PDA

View Full Version : Problems reflashing due to something bad

goldbergv95
March 20th, 2009, 07:21 AM
This morning, I reflash my tune while I disconnected the transfer case control module since we remove the 4x4, and everything was perfect except the fact that only one of the efans was spinning. No problem there, just readjust the the volts back to the orginial setup to efans.

Problem is my laptop shut off while reflashing. (I forgot my adapor, didnt expect my laptop to kill the battery pack under 20 minutes)

So, I came back to reflash, problem is the pcm did not reflash the whole thing, several of the data was ignored one in which the tccm was involved. Reconnected the tccm, same problem except no pcm problem codes. Also, the efans did NOT spin, which is a sign of the tune not completely reflashed.

I notice that when all the odometer lights lid up, the tune was perfect. But when only the security lock was the only light that lighted up several of the pcm data was block therefore did not reflash the whole data. I've reflashed 4 times and still have the same problems. Whats wrong here?

joecar
March 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I notified Tech Support.

Blacky
March 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
The re-flash process will either complete successfully, or the controller will not operate. There is no way the controller will operate if any part of the calibration is missing or damaged. You would not even be able to connect to it with the scan tool if the re-flash did not complete.

There may be some other reason that you are seeing the symptoms that you describe.

Can you please provide soe more information, such as:
type of vehicle,
type of controllers (i.e. E38, T43, LMM, Allison?),
what the problem is exactly.

Regards
Paul

goldbergv95
March 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
2002 chevy trailblaze I6, when reflashing it says it load successfully, but when I turn the engine on the fans the turn on. I used the scan feature and says PCM problem, several of the data was not loaded because the tccm was in on. I reflash with and without the tccm and nothing happened.

I notice that when all the odometer lights lid up, the tune was perfect. But when only the security lock was the only light that lighted up several of the pcm data was block therefore did not reflash the whole data. I've reflashed 4 times and still have the same problems.

Blacky
March 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm still not clear on what the problem is.

Does the engine start? If so, does the engine continue to run or does it stop after a few seconds?

What do you mean by "I notice that when all the odometer lights lid up, the tune was perfect". i.e. What do mean by "perfect"?

What do you mean by "several of the pcm data was block therefore did not reflash the whole data"?

You say: "I've reflashed 4 times and still have the same problems", what exactly are the problems?

Can you provide the exact error message that was displayed by the scan tool when you got this: "I used the scan feature and says PCM problem"

Regards
Paul

goldbergv95
March 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Does the engine start? If so, does the engine continue to run or does it stop after a few seconds?

Yes the engine runs and starts fine.

What do you mean by "I notice that when all the odometer lights lid up, the tune was perfect". i.e. What do mean by "perfect"?

Everything on the tune was loaded into the pcm

What do you mean by "several of the pcm data was block therefore did not reflash the whole data"?

Several data of the tune was not loaded to the pcm, which is why the efans did not turn on as it did this morning. Some where blocked or ignored

You say: "I've reflashed 4 times and still have the same problems", what exactly are the problems?

All data fromt the tune not fully loaded to the pcm, efans not spinning

Can you provide the exact error message that was displayed by the scan tool when you got this: "I used the scan feature and says PCM problem"

Ill get back with that tomorrow.

Blacky
March 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Are you using the latest version of the software? V7.5.5 build 83?
Available here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

After downloading and installing the V7.5.5 build 72, select the Start->All Programs->EFILive-V7.5->Tools->Check for New Updates to update to tBuild 83.

Regards
Paul

goldbergv95
March 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Are you using the latest version of the software? V7.5.5 build 83?
Available here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

After downloading and installing the V7.5.5 build 72, select the Start->All Programs->EFILive-V7.5->Tools->Check for New Updates to update to tBuild 83.

Regards
Paul

yes, like i said the flash worked this morning. only after my laptop cut off the problems occur.

joecar
March 21st, 2009, 03:29 AM
Can you read the current flash contents into a file and post it here.

Also post the very last file you flashed.

goldbergv95
March 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Can you read the current flash contents into a file and post it here.

Also post the very last file you flashed.

Well the reason for the partial pcm problem where only one light on the odometer lighted up (security lock) was that the key ignition was not turn to the "On" postition (stupid me). When I place the key ignition to on all the lights on the odometer turned on, but still the fans still didn't work meaning not all data went through.

*I reflashed 3 times today with and without the Transfer case control module on and still is the same result. It worked yesterday morning but after that it does not update the pcm.

