PDA

View Full Version : EFILive History

Chevy366
March 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
As the title implies :
1. How did Paul and Ross come to start EFILive ?
2. Did they work for someone else then spin off to EFILive ?
3. Who was the first to do PCM scanning and tuning software ?

Just something I have wanted to know .

Gil

mr.prick
March 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/popcorn_1.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

ChipsByAl
March 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM
You might need to narrow down #3 some. Are you referring to GM ECM/PCM modules only?
Al

Chevy366
March 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
For number 3 , not exactly , because someone had to do the first whether it was GM , Ford , Chrysler to get us to where we are today .
Maybe through the OBD port would be better , because flashing PCM chips was before the port flashing .

GMPX
March 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
As the title implies :
1. How did Paul and Ross come to start EFILive ?
2. Did they work for someone else then spin off to EFILive ?
3. Who was the first to do PCM scanning and tuning software ?

Just something I have wanted to know .

Gil
1 - It started back with the program Car Bytes, Paul wrote that for he's 1996 Holden (ALDL) as there was no scantool for that car. Myself and Paul met on a old school Email list back then called DIY_EFI, probably around 1998 or 1999, I don't recall. That was a great forum, I remember all the guys from all the other tuning companies were on there as well (Edit, HPT, TC).
At that stage he lived about 15mins from me. One day we decided to try to make a tuning program for LS1's, probably sometime in 02/03, he then decided to move to New Zealand :shock:. At that stage EFILive was an after hours task, not our full time jobs.

2 - We weren't in the tuning business before this, we were hobbyists too.

3 - Scanning not sure, but for the LS1, LS1Edit was the first PC based tuner, hats off to them, no matter what people say about it, it opened up the LS1 aftermarket world like no other product did.

We both come from the era when 'tuning a chip' meant using a hex editor, no fancy 3D graphs back then, compared to what people used to use back in the 90's, EFILive has certainly made the modern tuners job a lot easier.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
March 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
At that stage EFILive was an after hours task, not our full time jobs.

Lucky that changed huh and you don't need to work after hours anymore :doh2:

GMPX
March 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Of course not, these days it's 2 - 3 hours tops, then it's back to sunning around the pool in a robe Hugh Hefner style :sly:

Stealth97
March 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Of course not, these days it's 2 - 3 hours tops, then it's back to sunning around the pool in a robe Hugh Hefner style :sly:

So if you worked 8-10 like the rest of us you might be able to afford the girls? Maybe one or two of them? :snicker:

mr.prick
March 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM

:rotflmao:
No wonder it's taking so long for Bosh controller support to come out. :tongue:

GMPX
March 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
No wonder it's taking so long for Bosh controller support to come out. :tongue:There is a new DI ECM on the block for 2010 that happens to come from the US of A, so the Bosch ECM might become a horrible distant memory.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
March 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
So if you worked 8-10 like the rest of us you might be able to afford the girls? Maybe one or two of them? :snicker:
This just might take the "best post for 2009" award...:cucumber:
Paul

Stealth97
March 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
This just might take the "best post for 2009" award...:cucumber:
Paul

I'm guessing EFI Live is a 60-80 hour week project for each of you, if not more and others I'm assuming (sales staff, etc.). Not only must one or both of you program, one or both must run the "office" side and both of you more than likely look at the expenditures and sales / accounting.

Craig Moates seems like he works 100 hours per week so it wouldn't surprise me if you told me you did the same. Running ANY business is no easy task, unless of course you are a crook.

Regards,

Eric

Chevy366
March 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM

If they can't afford the real things , maybe cardboard cutouts would do . :grin:
http://www.incrediblegifts.com/stanbysec.html
Thanks for the History Lesson on EFILIve .

Gil

joecar
March 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
If they can't afford the real things , maybe cardboard cutouts would do . :grin:
Thanks for the History Lesson on EFILIve .

