PDA

View Full Version : Beta testing for SF .

Chevy366
February 27th, 2009, 01:48 PM
SO where is the Beta section for Standalone Flashing ? :wallbash:
Is it there yet , is there yet ? :doh2:
:gossip:

joecar
February 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I don't think Paul's quite ready for BBF just yet.

mr.prick
February 27th, 2009, 03:58 PM
He said maybe at the end of the month. :bawl:

Blacky
March 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

ScarabEpic22
March 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Good news for AutoCal people but I cant spend $150 for an AutoCal unit right now, guess Ill be waiting for FlashScan BBF... :(

Blacky
March 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Good news for AutoCal people but I cant spend $150 for an AutoCal unit right now, guess Ill be waiting for FlashScan BBF... :(

The FlashScan standalone reading/flashing will be running in parallel with the AutoCal firmware/software beta release, so you can still participate with your FlashScan V2. The only downside is that if there is a problem with the beta software or firmware you might have a non-usable V2 until we can fix the problem.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
March 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM

I am with you there Erik , $150 to Beta test , no thanks . :bad:
You do realize that that is how it reads or can be interpreted .
Don't take the comment the wrong way , it was intended to solicit a negative reaction .

Blacky
March 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM
I am with you there Erik , $150 to Beta test , no thanks . :bad:
You do realize that that is how it reads or can be interpreted .

Sure, I realize that's how it reads, that's is exactly what I mean. You can still participate and test or just try out the software and firmware free using your FlashScan V2.

Just interested in your point of view, did you expect that EFILive would be giving away AutoCal units for testing? I had considered doing that, but with our past experience of beta testing, it is a sure way to sort out the folks who are: "I just wanna play with new toys free of charge" v's the folks who are: "I am serious about testing and am prepared to pay to show how serious I am".

By the way AutoCal's will not retail for $150 when they are released publicly. The $150 price tag is a considerable discount.

Also I should point out that the AutoCal units used for beta testing differ slightly from the final product in the following ways:
1. The beta units do not have circuit protection on the power, and/or USB lines, the production units do.
2. The beta units do not have a serial I/O built in*, the prodcutions units do have serial I/O built in. The serial I/O allows a serial data stream (like wide band O2) to be logged.

* Not being built in means the beta units will still support serial I/O but require an external interface circuit.

Those differences influenced our decision to sell the beta units at a considerable discount instead of retail.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
March 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
No I know you cannot afford to give away AutoCal units free Paul, just the way your post is worded makes it sound like beta testing for flashing is ONLY for AutoCal units and NOT FlashScan ones. I would buy an AutoCal unit and use it for testing/feedback/etc but I just cannot afford $150 right now. Being in college without a job means a very limited budget so some things I simply cannot purchase.

Ill be testing with my V2 when I can, helping read and tune the P10 PCMs all day long! :D

joecar
March 2nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
The FlashScan standalone reading/flashing will be running in parallel with the AutoCal firmware/software beta release, so you can still participate with your FlashScan V2. The only downside is that if there is a problem with the beta software or firmware you might have a non-usable V2 until we can fix the problem.Paul is pointing out that you can still beta test BBF using your V2.

Chevy366
March 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Paul is pointing out that you can still beta test BBF using your V2.
Thanks for the explanation Paul .
I saw that, but it also states, kind of at your own risk, and not on a production unit, because it may break something, and you might have to wait for a fix .
Believe me I am ecstatic about the possibilities of SF , will make life so much easier . :)
Just remember American's are in bad shape right now , we don't have all the spendable cash we use to have . :secret:

poolshark021
March 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
So anyone with a V2 can try the beta software without having to fill out an application?

ScarabEpic22
March 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Paul is pointing out that you can still beta test BBF using your V2.

I know joe, I was merely pointing out that in the beta testing forum the way the post is worded it seems like testing is ONLY for AutoCal and that FlashScan users are SOL. I know I can participate now, Im just trying to help people after me so they arent confused like I was before Paul clarified it.

Blacky
March 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
So anyone with a V2 can try the beta software without having to fill out an application?

That is an option, the beta software will be posted on the web site.

However, the beta forum won't be public and will only be made available to testers that have submitted an application and have been accepted.

The reason is we can't have hundreds of people all reporting back issues, suggestions, changes etc. The management of those reports becomes too much to handle and the testing process gets bogged down. When we have a small group of testers, each with a particular area of expertise or testing platform available, then it remains manageable.

So even if you are not part of the beta test group, you will be able to try out the software (at your own risk).

Regards
Paul

Highlander
March 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I am so sure that $150 is way under the cost of these units.

bballer182
March 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I hope they pick me. have access to lots of lmm/lbz/llys

2002_z28_six_speed
March 12th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I hope BBF will be provided to V2 owners for free. I purchased my V2 in 2006 under the impression that I would not need a laptop in a couple of months. Since then I have had to purchase a laptop to get my shit to work and it died earlier last year from overheating the graphics card. I am not going to buy another one so my EFILIVE is completely useless....

It's getting ridiculous. I could of purchased a V1 under the pretense that this was going to take so long to come out.

Blacky
March 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I hope BBF will be provided to V2 owners for free. I purchased my V2 in 2006 under the impression that I would not need a laptop in a couple of months. Since then I have had to purchase a laptop to get my shit to work and it died earlier last year from overheating the graphics card. I am not going to buy another one so my EFILIVE is completely useless....

