PDA

View Full Version : Start in second gear tune.

duramaximizer
March 4th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Just wondering if someone could give me the "how to". I searched for it and didn't find it. This is going in an 01 TCM if it matters.

Thanks,

Adam

jtaylor111
March 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM
This is the I used. When I start to build boost to lauch you can feel it shift into 2nd around 1200 RPM. If your driving it around it will shift into 2nd asoon as your tires move. This is done in the TCM.

part throttle 1-2 shift = all zeros
part throttle 2-1 downshift = all zeros
full throttle 1-2 upshift speed = all zeros
full throttle upshift rpm = all 200's or something less than idle rpm
full throttle 2-1 downshift speed = all zeros

duramaximizer
March 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks,

Adam

EDP
March 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Yep Works well with large single setups

jtaylor111
March 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I haven't tried it at the track yet. But on the street doing a boosted launch I still spun all the way through second. When I get on the track going to drop my rear air pressure and clamp the leaf springs. Trying to get away from 4 wheel drive launches if possible.

hot-dog
March 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
i hear this will destroy a stock converter.... im still going to try it real easy though. i need to know, is it alright if i dont mess with the wot tables and just do the part throttle tables so that it can only be in pattern e, will it override the wot tables or will it act funny once i hit wot?

duramaximizer
March 21st, 2009, 08:17 AM
I am sure it will be hard on the converter but heck when it goes into limp mode, it will start in 3rd gear. ;)

hot-dog
March 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
allot of older gas trucks will start in second when you put it in 2, it says in the owners manual on 90s trucks that its for better traction on wet/icy roads. but im sure they avoid this on the diesel due to the huge torque load and excessive slip/heat it could cause. oh well, its worth a shot i have to take it so easy in 1st with a 2wd anyways even a soft launch should show improvement.

duramaximizer
March 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
The new diesel trucks 06+ will start in second gear in manual mode.

DmaxHawk
April 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
The new diesel trucks 06+ will start in second gear in manual mode.

You sure about that?

duramaximizer
April 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I was pretty sure. I was told it was like the old fords. It was a built in traction control feature. Tell me if I am wrong.

DmaxHawk
April 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
I tried it this afternoon and it didnt really feel like it started in 2nd...im not sure just a rough test

jpowel29
April 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
The 6spd Allison will not start out in second (even in manual mode) but you can use the TCM tuning to get the second gear launch. You can really get some rpm for a healthy boosted launch. It can definitely be hard on the trans.

Big Mike
April 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
This is the I used. When I start to build boost to lauch you can feel it shift into 2nd around 1200 RPM. If your driving it around it will shift into 2nd asoon as your tires move. This is done in the TCM.

part throttle 1-2 shift = all zeros
part throttle 2-1 downshift = all zeros
full throttle 1-2 upshift speed = all zeros
full throttle upshift rpm = all 200's or something less than idle rpm
full throttle 2-1 downshift speed = all zerosHow has that worked for you on the street J? I've been considereing doing this strictly for my daily driver (8.1) in the normal shift mode as it doesn't need 1st gear in order to pull out from a signal light when empty. First always feels too low for DD situations.

jtaylor111
April 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I really would like it as a daily driver IMO. You could try it and see what you think. If you dont like it you can see pull the shifter down to 1st or select it.

Big Mike
April 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks, I think I will give it a try then as soon as I get a few more things smoothed out in both my engine and trans tune.