PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 YES, Windows 7

Wolfie
March 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM
By the way,
EFILive won't install under Windows & - complains about being
installed on Windows NT, but if you let it fail, Windows 7 will
adjust the parameters and let it install then.
And after that it DOES work just fine.

GMPX
March 11th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Yes I know, Win7 looks very promising.
I know Paul was at some point going to try to get the installer to play nice with Windows 7, but it's not a priority at this stage, we are aware people are out there using the Win7 beta (I'm one of them).

Cheers,
Ross

2002_z28_six_speed
March 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Is this supposed to be a shocker? Its pretty much the same kernel.

GMPX
March 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Well, whatever they have done, on my HP Laptop (which is less than a year old) it boots and runs at least 40%+ faster.
With Vista it was slow from day one.

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
March 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Well, whatever they have done, on my HP Laptop (which is less than a year old) it boots and runs at least 40%+ faster.
With Vista it was slow from day one.

Cheers,
Ross

We'll see if that holds true to RTM :rolleyes:

IIRC, Vista was faster in RC than RTM.

2002_z28_six_speed
March 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
We'll see if that holds true to RTM :rolleyes:

IIRC, Vista was faster in RC than RTM.

Vista in RC was XP kernel and Vista GUI. That is why it was faster.

Chevy366
March 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Windows 7 , seventh kernel version for MS .
Windows 7 is Vista Service Pack 3 , pretty smart MS getting you to pay for a service pack they should give for free .
When installing Windows 7 at boot screen click more info button , first lines says "VISTA" , kind of like XP was not NT4 , yeah right .
Installed Windows 7 (got beta right at release) on a MC PC (Media Center) , crashed so much and would not run TV card software , I put XP back on .
I say 'can't knock it if I don't try it' , I have tried it so I can knock it .
Had to find .exe of TV card software , do the compatibility on that .exe before software would even work .

Cougar281
March 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Windows 7 , seventh kernel version for MS .
Windows 7 is Vista Service Pack 3 , pretty smart MS getting you to pay for a service pack they should give for free .
When installing Windows 7 at boot screen click more info button , first lines says "VISTA" , kind of like XP was not NT4 , yeah right .
Installed Windows 7 (got beta right at release) on a MC PC (Media Center) , crashed so much and would not run TV card software , I put XP back on .
I say 'can't knock it if I don't try it' , I have tried it so I can knock it .
Had to find .exe of TV card software , do the compatibility on that .exe before software would even work .

If you have XP MC that actually works stable, you're lucky. I ran XP MCE for about two years; buggy as heck, crashed several times a week. After I upgraded to Vista Ultimate, the only issues I've had are holdovers from XP MCE. Vista Media Center is far more stable, since Media Center was built in from the get go, vs being" Patched on" in XP. Vista actually runs better than XP did overall, and it's only got 1GB RAM! Being BETA software, I'd expect some bugs in Windows 7; I wouldn't even consider forming any opinions until it's RC1 or RC2.

Chevy366
March 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
If you have XP MC that actually works stable, you're lucky. I ran XP MCE for about two years; buggy as heck, crashed several times a week. After I upgraded to Vista Ultimate, the only issues I've had are holdovers from XP MCE. Vista Media Center is far more stable, since Media Center was built in from the get go, vs being" Patched on" in XP. Vista actually runs better than XP did overall, and it's only got 1GB RAM! Being BETA software, I'd expect some bugs in Windows 7; I wouldn't even consider forming any opinions until it's RC1 or RC2.

To make it stable I used a 3rd party software , like any Windows you need someone else's product to make it work . Anti-virus , Anti-Spyware , Firewall , Anti-Adware , Anti-RootKit get the picture . MS just issued a patch , not to fix all but just those that have been infected by the exploit , so if you have not been exploited yet you still can be , good one MS .
MythTV or Sage .

Wolfie
March 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
odd, I am currently running Windows 7 on two laptops,
HP ZD8000, and DV9000.
I didn't have some drivers on first install, but after doing a windows
update, drivers were automatically installed, even the TV tuners.
I have had no problems with any software installed, other than the initial
install, although after some complaining, were still installed. They said(MS)
that most older computers (the ones that still had XP on them) probably
would not run vista, let alone 7.

THIS thread wasn't started to get into a Microsoft bashing contest,
It was only to say the EFILive was happily running on it.
No more - No less...

ScarabEpic22
March 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Im with Wolfie, within 2 weeks of getting my HP dv7 laptop I installed W7 Ultimate beta on a separate partition. Been running EFILive on it since, its nice because I can keep Vista up to date with the latest installs but if there's ever a problem I can boot into W7 and tune using an older version of EFILive. Basically 2 PCs in one!

Chevy366
March 17th, 2009, 04:47 AM
HP ZD8000, and DV9000.
I didn't have some drivers on first install, but after doing a windows
update, drivers were automatically installed, even the TV tuners.
I have had no problems with any software installed, other than the initial
install, although after some complaining, were still installed. They said(MS)
that most older computers (the ones that still had XP on them) probably
would not run vista, let alone 7.

