PDA

View Full Version : Commanded AFR goes lean at high MAP value

wadesns
March 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I have been working on my VE table daily for about a week now and it seems as if the closer I get the worse my truck runs under a load at low rpms. So my truck has a 384ci with fairly large cam and port/polish heads. Also running a T-56 with a 4.56 gear and 30" tire. I am attaching a log file and a bin. Log file is short just a simple take off nothing fancy I ran through 5 gears and near the end of the log you can see the commanded afr go lean. I know that my afr is off a bit because the previous tune had 1.5* more timing in the trouble areas. I thought that it may be that my timing was too high. Also if I give it to much throttle it will detinate :doh2: Anyways any help would but greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
..RJ..

5.7ute
March 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
What wideband are you using?

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hi RJ,

Open your log and tun files simultaneously (and enable pid linking in the tunetool):

In the scantool, position the cursor at AFR 16.5 (you will see MAP >= 80 kPa);

In the tunetool, look at B3605:
for MAP at/above 80 kPa this table is set to EQ 0.885 (AFR 16.5) between 176F and 212F... this is what your log shows being commanded.

You need to set your B3605 to some reasonable/richer values in those areas.

Your B3605 is not suitable at all... you're not really saving fuel, more likely you're stressing/damaging the motor.

wadesns
March 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
NTK AFX from NGK

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Also, something is wrong with your MAP sensor, DTC P0106 "MAP sensor performance" is present... you need to fix this before you can do any tuning.

Also, your VE table looks wrong.

Also, I take it you have removed the MAF sensor...?

5.7ute
March 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
No wonder you are detonating. you are commanding a leaner mixture as load increases.(map value goes higher) Are you viewing the commanded fuel tables in Lambda ? This is the reverse of EQ & can cause what is happening in your tune.
Go to edit/properties/display and make sure you are viewing the commanded fuel tables in AFR. Close then reopen the tune file for this to take effect.
Then richen up the high load areas in the B3605 commanded fuel table from 60 kpa to 100kpa. Have an AFR around 12.7 to 1 in the 90 to 100 kpa area & blend down to 14.63 in the 50kpa area.
Damn, too slow.

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
lol... hi Mick... :D

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I see the calc pids NGKF and NGK2...

NGKF must be a typo... maybe it should be NGK1... I let Paul know.

5.7ute
March 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I will have to take typing lessons. :shock:

wadesns
March 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
joecar I have tried to "enable pid linking and cant seem to find what you are talking about. I tried the "automatically track linked scan tool cell(ctrl+K) and that doesnt seem to work either. Is this cell outside of what the auto ve tutorial recomends to change in the B3605 table?

Thanks for your help
..RJ..

wadesns
March 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I started with a 2002 m6 camaro OS then followed the directions in the Auto VE tutorial. It states "If the calibration is displayed as EQ Ratio then set the values as per the red rectangle in this table" on page 8. Therefore all I changed was that in the red box.

In reference to the Map sensor code I was told either to ignore it, delete it or tweek the tables. My cam is the cause of that or so I am told.

For the VE table I am not sure what is wrong if anything. What do you mean when you say it looks wrong?

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
In TT (tunetool) go Edit->Properties->Scanner and check the 2 checkboxes under PID Data Links.

Then make sure that the default units in the scantool are the same as the default units in the tunetool for the pids you're looking at.

Configuring units in scantool/tunetool:
showthread.php?t=7585 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7585)
showthread.php?t=164 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=164)
showthread.php?t=1757 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=1757)
showthread.php?t=2722 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2722)

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Also in TT go Edit->Properties->Display and set:

Volumetric Efficiency units to g*K/kPa

Commanded Fuel units to either of EQ or AFR (and not Lambda)... if you were using Lambda you will have to change to AFR or EQ (as 5.7ute said) and:
- set B3605 correctly (see AutoVE tutorial and see what 5.7ute said above about this)
- redo your B0101 VE table.

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
joecar I have tried to "enable pid linking and cant seem to find what you are talking about. I tried the "automatically track linked scan tool cell(ctrl+K) and that doesnt seem to work either. Is this cell outside of what the auto ve tutorial recomends to change in the B3605 table?

Thanks for your help
..RJ..RJ, yes those cells are outside what the AVE tutorial said.

You're welcome...:cheers:

wadesns
March 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Then make sure that the default units in the scantool are the same as the default units in the tunetool for the pids you're looking at.

Quote:
Configuring units in scantool/tunetool:
showthread.php?t=7585
showthread.php?t=164
showthread.php?t=1757
showthread.php?t=2722

I have read through this and understand completely how to change my TT but I am not sure how to make the ST match. When you say make it match are you refering to in graph in the dashboard or just the default under the PID selection? Also I do believe that my problem was that my PE table was set for Lambda. Does this mean that I should change the units in ST and TT to AFR also?

Thanks again for your help, it is amaizing how you miss one thing and it screws up the whole process. Guess that is why my physics teacher was always telling us to carry our units over :)

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
In the ST goto the PIDs tab, view your selected pids, right next to each (under the Default column) it shows Metric or Imperial...

to change that, rightclick on a pid and select Metric or Imperial (see the checkmark).

The ST's PIDs tab default must match the TT's table's axis pid units (and the axis pid must say "Link:" next to it)...

(regardless of the dashboard/chart displays).

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yes change all units in ST and TT to AFR (I think ST is already in AFR)...

Do this: in TT goto Edit-Properties->Display and set Commanded Fuel units to AFR.