Here is the trouble codes

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

U1026 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Automatic Transfer Case Controller - Device $1A" PHC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"

U1026 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Automatic Transfer Case Controller - Device $1A" HC ($60) "Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)"

History data

Diagnostic touble codes (shift+f8)
Some codes may not have been retrieved from the vehicle.
Reason: one or more modules did not reply
Modeules that did not reply:
“Transfer case shift control module (TCSCM)

Blacky
March 21st, 2009, 08:31 AM
but still the fans still didn't work meaning not all data went through.

*I reflashed 3 times today with and without the Transfer case control module on and still is the same result. It worked yesterday morning but after that it does not update the pcm.

It is not possible for only some of the data in the tun file to be programmed into the PCM. Either it all goes in correctly or the PCM will not operate. The engine would certainly never start if even just one byte was missing or damaged.

So you really need to look at what the data is that you're programming into the PCM. What has changed in the tune since the fans were working correctly?
Do you still have the *.tun file that was in the PCM when the fans were working correctly? If so try that.

Just to prove to yourself that all the data is programmed correctly then, as Joe suggested, read out what is in the PCM and compare it to the file that you most recently flashed into it you will see that they are identical.

Regards
Paul

goldbergv95
March 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
The only thing I change was the G1021 Here is the history on what worked:

Mar 18, 2009 16:54:25

System.Fans
{G1021} Minimum Voltage For Fan Diagnostics, changed from "8.00" to "25.00". (worked)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Mar 18, 2009 23:14:42

Engine Operation.Limiters
{B1202} Spark Speed Limiter Drive, changed from "215" to "222". (worked)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Mar 20, 2009 11:02:01

System.Fans
{G1021} Minimum Voltage For Fan Diagnostics, changed from "25.00" to "8.00".(worked)
Mar 20, 2009 13:08:38

System.Fans
{G1021} Minimum Voltage For Fan Diagnostics, changed from "8.00" to "25.00". (stopped working)

Diagnostic touble codes (shift+f8)
Some codes may not have been retrieved from the vehicle.
Reason: one or more modules did not reply
Modeules that did not reply:
“Transfer case shift control module (TCSCM)

ScarabEpic22
March 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM
OK looking at that tune is there any reason both VATS parameters are turned off? Probably not a good thing to do, and the efan parameter is disabled too. Look at these changes Ive made. Dont know if you need to zero all the fan tables too, that was the only way I could get mine to run without any codes though. And why is the VATS relearn stuff changed, pretty sure that'll just cause you more headaches.

goldbergv95
March 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
OK looking at that tune is there any reason both VATS parameters are turned off? Probably not a good thing to do, and the efan parameter is disabled too. Look at these changes Ive made. Dont know if you need to zero all the fan tables too, that was the only way I could get mine to run without any codes though. And why is the VATS relearn stuff changed, pretty sure that'll just cause you more headaches.

I didnt change any of the those vats because I dont know exact with it will cause the pcm to do plus this is the newest feature and i never seen it until i recieved this tune. All the info was all included in the tune, but i did not mention efans because one member from trailvoy, Ray, says he didnt change his pcm modifications (because pcmforless says we dont need to change the pcm), has the latest modifications on his pcm and his efans work without any problems.

Its weriod cause it worked with those features off, actually i didnt even touch those features. This tune contains the latest modifications on the pcm. But ill give it a try on monday. Thanks everybody and you too Erik!:rockon:

ps. enjoy that new SS Erik!

ScarabEpic22
March 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
I cant wait to enjoy my SS, only driven it for a day though...its sitting in my parents garage back in Seattle til summer comes and I move back there.

Hopefully that'll help your efans problem, Im not sure if you need to change any of the fan tables or not. Might have to play around with that.

joecar
March 23rd, 2009, 03:07 AM
Erik, should be a really lot of fun...:hihi:...what does the "3SS" mean...?

goldbergv95
March 23rd, 2009, 05:04 AM

Its some sort of special package. Im guessing it includes everything.

goldbergv95
March 23rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
Just today I reflashed the tune Erik made. But the problem is that the fans dont spin. Right after the tune is finished i looked at the tune and many of the configurations were changed: the efans disabled, 4.10 gear changed to 3.73, and etc. I rechanged it and it still does the same thing.

Here is the file on what it looks like after the tune

BTW, I notice something odd about the Efilive tune module, only the two lights at the far right are lighting up and the other three from the left are not lighting up. Is something wrong with the module?
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1980/tuneproblme.jpg

ScarabEpic22
March 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM

3SS is like an LS, LT, LTZ designation. The TBSS has 1SS or 3SS trim levels, 1SS is cloth seats, basic setup. 3SS is leather, heated seats, basically everything. This SS actually has more options than I wanted...what use do I have for rear seat entertainment? Im always driving!!:bangin:

Just today I reflashed the tune Erik made. But the problem is that the fans dont spin. Right after the tune is finished i looked at the tune and many of the configurations were changed: the efans disabled, 4.10 gear changed to 3.73, and etc. I rechanged it and it still does the same thing.

Here is the file on what it looks like after the tune

BTW, I notice something odd about the Efilive tune module, only the two lights at the far right are lighting up and the other three from the left are not lighting up. Is something wrong with the module?
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1980/tuneproblme.jpg

Hmm, I did change the VATS and efans options but thats it IIRC. Didnt touch the gears or anything speedo related.

Change the efans option back to disabled as the PCM4Less kit doesnt need this option enabled. Make sure the fans parameters are all stock too.

goldbergv95
March 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
3SS is like an LS, LT, LTZ designation. The TBSS has 1SS or 3SS trim levels, 1SS is cloth seats, basic setup. 3SS is leather, heated seats, basically everything. This SS actually has more options than I wanted...what use do I have for rear seat entertainment? Im always driving!!:bangin:

Hmm, I did change the VATS and efans options but thats it IIRC. Didnt touch the gears or anything speedo related.

Change the efans option back to disabled as the PCM4Less kit doesnt need this option enabled. Make sure the fans parameters are all stock too.

yeah i know you did not change the gear ratio. The efilive program did it itself. That is what I found odd. The fans still dont work.

goldbergv95
March 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM
yeah i know you did not change the gear ratio. The efilive program did it itself. That is what I found odd. The fans still dont work.

Anyone knows why the efilive changes the tune automaticly?

Blacky
March 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Nothing is wrong, the LEDs signify the following (from left to right):
Green: Black box logging is active
Orange: Coms with serial device (i.e. wide band O2 controller)
Blue: FlashScan is writing to flash card or internal memory (do not unplug while blue LED is on).
Orange: comms with vehicle.
Green: comms with PC.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Anyone knows why the efilive changes the tune automaticly?

EFILive does not make changes to the tune automatically except under the the following conditions:

An out of range value is detected in the *.tun file. Even in this case, an update will not be made to the *.tun file unless you open/view the out of range values. You will also be notified that EFILive has detected out of range calibrations.

If you click on the [Apply] button on the [Shift Point Correction] tab page of the speedo calculator.

Regards
Paul

goldbergv95
March 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM
EFILive does not make changes to the tune automatically except under the the following conditions:

Well it did on this after every tune. look at the difference

Blacky
March 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Those two tunes are not even the same operating system. Can you send me a *.tun file before and after EFILive has modified it automatically without you making any modifications?

Regards
Paul

goldbergv95
March 25th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Those two tunes are not even the same operating system. Can you send me a *.tun file before and after EFILive has modified it automatically without you making any modifications?

Regards
Paul

Like i said, That is the same one. Right after i reflash the first tune, the second one occurred w/ adjustments that I "DID NOT" made was the result of after flashing the first tune.

Here is what the scanner says
DTC Clase 2 Data Link Status: PHC Power Control Module (PCM)

and I notice this on the tune that says "Not Connected" even though the flash went through.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9210/tune.jpg

Blacky
March 25th, 2009, 08:19 AM
That picture shows the "Not connected" status of a RoadRunner controller. Are you using a RoadRunner?

Regards
Paul

goldbergv95
March 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
That picture shows the "Not connected" status of a RoadRunner controller. Are you using a RoadRunner?

Regards
Paul

No i am not using roadrunner.

ScarabEpic22
March 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM
No i am not using roadrunner.

Thats the RR control panel, absolutely nothing to do with EFILive's FlashScan modules.

This is getting ridiculous, post up the last tune that WORKED (name it accordingly) and post up the tune you're TRYING to flash. List EXACTLY what you've changed, everything.

Sorry if Im coming off pi$$ed off, Im not just frustrated because I know the tunes Ive sent ya will work, they do in my 02. And this weeks been hectic as anything...the joys of college right?

joecar
March 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM

4985Are you saying that these 2 are the before/after of a flash...?

goldbergv95
March 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM
This is getting ridiculous.

Sorry if Im coming off pi$$ed off, Im not just frustrated because I know the tunes Ive sent ya will work, they do in my 02. And this weeks been hectic as anything...the joys of college right?

My thoughts Exactly! Thats alright, im more piss off on why the efilive keeps changing the pcm configurations.

Are you saying that these 2 are the before/after of a flash...?

Yes, and I have done them many times. When Erik and I were discussin about the difference in the OS, I used the old OS and the fans started to work but the efilive still changes the tune configuration.