It's getting ridiculous. I could of purchased a V1 under the pretense that this was going to take so long to come out.

All software and firmware updates are free.
Regards
Paul

Ira
March 16th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I saw that, but it also states, kind of at your own risk, and not on a production unit, because it may break something, and you might have to wait for a fix

You need to read the definition of "beta test". Being in a beta test is about taking a risk in trade for some reward. In this case mostly getting an early chance to play with something. I've gotten T-Shirts, mugs, a rear-view mirror for my monitor, and a Flashscan for being a beta tester. I've also lost everything on my hard drive more than once and the last hours edits of source code more times than I can remember. Risky is testing an editor, insane is testing disk defraggers and caches. I've done all of that, mostly for a few thousand dollars worth of free software. Sometimes when your contribution is way beyond what's expected you get something really amazing, the FlashScan was like that, more often you just get free software. The best reward for me is when I end up with a product that works better for me because the authors listened to and thought about what I had to say.

But before you become a beta tester for anything, make sure the risk is acceptable. And remember, there's always risk. In this case at the easy end it might be you can't tune for a month and if you're desperate you get to pay overnight shipping both ways for me to put it back to the old firmware, or if it really goes to heck your car might not run for a week or need a new ECM. So that's the risk in beta testing EFILive, and with something like stand alone flashing the risk factor is considerably higher then with a lot of other things.

Now you get to think about the past and what problems you've heard about in previous betas, how they were handled and what you can put up with.

And you'll usually end up signing a non-disclosure so you can't officially talk about it except in the beta section or on the phone with another tester or the author.

So think about what it means before you make the choice.

Ira

limited cv8r
March 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
what is the general agenda for this beta testing, just trying to get a heads up on what would be involved.:secret:

Blacky
March 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
what is the general agenda for this beta testing, just trying to get a heads up on what would be involved.:secret:

Well first you would need to submit an AutoCal beta tester's application, unless you have already and I missed it.
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_rsform&Itemid=135

Regards
Paul

Happy Jim
March 27th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Did things start and I missed it, or are we running behind schedule?

Rgds

Jim

Blacky
March 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Did things start and I missed it, or are we running behind schedule?

Rgds

Jim

The beta test started about two weeks ago, the beta applications closed last week.
Once the beta software is stable/working, it will be made available for download. That should be in about a week.

Regards
Paul

Garry
March 29th, 2009, 01:54 AM
:rockon::cheers::grd:

THEFERMANATOR
March 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Not quite sure where to post this, so figure I would here where the AUTOCAL has been mentioned. I was talking to a tuner the other day about my conversion I am doing, and he mentioned the AUTOCAL as possibly being a good route for me to take once it's available. I understand this unit allows stand-alone flashing with a tuners pre-loaded tunes, but what else will it do? Will it be able to work with EFILIVE tune tool as well similiar to that of the V2? I'm not looking to do engine tuning myself, I found one I want to do that part. My question mostly pertains to gear changes, speedometer settings, and changing shift points some to match my set-up. It is an 01 DMAX/ALLY that I am swapping into an older body style SUBURBAN and may want to make tweaks to some of the settings to make it all work. Will the AUTOCAL be able to do this, or will I need to get a V2?

Blacky
March 29th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Not quite sure where to post this, so figure I would here where the AUTOCAL has been mentioned. I was talking to a tuner the other day about my conversion I am doing, and he mentioned the AUTOCAL as possibly being a good route for me to take once it's available. I understand this unit allows stand-alone flashing with a tuners pre-loaded tunes, but what else will it do? Will it be able to work with EFILIVE tune tool as well similiar to that of the V2? I'm not looking to do engine tuning myself, I found one I want to do that part. My question mostly pertains to gear changes, speedometer settings, and changing shift points some to match my set-up. It is an 01 DMAX/ALLY that I am swapping into an older body style SUBURBAN and may want to make tweaks to some of the settings to make it all work. Will the AUTOCAL be able to do this, or will I need to get a V2?

The AutoCal units are designed to be sold to end users and supported by workshops, dealers, resellers. EFILive will most likely not be selling single units to the general public. There will be a number of features that tuners can turn on or off before selling AutoCal units to their customers.

With the most features turned on (the most expensive option) AutoCal will behave almost the same as FlashScan and will allow full scanning, logging and tuning duties. Obviously it has no external inputs and no SD card so it will be limited in its scanning duties by those missing features.

With the least number of options turned on (the most cost effective option), AutoCal will perform scanning, data logging and reflashing of preloaded tunes only. In this minimum configuration the end user will rely on the tuner that sold the AutoCal unit to make changes to any tuning parameters.

So it will really be up to the tuner that you purchase AutoCal from what options you and the tuner decide to activate.

Regards
Paul

THEFERMANATOR
March 29th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Thank you:thumb_yello:. Sounds like the right option for me. I don't need any real adjustments for fueling or timing, just maybe an idle tweak, speedometer, gears, and possibly some torque management with a shift point change. Never know how it will react in a different vehicle being set-up for road trips and some moderate towing vs factory built for general useage.

mr.prick
March 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM
it has no external inputs
Looks like people will need to get creative to log AFR.

