PDA

View Full Version : new to site

rpmauto
March 6th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hello, i have been poking around here for a while soaking up as much info as i can, great site. I dont have the efi live software yet, but this is what i will definetly be getting, from what i have seen and what i want to do with it, it looks excellent. I have to wait till the play money stash gets a lil bigger. I need a laptop and all. I have come to the realization that i should have gotten this a long time ago, over the past 3 years or so i have spent around $3000.00 on having other people tune my car, from stock with longtubes, to nitrous, to the 402 i have now. Well if i want to change something now i can do it myself. I am also a shop owner and figure i can maybe eek out a little gas mileage out of some 6.0l chevy trucks with this as well. I downloaded the trial and it looks great, the only playing around with tuning i have done is 1) factory flashes with the tech 2 and a buddy that has an older FAST system. I am well versed with cars, but not with computers so i am sure i will have lots of questions about what i am doing, and i love the fact that once i figure out how, i can upload my tune and some logs for you guys to look over and see what i am doing wrong/right or otherwise. I look forward to the helpful advise i will get here and the constant learning that brought me into the auto industry. Should be fun now that my cars destiny is in my, and maybe your hands. Sorry for the long read. Len

hquick
March 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Good on ya Len!
You're deffinately in good hands with the EFILive guys and the guys on this forum.

Slowrc
March 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Welcome to the party:cheers:

joecar
March 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Len, welcome...:cheers:

Yes, EFILive is a tool that can't be done without...

Not only do you save a bundle of money, but you also learn a great deal...:cheers:

More info: forumdisplay.php?f=17 (http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)

rpmauto
March 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
yes, i am sure that i will learn a ton. I do have a couple quick questions, first my trans am is a 98 and i have learned that the pcm for the 97 and 98 ls1s are less than desireable. if i decide to upgrade to a 99 or newer operating system with efi live can i copy the tune i have now and flash that into the newer pcm?? The car runs good now, it should for all the $$ it took. and i think that tune would be a good one to start from. Just wondering if i had to start over from scratch or not. My other question is about the credits. I am also looking to tune some customers vehicles(have had a fair amount of interest in it) I am not so computer savvy so bear with me. I know that i can tune as many 97 or 98 f-bodys and vettes as i want, but do i have to buy credits for every different car or truck that comes in for a tune. Or if say if i have the license for a 03 2500hd with a 4l80 and a 6.0l can i tune all 03 trucks with the same operating system?? I have read on the home page and didnt fully understand what it ment. Sorry like i said i am good with cars and only know enough to be dangerous with computers.

mr.prick
March 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
There is not much need to upgraded to a newer PCM unless
you are going to use a COS.
If you do you will use a license.
We don't use the "credits system" here,
Once you use a license you can upload
any OS that you want (that will work for the PCM)
or use a WBO2. (serial w/V2).

joecar
March 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
1 license = 1 PCM or 1 ECM+TCM.

As Mr.Prick (that's his real name) said, not related to VIN or OS.

rpmauto
March 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM
sounds good, 1 license per pcm, tcm unit. got it.

Slowrc
March 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Just keep the 98 for now and learn to tune first.The 98 pcm does not cost you a license but the newer pcms will. Learn for free! Just my .02. That is what I am doing.