I just recently got 4.10 installed from 3.73 and the efilive keeps changing from 4.10 to 3.73 after everytime I flash. I heard this werid rear noise that has something to do w/ the gear ratio. It slow from stop or on the city but when shift on higher gear (ex. in the highways) its fast.

BTW, It feels like the gear shifts to higher gear too early, which makes a bad start from stop.

goldbergv95
March 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 http://forum.efilive.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=90545#post90545)
This is getting ridiculous.

My thoughts Exactly! Thats alright, im more piss off on why the efilive keeps changing the pcm configurations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecar http://forum.efilive.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=90555#post90555)
Are you saying that these 2 are the before/after of a flash...?

Yes, and I have done them many times. When Erik and I were discussin about the difference in the OS, I used the old OS and the fans started to work but the efilive still changes the tune configuration.

I just recently got 4.10 installed from 3.73 and the efilive keeps changing from 4.10 to 3.73 after everytime I flash. I heard this werid rear noise that has something to do w/ the gear ratio. It slow from stop or on the city but when shift on higher gear (ex. in the highways) its fast.

BTW, It feels like the gear shifts to higher gear too early, which makes a bad start from stop.

joecar
March 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
When you change OS, do you do a full-flash...?

goldbergv95
March 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I had two different tunes from two different companies, both have different OS on my tunes. From pcmforless the os reads 12575262 and for wait4me it has 12587430. From wait4me I ask for pcm modifications so i dont know if changing the os has anything to do with it.

what is a full-flash? I do the same flash that I have been doing since I got the efilive.

Here's what I did, upload the tune, click on the green arrow pcm picture, Un-check the fast speed box, check status, start (while keys are on on), turn the keys towards off when told to, tune done, check the tune after the flash and the flash made changes that I did not authorize.

joecar
March 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM
There are 2 flash functions:
- cal-only-flash (narrow red down arrow button): used for flashing in calibrations only.
- full-flash (wide red down arrow button): used for flashing OS and calibrations (i.e. the full file).

A "calibration" is defined as the collection of tables and parameters containing the operating values for a subsystem (e.g. engine cal, engine diag cal, trans cal, trans diag cal, speedo cal).

An OS (operating system) is defined as containing the operating "algorithm" which reads the calibrations and uses their values in its algorithms to operate all the subsystems.

You use cal-only-flash after you have edited some tables/parameters to flash in the calibrations.

You use full-flash to change the OS (this flashes in the full file including the OS and the calibrations included in that file).

ScarabEpic22
March 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
joecar, P10s cant full flash, everything is done cal only flashes. So to get around it, have to copy all tables from a different tune file over to a stock file.

goldbergv95, I have been trying to get you to do this because this is your problem right here, you cannot flash a file with a different calibration and you MUST copy ALL the tables over to a stock file.

Post up the last file that works and the one you want to work, Ill take a look and see what your problem is. As far as i can tell this is NOT an EFILive issue as the OS doesnt just magically change and every P10 Ive flashed Ive made work with no problems (except for the 3 tables in OS 12587430).

goldbergv95
March 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
joecar, P10s cant full flash, everything is done cal only flashes. So to get around it, have to copy all tables from a different tune file over to a stock file.

goldbergv95, I have been trying to get you to do this because this is your problem right here, you cannot flash a file with a different calibration and you MUST copy ALL the tables over to a stock file.

Yeah I know, I just changed back to the old os and its still the same, only the fans work but the calibrations still changed.

Here is the file I used today that changed automaticly usintg the old OS

Here were the two tunes that did work but no longer work, have gear shift problems from stop to go and still have torque converter locking and unlock too early. To tell you the truth these two tune from both different companies shift real bad. I think it might have something to do with the 93 tune shift.

joecar
March 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
joecar, P10s cant full flash, everything is done cal only flashes. So to get around it, have to copy all tables from a different tune file over to a stock file...Oh/Ah... I see...

goldbergv95
March 30th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 http://forum.efilive.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=90641#post90641)

Yeah I know, I just changed back to the old os and its still the same, only the fans work but the calibrations still changed.

Here is the file I used today that changed automaticly usintg the old OS

Here were the two tunes that did work but no longer work, have gear shift problems from stop to go and still have torque converter locking and unlock too early. To tell you the truth these two tune from both different companies shift real bad. I think it might have something to do with the 93 tune shift.

goldbergv95
March 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
?????

ScarabEpic22
March 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ill look at it tomorrow if I have time, just pulled all nighters thurs, fri, and sun nights so i cant really think straight. And looking at tunes that sleep deprived might not be such a great idea, but ill look at it soon.