create holes in the connector when relocating a wire to a spot that previously was unused.
Al

Great point Al. Remembering back I did figure out how to get the pins out fast with just one pick to lift the retaining tab and a pull on the wire. The crimps are good. Great job doing it with no tool!

And yes, you will need a straight slim pick to open new holes in the black rubber to use previously unused slots. Great advice Al!

joecar
May 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
PCM 12200411 is widely used and cheaply available used or new...

If you get a new one, get it programmed with the file for 2002 F-car w/manual trans (12212156).

1998ws6
October 15th, 2009, 03:23 AM
check the pinouts, you may be suprised when it is very similar between the two.

Ryan