PDA

View Full Version : What year were BCMs added

turbo_bu
February 23rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Does anyone know about what year GM started adding BCM's? I am contemplating doing a couple swaps in the next few years and was trying to avoid having to deal with them. I know my '04 Duramax has one, but did any of the Camaro's (2000 - 2002)??? Do you get a BCM when you go to like an E38 PCM?

joecar
February 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
1998-2002 Camaro has BCM (but it's not on the serial bus... it supplies a signal on a dedicated line to allow the PCM to fuel and the starter relay to engage).

I don't know about your other questions... but I think any vehicle with a E38 also would have a BCM...

BCM controls remote door locks and interior/exterior lighting... if those are present then the vehicle has a BCM.

Happy Jim
February 24th, 2009, 08:22 AM
1998-2002 Camaro has BCM (but it's not on the serial bus... it supplies a signal on a dedicated line to allow the PCM to fuel and the starter relay to engage).

I don't know about your other questions... but I think any vehicle with a E38 also would have a BCM...

BCM controls remote door locks and interior/exterior lighting... if those are present then the vehicle has a BCM.

I'll bow to Joecar's superior knowledge, but if it helps the OP I've got a 2000 Camaro LS1 & T56 as a cut out fitted in my Cobra Replica - No BCM and the Fuel/Starter work fine.

Rgds

Jim

gmh308
February 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
E38 cars all have BCM's from the factory. Increasingly GM seems to be making the BCM the centre of the world.

That said, as Happy Jim mentions, PCM/ECM's can run without them, unless you want cruise control.......:doh2:

As Joe notes, they typically do lights, door locking, as well as cruise control, TUTD shift control, and in 07/08 on, depending on model, maybe two dozen other things too.

:cheers:

joecar
February 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Jim, you're gracious... :D ...lol, I don't have superior knowledge, I simply went to the service manual and looked up the BCM diagrams/descriptions (and I humbly learned a few things along the way)... is this cheating...?:hihi:

If you bypass the BCM starter relay wire and edit VATS to Off in the calibration, the PCM will run the motor... is this what you have done Jim...?

More info (see 2002 F-car wire diagram): showthread.php?t=10047&highlight=VATS (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10047&highlight=VATS)

Happy Jim
February 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks Jim, you're gracious... :D ...lol, I don't have superior knowledge, I simply went to the service manual and looked up the BCM diagrams/descriptions (and I humbly learned a few things along the way)... is this cheating...?:hihi:

If you bypass the BCM starter relay wire and edit VATS to Off in the calibration, the PCM will run the motor... is this what you have done Jim...?

More info (see 2002 F-car wire diagram): showthread.php?t=10047&highlight=VATS (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10047&highlight=VATS)

You read the manual......and admitted it :hihi::hihi:

VATs set to off via the Calibration, self made fuse/relay setup so essentially used the Camaro loom in it's standalone mode (binned a couple of circuits) and then ditched all that strange emissions stuff :angel_innocent:

gmh308
February 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
You read the manual......and admitted it :hihi::hihi:

VATs set to off via the Calibration, self made fuse/relay setup so essentially used the Camaro loom in it's standalone mode (binned a couple of circuits) and then ditched all that strange emissions stuff :angel_innocent:

Nice Cobra!

joecar
February 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yes, very nice Cobra, I bet it hauls...:cheers:

Yes, I'm the first to admit reading the manual... :D

gmh308
February 25th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, very nice Cobra, I bet it hauls...:cheers:

Yes, I'm the first to admit reading the manual... :D

:grin: You guys in the US are spoilt for manuals, or any kind of reading material for that matter. Anything in print downunder is sky rocket $$ by comparison, if you can get it.

The VE Commodore was released in 2006 and still there is no factory manual for it. :doh:

And the model before that is $500 on CD. Not exactly accessible to your everyday enthusiast! :shock:

:cheers: