PDA

View Full Version : EFIExplorer Problem

Bert
March 13th, 2009, 04:22 AM
This is probably the wrong forum but it seemed like a good place to start :)

To begin with, I have had EFILive and FlashScan V2 for a while now and I was using it on a notebook with version 7 of the software. Since it is winter, I haven't touched EFILive for a while and the computer that I had it installed on died last fall. I replaced it with a Dell that has a 64 bit Intel CPU and a 32 bit version of Vista (Dell's idea, not mine :doh2:). So, I decided it is time to get ready for another camping season and downloaded and installed the latest version of the software (V 8.1.2 Build 44). I also installed the USB drivers for the FlashScan. I now have two problems:

1) EFIExplorer will not talk to the FlashScan device. If I start EFIExplorer before plugging the FlashScan device into my computer, EFIExplorer will not recognize the fact that the FlashScan device exists. The FlashScan device also has a blank screen and no flashing lights. OTOH, if I plug the FlasScan into my computer before running EFIExplorer, the FlashScan screen comes up with the expected menu and then changes to "USB MODE" when I start EFIExplorer. However, EFIExplorer then hangs (not responding). Vista also reports "EFILive FlashScan and AutoCal Hardware API (HAPI) has stopped working". What do I need to do to get this working properly?

2) EFIExplorer will not allow me to access network files. Since this is where all of the scans and tunes I collected earlier are, this is a PITA. How do I access netwok files from within EFIExplorer?

Thanks

Bert

joecar
March 13th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Bert,

Welcome to the forum.

I notified Tech Support.

Cheers
Joe

Blacky
March 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hi Bert,

It appears as though your FlashScan V2 is still running old firmware that is incompatible with the latest EFILive_Explorer.
EFILive_Explorer requires bootblock version V2.05.xx or later preferably V2.06.06, and firmware V2.06.06 to match.

Please read through the document:
Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Documents->Upgrading Firmware.

The most important thing you should get from that document is to make sure your V2 is running firmware V2.04.72 before starting the boot block upgrade.

EFILive_Explorer has been updated to provide full drag-drop, copy/paste and network file access compatibility with Windows Explorer.
That new software will be released as part of the AutoCal beta test suite, due out Monday 16th March 2009.

Regards
Paul

joecar
March 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Bert,

Read and understand all this first before updating V2 firmware:

Updating FlashScan V2 Firmware:
showthread.php?t=9375 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9375) posts #9 and #10
showthread.php?t=10014 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10014)

Bert
March 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I already read those documents but they were referring to version 7.5 of the software and I only installed version 8. Does that mean that the version 8 install is not a stand alone installation? Since I am using a new computer, there is no EFILive software prior to version 8 installed.

Bert

joecar
March 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Bert,

V7.5 is the scantool/tunetool software.
V8 is EFILive explorer (which is used for FlashScan V2 Black Box Logging (BBL)).

You need both downloads/installs.

After you installed both on your PC, read the document attached in this post: showpost.php?p=84305&postcount=9 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=84305&postcount=9)

Bert
March 13th, 2009, 12:04 PM
OK, I uninstalled V8 and installed V7.5. I ran the FlashScan V 2 programmer and, although it failed to update twice, it seemed to update the scanner on the third try. Now when I try to run the programmer, I get an error message stating that the scanner has a boot block of "V2.05.xx or greater" and that I need to run EFIExplorer to use the scanner. So I installed V8 again and ran EFIExplorer - it hung again.

One interesting point: I didn't do anything to the boot block, I just followed the instructions to upgrade the firmware. So how did the boot block get upgraded? How do I find out what the firmware version is now?

Bert

joecar
March 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Bert,

Did you read the document...?

Explain step-by-step what you did (to what) and where you got up to...

Did you try to flash in firmware 2.04.72...? On the 3rd attempt it updated ok...?

I notified Tech Support.

Bert
March 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hmmm... It seems to be working now. I guess it just needed some time to straighten itself out. Thanks for the assistance.

Bert

joecar
March 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
So EE connects to V2 ok...?

In EE, on the Firmware tab, what does it say for rthe versions (bootblock and firmware)...(post a screenshot)...?

Bert
March 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure how to include a screen shot on this system. The "insert image" button requires a URL and I don't see any other image inclusion facility.

In any event, EE reports a boot block version of 2.05.02 with a date of April 25, 2008 and a firmware version of 2.06.06 with a date of Dec 14, 2008. Does that sound about right?

I am going to change the oil in my truck today and do a few checks on it with the scanner. I'll let you know how well it works.

Bert

joecar
March 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Yes, those are correct.

Is your scantool/tunetool at Build 83 (go Help->About)...?

Bert
March 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Yup. Version 7.5.5 Build 83.

bert

Blacky
March 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
In any event, EE reports a boot block version of 2.05.02 with a date of April 25, 2008 and a firmware version of 2.06.06 with a date of Dec 14, 2008. Does that sound about right?

Are you sure the boot block is 2.05.02? Or was that just a typo?

You should have:
Boot block = 2.06.02
Firmware = 2.06.06

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 14th, 2009, 08:22 AM
You must have V8 installed (and updated) to get the latest version of EFILive_Explorer and the latest version of the boot block and firmware.
V8 and V7 are designed to co-exist on the same computer.

Right now, V8 only handles the boot block, firmware and black box logging for FlashScan V2. Eventually (when the full v8 software is released) it will handle scanning and tuning as well and will completely replace V7.

Once V8 is installed and updated, make sure you run the EFILive_Explorer program. That will cause the EFILive control panel (EFILive_Hapi) to start in the system tray at the end of the Windows task bar.

Right click on the EFILive_Hapi FlashScan icon in the system tray and select Show.
Then select the Firmware page and click on the [Refresh] button.
That should allow you to update the boot block and or firmware easily.

Regards
Paul

Bert
March 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
You are correct - it was a typo. The boot block version was 2.05.08 not 2.05.02. After following the above process, I now have a boot block version of 2.06.02 and a firmware version of 2.06.06. Do those numbers look correct?

Bert

Blacky
March 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
You are correct - it was a typo. The boot block version was 2.05.08 not 2.05.02. After following the above process, I now have a boot block version of 2.06.02 and a firmware version of 2.06.06. Do those numbers look correct?

Bert

Yes that is correct.
Regards
Paul

Bert
March 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Now things are getting rather strange. I just fired up EE and pressed the refresh button on the firmware page. It lists a boot block version of 76.64.00 and a firmware version of 18.00.00. Both dates are "N/A". The Company, Model, Lecense and Serial are all now set to the same large (12 digit) number.

I shut EE down and restarted it - now it has the correct information. Where did the other stuff come from?

Bert

Blacky
March 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I shut EE down and restarted it - now it has the correct information. Where did the other stuff come from?
Bert

I don't know what would cause that display corruption. If you can reproduce it consistently with a set of known steps, please let me know.

Regards
Paul