Blacky
March 29th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like people will need to get creative to log AFR.

There is a serial option*... but using it requires opening the AutoCal and soldering onto the circuit board. A fairly trivial hack but one that will void the warranty.

*The serial option (logically identical to the serial port on FlashScan) was required in order to program the Infineon CPU during manufacturing.

Regards
Paul

Happy Jim
March 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
The beta test started about two weeks ago, the beta applications closed last week.
Once the beta software is stable/working, it will be made available for download. That should be in about a week.

Regards
Paul

Many thanks for the update Paul.

Rgds

Jim

TAQuickness
March 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
The AC beta is going well :)

mr.prick
March 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM
There is a serial option*... but using it requires opening the AutoCal and soldering onto the circuit board. A fairly trivial hack but one that will void the warranty.

*The serial option (logically identical to the serial port on FlashScan) was required in order to program the Infineon CPU during manufacturing.

Regards
Paul

Is this to be a cheaper alternative to the V2?
Something like a regular handheld but with the Flashcan software?

TAQuickness
March 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Think of it as a great solution to mail order tuning

THEFERMANATOR
March 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Any idea when BETA testing will be complete and the unit will be available? I'm anxiously awaiting this product as it sounds perfect for what I am doing. I already found a company to do my tuning, just want to have limited adjustemnt capability.

TAQuickness
March 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm sure the guys have a schedule in mind, but the most solid answer is, it will be released after stability is proven. Hang in there.

bobo
March 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM
What are the prices associated with getting setup to sell Autocal units?

mr.prick
March 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM

Regards
Paul

Will the serial connection be in the final product?

Blacky
March 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Will the serial connection be in the final product?

It will never be exposed as a simple connector in the case (like FlashScan). But it is there and can be hooked up by a customer if they are prepared to open the case and solder the connections.

Regards
Paul

bballer182
April 1st, 2009, 12:36 PM
OOOO tricky!

macca_779
April 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hows the BBF testing going guys. Can we see the light at the end of the tunnel for a public version yet?

Blacky
April 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
A couple of issues have shown up in the pre-Easter release. Once they are fixed and tested, I'll try and get a public version available.

Regards
Paul

Highlander
April 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
thank you Paul

macca_779
April 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Sounds good Paul. Keep us updated.

THEFERMANATOR
April 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the AUTOCAL, but have another question about it. What about multiple ECM/TCM programming with it? Will it work like a normal programmer vin locked to one vehicle, or will you be able to buy extra licenses for it in case an ECM or TCM bites the dust? I'm hoping to have my project on the road within a month, but my ECM AND TCM will both have completely custom programming in them. I just want to pick the right product for me in case my ECM or TCM fails and I have to get another and flash it while on a trip or something.

Blacky
April 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the AUTOCAL, but have another question about it. What about multiple ECM/TCM programming with it? Will it work like a normal programmer vin locked to one vehicle, or will you be able to buy extra licenses for it in case an ECM or TCM bites the dust? I'm hoping to have my project on the road within a month, but my ECM AND TCM will both have completely custom programming in them. I just want to pick the right product for me in case my ECM or TCM fails and I have to get another and flash it while on a trip or something.

Each AutoCal will be locked to a PCM or ECM/TCM combo.
We are investigating if and how we can support re-licensing an AutoCal to a different PCM or ECM/TCM combo. But, as of the first batch of AutoCals it is not an option.

Regards
Paul

Happy Jim
April 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Any further news for the eager masses ? :gossip:

Rgds

Jim

Chevy366
May 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
All has been quite , is it going okay ?

Blacky
May 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
In the past two weeks, the beta software has been heavily modified due to feedback from the testers. The latest beta update is due out today or tomorrow. Now that most of the problems have been sorted, a public release candidate should be available later this week. (Unless there is a major problem with this next update).

Regards
Paul

macca_779
May 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Paul any updates? The week is over after all.

Hyper99
May 10th, 2009, 04:26 AM
:confused: - Nothing has been posted.

Blacky
May 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
The new software has been uploaded, I'll be posting the links in the next few hours.
Paul

Blacky
May 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=94170#post94170

Hyper99
May 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Like the new software look and feel.

Took two reflashes of the firmware and a format of the config files to settle it down, Pressing F4 revealed an odd menu before and the it was acting real freaked out. It seems better now.

I looked under the F3 (Tuning) menu and got:

F1 - Coming Soon
F2 - Configuration - Read GPM Inject,REad ECM Inject, Prog ECM Inject
F3- Switchable Tunes - Not available for the currently selected controller
F4 - Coming soon.

Where is the BBF stuff? Is that going to be in another version, or an I not seeing it??:confused: Your notes don't denote anything about the SF in the beta?? - but the notification about this being ready was in the SF post.

I hope this is a :doh2: and not a :confused:

Blacky
May 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Where is the BBF stuff? Is that going to be in another version, or an I not seeing it??:confused: Your notes don't denote anything about the SF in the beta?? - but the notification about this being ready was in the SF post.

I hope this is a :doh2: and not a :confused:

BBF is not released yet. This pre-release is the BBL and front end software to support BBL. BBF is going into beta soon.

