PDA

View Full Version : I'll try this in here, anyone get too much timing pull with COS5?

Loudmouth LS1
March 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I set mine up and wired it all up and with the switch off i'm commanding 26 degrees timing and it gets what i'm commanding, then in the cos menu for the timing pull I have it set to pull 11 degrees and when I flip the switch it drops to 13.5 degrees instead of 15, so that's an extra 1.5 degrees pulled, I tried it with different numbers as well, 28 and pull 13 and it dropped to 13, so 2 degrees extra pulled. I went through the tune and changed every timing correction factor I could find to 0 (in case something else was causing the extra timing pull, but didn't think it was, because it wasn't pulling the extra on the motor with the switch off) and still the same shit. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any idea how to fix it? I'm pretty stumped, because it's working, it's just not pulling what i'm asking it too and is pulling too much, could there be a glitch in the program or something, I would really like to be able to use this so I don't always have to switch tunes between motor and spray, but if I can't get it to work right I guess i'll have to go back to just swapping tunes. Any help is very greatly appreciated and I can put up the tune and logs and everything if it would help, thanks guys!

joecar
March 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Devon,

I don't know where the extra 1.5 degrees pulled are coming from...

Maybe try logging the EST_ pids (Electronic Spark Timing), they may show any active source of timing modification.

Some coincidental condition may be triggering when the switch is active.

Loudmouth LS1
March 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Devon,

I don't know where the extra 1.5 degrees pulled are coming from...

Maybe try logging the EST_ pids (Electronic Spark Timing), they may show any active source of timing modification.

Some coincidental condition may be triggering when the switch is active.

Alright, thanks man, i'll take a look into that. What exact pids would you recommend logging, and what am I looking for exactly, if I had zero'd out all the timing correction factors, what is left that could pull the extra? Would it make it easier if I put the tune and log files up? I could do it tomorrow when I get home from work, I forgot my laptop at my fiancees place tonight or I would do it now.

joecar
March 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
You would just pick a few EST_ pids and log those, see if any account for the 1.5 degrees...

if not, pick another few, repeat.

Check also that your ECT and IAT are steady... if they "jump" at the same time as the swithc then some temperature modifier table may be kicking in... I'm just thinking out loud (TOL) here.

5.7ute
March 10th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Devon, I just had a look at one of my logs & I am seeing something similar. I will do a static test tonight to verify it & let you know.

minytrker
March 11th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hmmm, I have used it COS5 a ton and haven't run into this that I know of. I ususally test all the cars by having it pull 10 so its easy to see. Is it doing it through the whole rpm range?

Loudmouth LS1
March 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hmmm, I have used it COS5 a ton and haven't run into this that I know of. I ususally test all the cars by having it pull 10 so its easy to see. Is it doing it through the whole rpm range?

Yes, it's doing it through the entire rpm range, I will put up the log and the tune, don't mind the a/f, I need to retune, it is off from some recent changes i've made, also, you'll see in the tune that I had set all the timing correction factors I could find to 0 throughout the entire table and it still is acting like this.

BTW, may want to filter for 90% plus (even though i'm at wot, the tps only registers between 90 - 94 on my accufab tb for some reason), it's a long log, logged on the way to work for auto tuning and did the wot pulls during it, you'll see it hits 26 when the switch is off and the second pull is 13.5 with the switch on, only did short pulls and short shifted around 6500 just to get the data, I normally shift @ 7300.

Loudmouth LS1
March 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Devon, I just had a look at one of my logs & I am seeing something similar. I will do a static test tonight to verify it & let you know.

Thanks man!

Loudmouth LS1
March 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
You would just pick a few EST_ pids and log those, see if any account for the 1.5 degrees...

if not, pick another few, repeat.

Check also that your ECT and IAT are steady... if they "jump" at the same time as the swithc then some temperature modifier table may be kicking in... I'm just thinking out loud (TOL) here.

IAT can't jump, it's constant @ 72 degrees from a resistor, I had nowhere to put it with my intake/tb/air cleaner setup:

(Don't have the air cleaner on in this pic, just a cover over the throttle body so nothing falls in, but you can get the idea)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t249/loudmouthls1/Done002.jpg

Loudmouth LS1
March 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm wondering, has there been any kind of updates or changes to the cos5 file, maybe I got one that has a glitch, I downloaded it a while ago, is that possible?

5.7ute
March 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I'm wondering, has there been any kind of updates or changes to the cos5 file, maybe I got one that has a glitch, I downloaded it a while ago, is that possible?

