PDA

View Full Version : Please help with LS2 conversion

jasonsfbodies
March 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have been reading this forum for a while and it's time to ask for help.
We installed an LS2 w 4L60E from a 05 GTO in a 91 Z28. We had speartech do the harness for the conversion and it's a stock drivetrain with headers.

Now the problem, WHen you go past half throttle in low gear the computer will not let the throttle open more then 40-50% after the car shifts in to second gear the throttle opens all of the way and the car will rip! Jessie at wait4me has been a great help to me but I know he has to be one of the busiest guys in the planet so I hate to bug him.
I have the traction control disabled and have tried many things in the engine and trans tune with no luck. Any input would be greatly appriceated.

Jason

GMPX
March 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Jason, sorry to say but I already spoke to Jesse about that as it was pretty weird....but I did really have any idea what it could be either.

ScarabEpic22
March 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Is that a torque limiting thing? Jesse probably asked you this, wonder if the torque limiting tables in the ECM are forcing the throttle to stay at 40-50% then once the shift occurs the limiting tables allow 100% engine power so the throttle flies open. Can you pull the tune from it, or do you not have EFILive?

Since its an 05 LS2 Im assuming its an E40 ECM controller, check table B2514 if you can pull the tune. Its under Engine->Traction Control. In my 08 E67 ECM you can limit TQ in individual gears with table B2514, looks like its just called something different in the E40. If in first gear it is restricting the delivered TQ this could be your problem, but I cant say for sure. If you can post the tune up that'd help (if you can pull it first).

jasonsfbodies
March 21st, 2009, 02:45 AM
Erik, that complete table in all of the gears are maxed at 8192. I have the shop version of EFI I will try to post the engine and trans tune in a few minutes.

jasonsfbodies
March 21st, 2009, 02:48 AM
Here is the engine tune.

jasonsfbodies
March 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
And the trans tune if it helps.

jasonsfbodies
March 23rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
IS there ant way to change the tune so the t/b opens when the throttle pedel is pressed and disable any fail safes? I know I'm grasping but I need to get his car done and dont know where to go from here. Would a log file help and if so what pids should I select?

jasonsfbodies
March 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
I just unplugged the tcm and tried to free rev the car in park and the throttle is opening slow as it does when the car is in gear, plugged it back in and in park the revs to the moon quick. So it makes me think it's something in the trans tune,I just dont know what.

ScarabEpic22
March 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
I think its still in the ECM calibration, this shows there's some parameter in the ECM thats restricting the revs in gear. This is ECM stuff, the TCM is just saying "Im here" when you plug it back in so the ECM knows the trans is in P/N or in gear. And when its in gear its messing up, I changed some TM parameters and one trans input shaft torque value. See if it makes a difference, Im just throwing ideas out there.

jasonsfbodies
March 24th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Erik , thanks fo your help!! Last night I found that for some reason the prndl switch on the selector shaft of the trans is showing p in park r in reverse 6 in neutral and n in any of the drive gears so I tiook the prndl swith off off an SSR I have here and plugged it in .Turned the selector thru the gears and got the same readings as the one on the car. So I put it in park on the swith and the car revs in or out of gear and smokes the tires thru 3rd gear on the street. Only question I have now is if the selector switch is in the park position will this mess with in gear, in park tables?

ScarabEpic22
March 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
No problem man, it sounded like the ECM thought it was in P/N vs in gear but when the selector switch doesnt work, causes lots of headaches!!

Im not sure what you mean by if the selector switch is in the park position will it mess with the tables? When the TCM tells the ECM it is in P/N it will use the P/N tables, in gear it will use the in gear tables. Is that what you mean?

Or are you saying that you are tricking the selector switch by putting it in park all the time to make it work? I guess this wouldnt be a problem but Im not exactly sure.

jasonsfbodies
March 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM
In order for the t/b to work correct the prndl switch has to be in park position I did not know if that effected any of the timing tables or any other tables for that matter.

ScarabEpic22
March 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I see Jason, yea thats definitely not right. Honestly Im not too familiar with the E40 but I know the LS1 has some different tables for P/N vs in gear so thats what Ive been referencing. So basically you're tricking the ECM into thinking that its always in P then? Wonder if anyone else has an idea why this is happening, do you happen to know if it did it before the speartech wiring?

jasonsfbodies
March 26th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I got the car with no motor and the engine and trans was out of a wrecked GTO so I never saws the GTO. The customer picked the car up yesturday and was very happy with the performance of the car. I know he will be bringing it back to get some new mods in the near future, so we will see how it goes.t
Are you ready for my next pcm issue? It's with an 04 SSR with a 408 and 400 turbo.

ScarabEpic22
March 26th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Well glad the customer's happy, thats what we're all about here right?

And bring it on, lets get that PCM read! So going from a stock LS1 PCM to a 408 plus ditching the 4L60E or T56 for a 400 turbo, interesting. Probably have to trick the PCM to think its a manual and run the 400 turbo vacuum modulated/standalone without PCM control...thats what Im thinking right now.

jasonsfbodies
March 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Part two!! I have an 04 SSR that started with a 5.3 and 4l60e. WE had a 382 the truck ran low 12s at 110 mph but never had a nice idle and would foul plugs if we didnt clear it out before turning it off. The wide band would read 13-14 to 1 a/f ratio. So we put a 455LSX in the customers 02 transam and freshened up the 408 and installedit in the SSR. No matter what we did withthe tune(rich or lean) the truck would miss or act up at lowwer rpm's. I ended up checking the injectors by shutting them off with the bidirectional controls and when I shut injector1 off inj 3 turned off instead and 5=2,7=1,3=5=4-6,6=7,and7=8. so im sure the plugs are fouled because some of the injectors were firing before the intake valve opened and others after the valve is opened.
The wiring harness is completely stock so the injectors cant be plugged in wrong because #1 inj. is next to alt. plug and #2 is next to t/b wiring.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Jason

Diesel the dog
April 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I have the same throttle limiting problem with a 06 GTO engine that I installed in a 55 Chevy during a brake torque or from a dead stop if you floor it it wont spin the tires and throttle angle is limited to 30% I was wondering if you ever found the problem in the tune or wiring. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks
Jim

GMPX
April 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Jim, checkout the BTM section in the GTO tune, this is what is probably killing your fun.

Cheers,
Ross

Diesel the dog
April 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Ok thanks I'll check into it.

Thanks
Jim

jasonsfbodies
April 20th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Does your scan tool show drive when the shifter is in the drive position? Thats where I left off on my project. I just took the switch off or the side if the trans and put it in the correct position,but never looked further in to the speartec harnesss to see why it wasnt sending the rite signal.

Diesel the dog
April 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah its reading the right gears the car is at the interior shop now so I can't do anything with it for awhile

gmh308
August 3rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
Did this E40 ETC limiting issue ever get solved conclusively?