Regards
Paul

bdr2008
May 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Good? Bad? Anything?

turbo_bu
May 15th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Not sure if this has been answered yet or not, but for the BBF, will this be able to do both PCM Calibrations AND PCM Operating Systems and Calibrations? The reason I ask, is that I would like to be able to do a complete reflash for my LB7 Duramax with DSP5. I can see others trying to do the same for the gasser stuff too, (i.e. COS5)

Blacky
May 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Good? Bad? Anything?

The Good: After 3 days of tracing assembler code I finally nailed the problem of FlashScan hanging after reading/flashing LBZ, LMM and Allison 6 speed controllers. Now back to work on the BBF.

The Bad: BBF is not into beta yet.

Anything: Did you hear about the grasshopper who walked into a bar? The bar tender leaned over the bar and said "We've got a drink named after you". The grasshopper looked up and said "You've got a drink named Kevin?".

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Not sure if this has been answered yet or not, but for the BBF, will this be able to do both PCM Calibrations AND PCM Operating Systems and Calibrations? The reason I ask, is that I would like to be able to do a complete reflash for my LB7 Duramax with DSP5. I can see others trying to do the same for the gasser stuff too, (i.e. COS5)

The first release of BBF will only support calibration flashing. The PC based pass-through logging will always support full flashing. We do intend to release full flashing for BBF but only once the BBF technology is 110% stable.

It doesn't really matter if a calibration only reflash messes up, it can be recovered. However if a full flash messes up the recovery is more difficult.

Regards
Paul

bdr2008
May 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Any news ??????

Chevy366
May 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Anything: Did you hear about the grasshopper who walked into a bar? The bar tender leaned over the bar and said "We've got a drink named after you". The grasshopper looked up and said "You've got a drink named Kevin?".

Dude , don't quit your day job there bro . :grin: :gossip:

Blacky
May 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Any news ??????

The good news is there is no bad news. Basically the development, testing is going to plan which happens rarely. It is nice to have things working properly.

I plan to be doing in house testing the standalone reading for FlashScan and AutoCal this weekend and early next week. If that all goes well then I'll make it available for the beta testers.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Dude , don't quit your day job there bro . :grin: :gossip:
I know :( My wife and my kids banned me years ago from telling jokes!

gmh308
May 25th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I know :( My wife and my kids banned me years ago from telling jokes!

Actually thats quite a good joke. LOL! I guess you need to live down the right end of the planet :).

joecar
May 25th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Lol...:)

Chevy366
May 25th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Actually thats quite a good joke. LOL! I guess you need to live down the right end of the planet :).
Are you saying I need to stand on my head when I read it ?:doh2:
Wow that worked , it is funny that way ! :grin:

gmh308
May 25th, 2009, 09:48 AM
LOL. A drink named "Kevin". :hihi:

Chevy366
June 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
SO , where is it at right now ?
How do you apply the new firmware update 2.6.10_May 25th , what I mean is I DLed the last firmware , 2.6.10_May 25th put it in the correct folder , but when I open EE it does not see the firmware update and ignores it not allowing me to apply it , SO how do I get around that ?

Blacky
June 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
SO , where is it at right now ?
Still under development.

How do you apply the new firmware update 2.6.10_May 25th , what I mean is I DLed the last firmware , 2.6.10_May 25th put it in the correct folder , but when I open EE it does not see the firmware update and ignores it not allowing me to apply it , SO how do I get around that ?

The auto firmware update only recognizes new firmware if the version number increases. Because I kept the version at V2.06.10 it won't see any increase. You can use EFILive_Explorer (Firmware tab page) to do the update.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
June 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks , found EE and flashed the V2 to new firmware .

Ninety8C5
August 11th, 2009, 01:21 AM
The good news is there is no bad news. Basically the development, testing is going to plan which happens rarely. It is nice to have things working properly.

I plan to be doing in house testing the standalone reading for FlashScan and AutoCal this weekend and early next week. If that all goes well then I'll make it available for the beta testers.

Regards
Paul

This was almost 3 months ago, any news as to where the testing is and how close or far away standalone reading and flashing might still be? :nixweiss:

Chevy366
August 11th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Yeah , curious myself !

bmax
August 11th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah , curious myself !

Me three. :nixweiss:

Blacky
August 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Standalone reading is in the final stages of testing.
The next update to EFILive is scheduled to get the standalone reading option.

Standalone flashing is still under development but should start beta testing just after the next update goes out.

Regards
Paul

bmax
August 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Blacky,

Thanks for the update.

Brad

Chevy366
August 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Standalone flashing is still under development but should start beta testing just after the next update goes out.

Regards
Paul

Getting closer , slowly I turned step by step . :hihi:

minytrker
August 12th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Regards
Paul

First let me say I love EFI Live and used to use it everyday before I retired a few months ago. My only real complaint is I think every release has always been months behind, from the V2 release, to bb logging, stand alone flashing. Why dont you hire some more help? I think EFI is by far the best tuning software out there but from a business standpoint the other company seems
to have the market cornered with new releases and vehcile support, (ex bosh conroller.) I also know from owning both that when EFI supports something vs the other company its not the same quality but still.
Every major car event I go to I see your main comptetor there selling and pushing there product. It seems they are getting bigger and bigger and releasing stuff faster and faster and growing where efi is kinda just sitting. I know there is probably way more behind the scenes to everything but Im sure many other people see it the same way as I do. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? If EFI could release stuff faster or on time I think they would dominate the whole tuning market.

