PDA

View Full Version : did i do this correctly?

hhorton
March 22nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
I have an FJO WB and have it's 5v output linked to my ext1 in. To calibrate the FJO, I disconnected the FJO from the EFI unit and, with the engine off, I checked the voltage output of the FJO with a DVM (4.56v) steady. I then plugged into the EFI unit and checked the EXT.AD1 voltage (4.38v) average. There was a noticable delta between the two voltages (0.18v). I then added the "dropped" voltage to the "calibrated FJO" PID I made. Below are the details and the attached logs are from me cruising at 65mpg on the way to the track, and the other from a WOT 1st to 3rd run down the track.

So, did I calibrate correctly?
Should I trust my calibrated CAFR PID over the default FJO PID?

DVM 4.56V
EFI 4.38V
Delta 0.18V

Default FJO Calculation afr=v*2.5+8.75
My Adjustment Calculation afr=(v+0.18v)*2.5+8.75

Stealth97
March 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Interesting thoughts there. I'd like to hear an answer from GMPX on this one. Contact Tech Support or maybe PM joecar.

mr.prick
March 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
There is a sticky on calc.pid offsets.
If your DMM shows a different voltage than the V2 then it needs to be calibrated.
V2 A/D Calibration - FAQ (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4593)

You might want to ask TAQuickness (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=526) for a serial cable.

hhorton
March 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
There is a sticky on calc.pid offsets.
If your DMM shows a different voltage than the V2 then it needs to be calibrated.
V2 A/D Calibration - FAQ (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4593)

You might want to ask TAQuickness (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=526) for a serial cable.

I'm not disputing you're advice but I do worry when I see the following text.

"FlashScan is pre-calibrated at the factory and the end user should never
need to perform the calibratration procedure."

You may notice I've got an Fuel Pressure input via the EGR. How will this affect it's reading? For that matter, I'm assuming by changing the factory calibration, ANY input may be affected. Correct?

I was considering the need to perform a similar calibration adjustment to my FP sensor input as well, but maybe I need to keep all of the stock CALCs and adjust the factory calibration settings as your attachment indicates.

Recommendations for a controlled input voltage? Maybe a couple of batteries?

mr.prick
March 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
I had to calibrate mine,
and if your V2 reads differently from your DMM then it should be done.
The fact that we have the option to calibrate the AD's is proof
that it could/should be necessary.

I use 1 AA battery for the initial voltage and 3 for the calibrate voltage.
You can get a battery holder at Radioshack. (http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=battery%20holder&origkw=battery%20holder&sr=1)

I personally suggest the serial connection for WBO2.

hhorton
March 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ok, I must be dense. I've read the instructions over about two dozen times and repeated the process the same. No matter what I do, I cant get the calibration to change. I (Start) with one AA battery 1.612v (Initialize). Then use two AA 3.25v. (Calibrate)... (Stop)

I end up with the A/D count 0, Cactor 999.9 and offset 1162.

When I check the realtime data for my A1 in. I leave the two AA's connected for verification and it will always reads 3.15v NOT 3.25v. I,ve even fudged my numbers a few times to try and force a change, but it never does...

What am I doing wrong!? :( I know the A/D count should be > 0? What's up?

mr.prick
March 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Are you using the V2 control panel through the scan.exe or EFILive Explorer?
The scan tool does not work like it used to so use EFILive Explorer or you can
go through the V2 itself.

hhorton
March 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Are you using the V2 control panel through the scan.exe or EFILive Explorer?
The scan tool does not work like it used to so use EFILive Explorer or you can
go through the V2 itself.

I'm using the EFILive_Scan.exe FlashScan V2 Control panel. I'll try the explorer.

Thanks

Update!!! Perfect. The explorer tool works fine. Thanks.

It's good to know i'm not a complete goob! I wasn't doing it wrong, just using an old outedated nonworking feature of the scan.exe software. Who'd thunk it! I've liked EFI so far (not had it long), but I think they have a few Microsoft flunkies working on their code! :doh2:

mr.prick
March 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
You need to be connected to the car when you do.
This is important.

67SS509
August 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I have an FJO WB and have it's 5v output linked to my ext1 in. To calibrate the FJO, I disconnected the FJO from the EFI unit and, with the engine off, I checked the voltage output of the FJO with a DVM (4.56v) steady. I then plugged into the EFI unit and checked the EXT.AD1 voltage (4.38v) average. There was a noticable delta between the two voltages (0.18v). I then added the "dropped" voltage to the "calibrated FJO" PID I made. Below are the details and the attached logs are from me cruising at 65mpg on the way to the track, and the other from a WOT 1st to 3rd run down the track.

So, did I calibrate correctly?
Should I trust my calibrated CAFR PID over the default FJO PID?

DVM 4.56V
EFI 4.38V
Delta 0.18V

Default FJO Calculation afr=v*2.5+8.75
My Adjustment Calculation afr=(v+0.18v)*2.5+8.75

Noticed on your calc.pid you are using 2.5+8.75, I have a FJO also and have been using 2.0+8.75. Should I be using the same as yours? Probably should check my calibration also.