THIS thread wasn't started to get into a Microsoft bashing contest,
It was only to say the EFILive was happily running on it.
No more - No less...

I mean the thing you describe about the driver install other OSs have done for years , MS just now getting around to it , so new an innovative . :grin:
Ok I give , Microsoft is God , I worship Microsoft , Microsoft has never ever sold a OS that was anything other than perfect .
There , no bashing , just praise ! :grin:

GMPX
March 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
HP ZD8000, and DV9000.Mine is one of the DV9xxx series, do you find it painfully slow with Vista?

Wolfie
March 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Terrible. I had removed the 64bit version of vista because it wouldn't run
most of my software (Ham Radio Stuff), and installed the 32bit version.
After installing W7, it was like night and day. Although I am using the
32bit version of that as well. I'm not sure of the exact model of DV9000
I have because I ordered it to my specs, loaded with everything that
would fit in the case, and they put a sticker on it that just said DV9000CTO. (Sometimes I miss the good ole DOS4... ah the good 'ole days!)

Mine is one of the DV9xxx series, do you find it painfully slow with Vista?

GMPX
March 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I just figured the DV9 series were junk after the way it runs with Vista, Windows 7 has restored some confidence back in me that I didn't waste my money on this HP.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
March 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Ross I hear ya, my old HP dv9575 was pretty much a dog with Vista x64 Ultimate. When I had to get this HP dv7 over xmas, Vista x64 Home Prem. was still a dog. Installed Ubuntu and W7, both are much faster than Vista. Restored some of my faith in HP, still looking at the newer Dells as exploding time bombs, I really do not like their new designs and the cheap feeling they inspire.

Wolfie
March 20th, 2009, 06:29 AM
After tossing the 64 bit version of vista and going with the 32 bit one,
the computer definatly was faster and more reliable.
With W 7, it is way better... time will tell...
I have to say this about hp though...
I buy a new notebook every two years for keeping in my van.
I also but the extra warranty with it , which, in my opinion is a joke
because thay sell you a three year warranty... but this replaces the
original 1 year warranty, so you are actually paying three years for two.
Anyway... I am on my third HP, a 4000. 8000, and now a 9000.
EACH one has failed after two years, and needeng as well as pop-ins,
a new mainboard. To me this does not say much for HP, although,
I DO keep buying them. I'll be getting a new one in a couple weeks,
and am looking hard for another manufaturer. By the way... my 9000
is now two years old, and I just got it back from the shop... New
mainboard, new drive... go figure...

Tordne
March 20th, 2009, 06:35 AM
The download of Windows 7 Beta has been pulled by Microsoft. I believe the RC1 release (expected to be the only RC) is due pretty soon.

Cougar281
March 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Do yourself a favor and look at the business class HP notebooks. I have a TC4400 that has served me very well, and came with a 3ry warranty (It surviced a 6' fall to a hardwood floor while it was going into hibernation without so much as a ding). I'd stay away from the "Home" notbooks like you have and can find in BestBuy. The Business notebooks are more robust, and I've seen relatively few problems with them. My company has about half a dozen customers that each have at least a dozen HP notebooks.

After tossing the 64 bit version of vista and going with the 32 bit one,
the computer definatly was faster and more reliable.
With W 7, it is way better... time will tell...
I have to say this about hp though...
I buy a new notebook every two years for keeping in my van.
I also but the extra warranty with it , which, in my opinion is a joke
because thay sell you a three year warranty... but this replaces the
original 1 year warranty, so you are actually paying three years for two.
Anyway... I am on my third HP, a 4000. 8000, and now a 9000.
EACH one has failed after two years, and needeng as well as pop-ins,
a new mainboard. To me this does not say much for HP, although,
I DO keep buying them. I'll be getting a new one in a couple weeks,
and am looking hard for another manufaturer. By the way... my 9000
is now two years old, and I just got it back from the shop... New
mainboard, new drive... go figure...

Chevy366
March 20th, 2009, 09:42 AM
How many get surveys from MS about Windows 7 ?
Lenovo (IBM) has been very good to me , have had Compaq and HP , never again , the Alienware has been sweet as well .

GMPX
March 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
How many get surveys from MS about Windows 7 ?
Lenovo (IBM) has been very good to me , have had Compaq and HP , never again , the Alienware has been sweet as well .Not a thing, for me it won't run for more than 5 mins without the BSOD, but this was after I loaded up the extra non MS products, I've given up on it for the moment, I'm hoping the RC fixes my problems.

Cheers,
Ross

Chevy366
March 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Not a thing, for me it won't run for more than 5 mins without the BSOD, but this was after I loaded up the extra non MS products, I've given up on it for the moment, I'm hoping the RC fixes my problems.

Cheers,
Ross

That suxs , BSOD is not fun .
Yeah one survey I would have like to be able to have finished , it was for a chance to win a X-Box 360 , but alas , I entered I used another OS (Penguin) and was given the old , Sorry .