Blacky
August 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
First let me say I love EFI Live and used to use it everyday before I retired a few months ago. My only real complaint is I think every release has always been months behind, from the V2 release, to bb logging, stand alone flashing. Why dont you hire some more help? I think EFI is by far the best tuning software out there but from a business standpoint the other company seems
to have the market cornered with new releases and vehcile support, (ex bosh conroller.) I also know from owning both that when EFI supports something vs the other company its not the same quality but still.
Every major car event I go to I see your main comptetor there selling and pushing there product. It seems they are getting bigger and bigger and releasing stuff faster and faster and growing where efi is kinda just sitting. I know there is probably way more behind the scenes to everything but Im sure many other people see it the same way as I do. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? If EFI could release stuff faster or on time I think they would dominate the whole tuning market.

You sort of answered your own questions really. Quality takes time. Its that simple.

There seems to be a perception of some customers (and I don't mean you) that a company must claim to be the first, or the biggest, or the fastest, or the largest in order for customers to believe a product is any good. I don't subscribe to that.
If it takes an extra year to develop a better product, so be it. I refuse to enter into a race to the bottom, to see who can get the crappiest product to market first. But that's just my philosophy.

As you rightly assumed, A lot of effort has been going on behind the scenes to build EFILive into a better more capable company with better, more capable products. Over the next 3-6 months those efforts will be evident.

Regards
Paul

minytrker
August 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Paul,

Thank you very much for the reply. I understand completly and agree 100%. Thats the best explanation I think anyone could give. I stand behind EFI 100% and continue to tell people about it and use it. EFI is the best tuning software out hands down. I think your reply should be on the front page or something so everyone could read it.

bballer182
August 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Paul,

Thank you very much for the reply. I understand completly and agree 100%. Thats the best explanation I think anyone could give. I stand behind EFI 100% and continue to tell people about it and use it. EFI is the best tuning software out hands down. I think your reply should be on the front page or something so everyone could read it.

Word! to that!!!:rockon:

Highlander
August 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
You sort of answered your own questions really. Quality takes time. Its that simple.

There seems to be a perception of some customers (and I don't mean you) that a company must claim to be the first, or the biggest, or the fastest, or the largest in order for customers to believe a product is any good. I don't subscribe to that.
If it takes an extra year to develop a better product, so be it. I refuse to enter into a race to the bottom, to see who can get the crappiest product to market first. But that's just my philosophy.

As you rightly assumed, A lot of effort has been going on behind the scenes to build EFILive into a better more capable company with better, more capable products. Over the next 3-6 months those efforts will be evident.

Regards
Paul

I wish that customers would see that too

gmh308
August 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Regards
Paul

Hear, hear!

MSURacing
September 8th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Great answer. I know I use the other guys software due to a few more supported vehicles, and I HATE USING IT!!!!
EFI Live is by far hands down the best tuning software on the market, period.

I think what happens with us, your customers, is we know what comes next from you guys hands down will rock, and we want it now. That is the worldly way now isn't it, instant gratification.

I would like to thank all the EFI Live software developers personally. I do know the amount of time it takes to build a software version capable of being put into the hand of the public. I worked with UMI Racing Technology and I was the guy who tested a lot of the new software versions.

I tested it, told them what didn't work, and it would take sometimes days to get 1 problem sorted out. There are thousands of pages of code, and sometimes a problem could take modifying 1/4 of those pages.

Anywho, thanks for the hard work. And be rest assured, anyone who says EFI Live is the inferior software, is not a tuner.

bmax
September 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Any updates on the progress of the new updates?

Thanks,

Brad

Blacky
September 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
During the beta test, a bunch of errors were found in the release candidate for BBR (Black Box Reading). Those errors are being fixed and a new release candidate will be built. If that passes testing then it will be made publicly available. I expect that to happen before end of Sep.

BBF (Black Box Flashing) will be entering beta testing once BBR testing is complete. BEcause BBF and BBR share 95% of their code the BBF testing should be relatively error free (but Murphy's law will most likely prevail).

I'm planning to have BBF ready before SEMA which means it should be ready by end of October.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
September 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
During the beta test, a bunch of errors were found in the release candidate for BBR (Black Box Reading). Those errors are being fixed and a new release candidate will be built. If that passes testing then it will be made publicly available. I expect that to happen before end of Sep.

BBF (Black Box Flashing) will be entering beta testing once BBR testing is complete. BEcause BBF and BBR share 95% of their code the BBF testing should be relatively error free (but Murphy's law will most likely prevail).

I'm planning to have BBF ready before SEMA which means it should be ready by end of October.

Regards
Paul

Cool. :cool:

Will the BBR release coincide with updates to Scan, Tune, Explorer and Scan & Tune?

Blacky
September 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Cool. :cool:

Will the BBR release coincide with updates to Scan, Tune, Explorer and Scan & Tune?

Yes, there's a bunch of changes to the V7.5 and V8 software as well.
Regards
Paul

gmh308
September 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Yes, there's a bunch of changes to the V7.5 and V8 software as well.
Regards
Paul

Ok thankyou. :cool:

bmax
September 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks Paul.