I have heard of an upgraded COS to allow a bigger dry shot. Apparently the first release limits wouldnt allow any bigger than a 225 shot.
I havent done that static test yet but will do it ASAP.

joecar
March 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Devon,

Not related, but you should edit these to some in-range values:

Out of Range calibration summary: 07:47:13 pm, Wednesday Mar 11, 2009

EFILive Custom Calibrations
{A0001} Forced Octane Scaler Percentage, was out of range when loaded.
{A0002} Octane Scaler Limiter, was out of range when loaded.
{A0004} MAP Disable TPS VE Table, was out of range when loaded.
{A0005} RPM Disable TPS VE Table, was out of range when loaded.
{A0006} TPS Disable TPS VE Table, was out of range when loaded.
{A0017} N20 Monitor VE Multiplier Table RPM Enable, was out of range when loaded.
{A0018} N20 Monitor VE Multiplier Table MAP Enable, was out of range when loaded.
{A0007} TPS VE Table, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
To do set those values to in-range do these 2 steps:

1. that set some legal value (like min+1 or max-1) on all those tables/parameters, save the file, exit the tunetool, restart the tunetool...

2. if you wanted a min or max value in a table/parameter, go and edit that in, and save file.

When a value is out-of-range, the tunetool displays the nearest legal min or max value, even tho the actual value is outside of the legal range [min..max]... the tunetool detects editing changes based on the displayed values rather than the actual values.

Loudmouth LS1
March 12th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Devon,

Not related, but you should edit these to some in-range values:

To do set those values to in-range do these 2 steps:

1. that set some legal value (like min+1 or max-1) on all those tables/parameters, save the file, exit the tunetool, restart the tunetool...

2. if you wanted a min or max value in a table/parameter, go and edit that in, and save file.

When a value is out-of-range, the tunetool displays the nearest legal min or max value, even tho the actual value is outside of the legal range [min..max]... the tunetool detects editing changes based on the displayed values rather than the actual values.

Sweet, thanks for that heads up, I was wondering why it always said that when they were within range, just did it and it's gone, but the tps ve table didn't want to go away even though it was within range, so I just put it to 0, it's disabled anyways, I don't use that option.

So from looking at the tune, any ideas on why it's pulling too much timing, the fact that all those were showing out of range couldn't have been glitching the computer could they? Just trying to think of ideas!

joecar
March 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Set the TPS VE table to min_value+1 (i.e. one value bigger than the minimum value) all over, save the file, exit the tunetool...

then reopen the tunetool and set that table to min_value, and save the file.

I couldn't see why timing was pulling an extra 1.5*.

Loudmouth LS1
March 13th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Set the TPS VE table to min_value+1 (i.e. one value bigger than the minimum value) all over, save the file, exit the tunetool...

then reopen the tunetool and set that table to min_value, and save the file.

I couldn't see why timing was pulling an extra 1.5*.

I set it to 9.5 and it pulled 11, so as long as I can get it to what I want i'm ok I guess, just gonna have to test it after each change to make sure it works right.

joecar
March 13th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Well... that might be the way to do it for now, until someone finds the reason for the extra 1.5.

SSpdDmon
March 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Can't look from this pc, but make sure burst knock isn't pulling timing based on changes in grams/cyl.

Loudmouth LS1
March 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Can't look from this pc, but make sure burst knock isn't pulling timing based on changes in grams/cyl.

Doc already caught that and he showed me how to shut it off, it was originally pulling .5 degrees from my motor tuneup, I used to always have to set it .5 higher, no longer!

Loudmouth LS1
March 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
BTW, I went and tested it all out tonight, was only making 1/8th mile hits to try and read plugs and dial in the tune, and got a new best 1/8th mile, went a 5.88 @ 114.98 and this was on only a 275 shot and the a/f was way off, I gotta get some more jets to play with, a/f was in the 10.0 to 10.2 range, should pick up a bunch when I get it dialed in!!!

Here's video, first vid is on a 175 to try and make sure my problem I had is gone after having my head repaired and it was so I stepped up and the ramp I put in the controller softened up the hit just enough to keep me down and moving forward instead of goin to the bumper, worked awesome and cut a 1.34 60'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhA8qfc0VX0

bobbycollier
March 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm also using custom OS5 (02020005). I was at the Texas Mile this weekend and had my final high spark table set at 26* and commanded a 3* drop from the Boost Timing Table. I was expecting to get 23* yet my scan file shows 24.5*. This is concerning because I was expecting the get the full "safety net" yet only got 1/2 of the timing drop I was looking for. I don't believe there are any tables that would add timing, are there?

Thanks,
Bobby