GilOr stick drawings on a post-it note... :grin::grin:

BRD-PREY
March 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM
If you could only unlock the PIDs of a female mind. Some one said they though GM winged some of those tuning values!!!! Imagine what we would find in there. The real trick would be returning it to stock so you could trade it in, or worse take it back to where you bought for warrantee work.!!!!

gmperformancecentre
March 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM
If you could only unlock the PIDs of a female mind. Some one said they though GM winged some of those tuning values!!!! Imagine what we would find in there. The real trick would be returning it to stock so you could trade it in, or worse take it back to where you bought for warrantee work.!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

kajon25
June 8th, 2016, 10:55 AM
1 - It started back with the program Car Bytes, Paul wrote that for he's 1996 Holden (ALDL) as there was no scantool for that car. Myself and Paul met on a old school Email list back then called DIY_EFI, probably around 1998 or 1999, I don't recall. That was a great forum, I remember all the guys from all the other tuning companies were on there as well (Edit, HPT, TC).
At that stage he lived about 15mins from me. One day we decided to try to make a tuning program for LS1's, probably sometime in 02/03, he then decided to move to New Zealand :shock:. At that stage EFILive was an after hours task, not our full time jobs.

2 - We weren't in the tuning business before this, we were hobbyists too.

3 - Scanning not sure, but for the LS1, LS1Edit was the first PC based tuner, hats off to them, no matter what people say about it, it opened up the LS1 aftermarket world like no other product did.

We both come from the era when 'tuning a chip' meant using a hex editor, no fancy 3D graphs back then, compared to what people used to use back in the 90's, EFILive has certainly made the modern tuners job a lot easier.

Cheers,
Ross

Hey Ross I'm writing a 6 page paper on EFI Live for a composition class for a college class I'm and would like a history of EFI live and how it has evolved into what it is today from one credible source. I am very into tuning with efi live and when the opportunity came up to write a paper on something that interested me I knew immediately what I wanted to write it on. I took Zach Fullers class 2 years ago. if you could answer a few questions that would be awesome
First: I want to know more about you and Pual personally. things like when and where you were born and raised what you guys did for a living, how you met and what led you to get into tuning.
2: what gave you the idea of making a business out of efi tuning when the market was pretty well non existent at the time?
3: How did efi live evolve into the diesel side of tuning and who was involved and contributed?
4: How and did the idea of making the v1 come to you and when was it released to the public?
5: What made Paul move to New Zealand??
I'd also like to include some info on the forums and how the forums have helped fix bugs and the helped the r&d side of the tuner and software.

This would help me out so much and would really appreciate if someone could provide me with this info!!!
Thanks so much,
Kaleb Jones

Blacky
June 8th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Hey Ross I'm writing a 6 page paper on EFI Live for a composition class for a college class I'm and would like a history of EFI live and how it has evolved into what it is today from one credible source. I am very into tuning with efi live and when the opportunity came up to write a paper on something that interested me I knew immediately what I wanted to write it on. I took Zach Fullers class 2 years ago. if you could answer a few questions that would be awesome
First: I want to know more about you and Pual personally. things like when and where you were born and raised what you guys did for a living, how you met and what led you to get into tuning.
2: what gave you the idea of making a business out of efi tuning when the market was pretty well non existent at the time?
3: How did efi live evolve into the diesel side of tuning and who was involved and contributed?
4: How and did the idea of making the v1 come to you and when was it released to the public?
5: What made Paul move to New Zealand??
I'd also like to include some info on the forums and how the forums have helped fix bugs and the helped the r&d side of the tuner and software.

This would help me out so much and would really appreciate if someone could provide me with this info!!!
Thanks so much,
Kaleb Jones

If your "Googl-Fu" was high you might have found this page... https://www.experts-exchange.com/members/zebada.html
Although that's about 10-15 years out of date :)

Regards
Paul

GMPX
June 8th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks so much,
Kaleb Jones
I'll shoot you a PM Kaleb

Cheers,
Ross

kajon25
June 8th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Okay thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kajon25
June 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Hey Ross sorry to keep bothering you I need you to send me the usernames of a few guys you had mentioned about last night so i can talk with them. Im not able to pm at the moment for some reason. do i need to pay for that option?