Hyper99
September 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Any tenative beta release on the BBR, BBF, or the WTF?....:sly: opps, sorry got a date on the last one already....:angel_innocent:

Blacky
September 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The latest RC4 went out yesterday to the beta testers. It is looking OK to make it a public pre-release. I may do that in the next day or two.

Regards
Paul

Hyper99
September 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Excellent-Thanks for the info.

Chevy366
September 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM
The latest RC4 went out yesterday to the beta testers. It is looking OK to make it a public pre-release. I may do that in the next day or two.

Regards
Paul

Great news , can't wait to try it out .

Hyper99
September 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Public pre-release or building another version......any news....:shock:

Blacky
October 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM
Its ready
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12014

Regards
Paul

bmax
October 2nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Thank you Sir.

Brad

Hyper99
October 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Downloading it now. :)

gmh308
October 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Ditto! Thank YOU all at EFILive. :)

Blacky
October 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
About 30 minutes ago, I uploaded a new V8.1.2.75. Please make sure you see this thread to download it again if you have not already...
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12014 (post #2)

Regards
Paul

gmh308
October 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
About 30 minutes ago, I uploaded a new V8.1.2.75. Please make sure you see this thread to download it again if you have not already...
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12014 (post #2)

Regards
Paul

Thanks again for the rapid fix. As always I thought that the fatal was something I had done wrong during the install. :).

Also, something for the whiteboard list that I had not raised previously, in B1967 thru B1974, is it possible to change the x axis units from mg to grams (per cyl/cyl air) so that the cross linking with logs works properly?

Ta! :)

mr.prick
October 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Also, something for the whiteboard list that I had not raised previously, in B1967 thru B1974, is it possible to change the x axis units from mg to grams (per cyl/cyl air) so that the cross linking with logs works properly?

Ta! :)

You can edit the cal_link.txt for this.

gmh308
October 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
You can edit the cal_link.txt for this.

Thanks for that MrP, but the linking works fine. The units are the challenge. Editor units are in mg, but cyl air units are in grams.

Where can the units be edited?

Cheers. :)

Blacky
October 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for that MrP, but the linking works fine. The units are the challenge. Editor units are in mg, but cyl air units are in grams.

Where can the units be edited?

Cheers. :)

Until we fix the units to match, you could create a calculated PID with the correct units and use that calc PID as the link.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
October 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Until we fix the units to match, you could create a calculated PID with the correct units and use that calc PID as the link.

Regards
Paul

Ok thanks for that Paul. Will take a look at it.

Congrats on the performance of the V2 with BBL now! Vast improvement in overall response and logging is now an on/off(?) exercise vs watch and wait & hope. Thankyou! :)

Dont know if this is a DMA PID or not but:

EQ_RAT makes it into BBL and is displayed on screen for logging and displaying, but still does not appear in the logfile or logfile export.

:)

PS you have a spammer sending PM's.

Blacky
October 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Ok thanks for that Paul. Will take a look at it.

Congrats on the performance of the V2 with BBL now! Vast improvement in overall response and logging is now an on/off(?) exercise vs watch and wait & hope. Thankyou! :)

Dont know if this is a DMA PID or not but:

EQ_RAT makes it into BBL and is displayed on screen for logging and displaying, but still does not appear in the logfile or logfile export.

PS you have a spammer sending PM's.

I think the spammer's account has been deleted by now.
Which controller are you not seeing the EQ_RAT on?

P.S. DMA PIDs always end with _DMA for V7 scan tool, and with _M for BBL.

Paul

gmh308
October 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
I think the spammer's account has been deleted by now.
Which controller are you not seeing the EQ_RAT on?

P.S. DMA PIDs always end with _DMA for V7 scan tool, and with _M for BBL.

Paul

E38 Paul. Its been missing for some time. Not a new item. Appears on screen, but does not make it into the log file. Well, maybe its there, but doesnt turn up in the scantool and N/A for export.

Also with BBR...ECM/PCM's only at this point? No TCM's?

Blacky
October 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
E38 Paul. Its been missing for some time. Not a new item. Appears on screen, but does not make it into the log file. Well, maybe its there, but doesnt turn up in the scantool and N/A for export.

Also with BBR...ECM/PCM's only at this point? No TCM's?

I'll check out why EQ_RAT is not showing up.

The following controllers are supported for BBR:

LS1A Gen III LS1 97-98 PCM
LS1B Gen III LS1 99-10 PCM
E38 Gen IV V8, V6 E38 ECM
E40 Gen IV LS2 E40 ECM
E67 Gen IV V8, V6, L4 E67 ECM
T42 Transmission 4/5 spd T42 TCM
T43 Transmission 6 spd T43 TCM
LB7 LB7 Duramax Diesel ECM
LLY LLY Duramax Diesel ECM
LBZ LBZ Duramax Diesel ECM
LMM LMM Duramax Diesel ECM
AL5 Allison 5 speed TCM
P10 Inline 6 PCM

I am working on adding support for the remaining controllers.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
October 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Ok thanks again. When I go to BBR the E38 shows up as the only controller. T43 is there on the CAN as well no problemo but is not shown as a read option.

What have I possibly done wrong? :angel_innocent:

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Just found that the specific controller needs to be assigned in Scan and Tune first. Had assigned an E38 in passing and not realised relevance. T43 assigned, found and interrogated.

My apologies. :)

The V2 is really snappy now! :) You must have really worked that firmware right over!

Have a good weekend! :grin:

The following controllers are supported for BBR:

LS1A Gen III LS1 97-98 PCM
LS1B Gen III LS1 99-10 PCM
E38 Gen IV V8, V6 E38 ECM
E40 Gen IV LS2 E40 ECM
E67 Gen IV V8, V6, L4 E67 ECM
T42 Transmission 4/5 spd T42 TCM
T43 Transmission 6 spd T43 TCM
LB7 LB7 Duramax Diesel ECM
LLY LLY Duramax Diesel ECM
LBZ LBZ Duramax Diesel ECM
LMM LMM Duramax Diesel ECM
AL5 Allison 5 speed TCM
P10 Inline 6 PCM

I am working on adding support for the remaining controllers.

Regards
Paul

GAMEOVER
October 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
T42, T43 & Allison 5 speed are available for BBR...
EDIT: Oops you already edited ...:D

Blacky
October 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
The V2 is really snappy now! :) You must have really worked that firmware right over!

The changes that went through the V2 firmware were significant. It was a big job and sometimes it was a case of two steps forward, one step back. The beta testers did a great job picking through the changes and making sure they were working properly.

Regards
Paul

joecar
October 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
V2 has some very snappy features, and Paul isn't done yet...!!!

Highlander
October 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I do not get about the dyno features

gmh308
October 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
The changes that went through the V2 firmware were significant. It was a big job and sometimes it was a case of two steps forward, one step back. The beta testers did a great job picking through the changes and making sure they were working properly.

Regards
Paul

Congrats to all. Great achievement. It's amazing how much functionality you have managed to stuff into that little box and I guess, testament to its original design objectives.

joecar
October 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
I do not get about the dyno featuresI believe the dyno features are for exporting/importing data between the dyno and FlashScan V2.

Chevy366
October 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Man the BBR works great on LS1B PCMs , didn't see the P12 though , if y'all need a P12 test let me know . :secret:
The new .ctd extension seemed to work great as well . :hihi:
Man it is going to be nice not to have to lug a laptop out every time you need to tune . :rockon:

Blacky
October 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
I do not get about the dyno features

The dyno option is for real time data transfer to and from compatible dyno controllers. FLashSCan can transmit all its PID data in real time to a dyno controller to be integrated with the dyno data. Plus FlashScan can recieve real time dyno data from a dyno controller and integrate it into the EFILive data logs.

Example log files will be available as soon as we complete the first integration testing phase.

The dyno data transfer interface is available to any/all dyno manufactures (and anyone else who wants real-time data from FlashScan). It is described in the document: \Program files\EFILive\V8\Documents\EFILive FlashScan Serial Protocol.pdf

Regards
Paul

JAY4SPEED
October 4th, 2009, 06:24 AM
In BBL pid selection in V8, under V7 scan tool compatibility settings, for the pre-selected pid names, are we limited to 11 characters?

Outstanding work guys! Seems like a ton of improvements in this update!

Blacky
October 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
In BBL pid selection in V8, under V7 scan tool compatibility settings, for the pre-selected pid names, are we limited to 11 characters?

Yes. That's a limitation of Black Box Logging.
Regards
Paul

v8vegaman
November 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM
do you still need testers? I can be the dummy proof test, I would like to help though

Blacky
November 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM
The beta software (now in pre-release) is available for anyone to download and test here:

Regards
Paul

gmh308
November 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM
The beta software (now in pre-release) is available for anyone to download and test here:

Regards
Paul

Is Black Box Write far away Paul? :)

Blacky
November 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Is Black Box Write far away Paul? :)

No, not too far now.

The BBF implementation required folders/subfolders to be navigated in EFILive_Explorer and on the FlashScan device itself. That allows you to organize multiple tunes in folders/subfolders. Having folders/subfolders allows you to select tune files on FlashScan, without having to scroll through hundreds of files.

I am aiming to have a beta version available for the beta testers on Friday 27th Nov.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
November 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
No, not too far now.

The BBF implementation required folders/subfolders to be navigated in EFILive_Explorer and on the FlashScan device itself. That allows you to organize multiple tunes in folders/subfolders. Having folders/subfolders allows you to select tune files on FlashScan, without having to scroll through hundreds of files.

I am aiming to have a beta version available for the beta testers on Friday 27th Nov.

Regards
Paul

Cool! Way to go! Thankyou! It'll be fanastic to have this ability without carting a PC around. :grin:

Do you expect similar cal flash times? i.e. around 45 secs for an E38/E67/T43?

Also will BBF do full flash?

And....any chance DVT's will make it onto the hand held in the future?

joecar
November 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

ScarabEpic22
November 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Awesome, cant wait! Thats the Friday after Thanksgiving here in the states, I can test my P10 and E67/T42! Ill be without my 02 after that weekend though, finally get to drive the SS full time. woot woot

Chevy366
November 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM
No, not too far now.

Regards
Paul
Black Friday is going to be a wait and see day for me , Verizon may or may not announce a HTC Passion (if not Droid is being ordered) , and now this , :hihi: .

gmh308
November 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM

Regards
Paul

Any luck on the AWOL EQ-RAT Paul?

Thx! :)

Blacky
November 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Any luck on the AWOL EQ-RAT Paul?

Thx! :)

No, it is still on the list to check before the next update goes out.
That update has stalled because I have been updating the development machines from Vista to Win7 and...

1. I messed up some software license transfers and am waiting for them to be resolved before I can re-install the dev software on Win7.

2. I upgraded the dev environment at the same time I upgraded to win7 and am still porting the V8 software to the new dev software. (V7 will stay on the old dev environment as it is not compatible with the new dev tools).

That means I need to have both old and new dev environments. We (Andrew actually) is building virtual machines to handle concurrent old/new dev environments on the development machines - nothing is ever simple in this world.

Anyway once its done, I will be able to rebuild the next update and fix the niggly issues that have been raised over the past month. I hope that will happen by Friday 27th.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
November 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Sounds like a plan, gotta love VMs. But this to me just points out that V7 is history and V8 is here, cant wait for it to go beta! Im dying to know what the new GUI will look like...:D

Blacky
November 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM

I'm not going to make the Fri deadline for BBF. I've had to spend too long copying and re-setting up EFILive's development machines on Win7. We just did a massive changeover from Vista to Win7.

So far I am impressed with Win7, it performs, it is stable and it is not intrusive so far (fingers crossed). I can't put an exact price on it, but Vista has cost us (and I presume many others) a lot of time, money and effort. I'm glad to see the end of it.

I'm almost tempted to release the version 8 software for Win2K, WinXP and Win7 only. I think Vista should be resigned to the same rubbish bin as Windows ME.

I'm out of the office for the weekend but I am planning on finishing the BBF release next week.

Regards
Paul

gmh308
November 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks Paul for the update. We know BBF will be quality whenever it makes it out.

Do you think DVT will ever make it into the handheld?

Looks like experiences with Vista are really mixed. Most stable OS I have ever seen on a laptop in 12 years + of laptops. Have had up to around 1,000 hours of uptime with hundreds of hibernates/suspends in that time and it still ran. XP usually swallowed its tongue every hundred hours or so.

Though if you are impressed with W7, thats really good reference. :) And good encouragement to change.

macca_779
November 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Sounds good to release V8 to me Paul. I have done away with my last Vista system now and only have XP (Tuning Netbook) and W7 (Primary Laptops) remaining.

Chevy366
December 1st, 2009, 06:06 AM
How close is SAF , standalone flashing ?

ScarabEpic22
December 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not going to make the Fri deadline for BBF. I've had to spend too long copying and re-setting up EFILive's development machines on Win7. We just did a massive changeover from Vista to Win7.

So far I am impressed with Win7, it performs, it is stable and it is not intrusive so far (fingers crossed). I can't put an exact price on it, but Vista has cost us (and I presume many others) a lot of time, money and effort. I'm glad to see the end of it.

I'm almost tempted to release the version 8 software for Win2K, WinXP and Win7 only. I think Vista should be resigned to the same rubbish bin as Windows ME.

I'm out of the office for the weekend but I am planning on finishing the BBF release next week.

Regards
Paul

Yep, Im still running W7 Ult x64 b7100 (aka RC) for now, Ill probably buy a copy of it around Christmas when I have time to upgrade and possibly reinstall everything. Not sure if I want to do a clean install, the RC is an upgrade from the beta even though microsoft says you cant do that. Might want to start fresh and kill anything that might be lingering around.

Great to hear about BBF, Im so stoked about it!

Thanks Paul for the update. We know BBF will be quality whenever it makes it out.

Do you think DVT will ever make it into the handheld?

Looks like experiences with Vista are really mixed. Most stable OS I have ever seen on a laptop in 12 years + of laptops. Have had up to around 1,000 hours of uptime with hundreds of hibernates/suspends in that time and it still ran. XP usually swallowed its tongue every hundred hours or so.

Though if you are impressed with W7, thats really good reference. :) And good encouragement to change.

DVT in the V2? That would be over the top amazing!

I complain a lot about Vista, but I have had it on 2 laptops. First was Vista Ultimate x64 and the second (current) is Vista Home Premium x64 SP1. I never had an issue with my first laptop running Ultimate ever, had a few bugs with my second laptop but nothing too drastic. I like W7 more because I find it is a little more stable, like the new taskbar, and I can open/close things much faster using the keyboard to name a few.

It was a decent OS, XP IMO is the new Win 98SE and it seems Microsoft blows the next OS pretty badly then recoups in the 2nd one. (Think about it, Win 97 [yes there was a win 97] was a flop, 98 was ok, 98SE was great. Win ME was garbage, then came XP. Vista was ok, W7 is great [so far, knock on wood]).

ringram
December 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Were are we posting errors? I have had a $194 error 2x trying to read my E38 ECU.
Which if Im correct is a file system error. Strange thing is that it logs fine and was just recently reformatted...

Blacky
December 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Were are we posting errors? I have had a $194 error 2x trying to read my E38 ECU.
Which if Im correct is a file system error. Strange thing is that it logs fine and was just recently reformatted...

Are you using the latest firmware? V2.06.16
Regards
Paul

ringram
December 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Yep just checked.