PDA

View Full Version : Auto VE and MAF

kistlerjm9
March 31st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Im slightly confused with the AutoVE tuturial does it only work with SD tuning! It never explains how to turn the MAF back on after your done or do you just not use AutoVE with a MAF sorry the newbie is trying to gain a better understanding of this! Im working on a 2000 camaro btw!

swingtan
March 31st, 2009, 08:54 PM
Auto VE is done with the MAF disabled. If you chose to run a MAF after dialing in the VE, you'll need to reverse the step taken to disable it, then dial in the MAF so it is correct.

Simon

exploder
April 1st, 2009, 03:24 AM
I can't find a writeup on how to dial the MAF back in. Is there a autoMAF procedure out there?

joecar
April 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
Same as AutoVE but with MAF enabled, and...

- if you're using analog AFR you have to use the B5001 BEN map for your wideband,
- if you're using serial AFR, copy/edit one of the B5001 BEN maps to use EXT.WO2AFR1 as the data.

zapp168
April 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Same as AutoVE but with MAF enabled, and...

- if you're using analog AFR you have to use the B5001 BEN map for your wideband,
- if you're using serial AFR, copy/edit one of the B5001 BEN maps to use EXT.WO2AFR1 as the data.

I have never actually been able to tune the MAF using this method, I posted about it months ago, there was someone else with the same problem, but I never got any answer as to why, I think the car went really really lean after trying to turn the MAF back on. Joe, reading your post, could using the wrong data caused my issue?

joecar
April 5th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Using the wrong data, or using Lamda as fuel units, will certainly cause problems...

I don't remember that thread, I'll have to find it and reread it.

AutoMAF seems to work for some vehicles and not for others, I don't know the reasons.

zapp168
April 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Using the wrong data, or using Lamda as fuel units, will certainly cause problems...

I don't remember that thread, I'll have to find it and reread it.

AutoMAF seems to work for some vehicles and not for others, I don't know the reasons.

Well maybe I am not as dumb as I think, but I never did get the MAF to work right on that one car. That guy is still driving it around with the MAF unplugged, he does not mind as SD works fine, but at some point I told him to bring it back so I can figure it out.....just for my own education....He could care less about it.

poolshark021
April 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure if there is a tutorial for AutoMAF but I believe you have to set B0120 to 400 so it is always using maf only for airflow calculations. Otherwise it will use a combination of maf and speed density which will throw off your data.

hquick
April 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure if there is a tutorial for AutoMAF but I believe you have to set B0120 to 400 so it is always using maf only for airflow calculations. Otherwise it will use a combination of maf and speed density which will throw off your data.

Correct. Then just use BEN's same as for the VE table.

joecar
April 6th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Well maybe I am not as dumb as I think, but I never did get the MAF to work right on that one car. That guy is still driving it around with the MAF unplugged, he does not mind as SD works fine, but at some point I told him to bring it back so I can figure it out.....just for my own education....He could care less about it.What year/model is it...?

zapp168
April 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
What year/model is it...?

It was a 1999 camaro LS1, We put in a cam, I did the auto VE, I got it tuned in pretty close, went back to MAF and it ran super lean, I got on here and asked why...was told to tune the MAF, did that and it still just went way lean. This was a while ago and the guy is just happy with it SD, then he took it off the road for the winter so I never did get it back to figure it out yet. I will try to find the post

zapp168
April 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Joe, It was here.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7505

joecar
April 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'll have a reread of that thread...

Hmmm.... post your tune/log files here.

Sanity checks... did you:
- check your wideband for correct output...?
- check your B4001 IFR table...?
- start from AutoVE with VE "corrected" (BEN's close to 1.00)...?
- enable the MAF (DTC goes away)...?
- set B0120 to zero/400...?
- use the B5001 BEN map to paste-multiply-with-labels into table B5001...?

You could try something... in OLSD (as setup for AutoVE) log DYNAIR [g/s] and MAFFREQ [Hz] and create a map that looks like the B5001 MAF table (use the B5001 BEN map as a template), and paste that into B5001... (also take note how much difference there is)... then enable the MAF (and only the MAF), set B0120 to zero, and log BEN, DYNAIR, MAF... post that log (and tune also)...

Remember: keep the pid channel count to 24 or less (i.e. no more than 4 packets).

joecar
April 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Are you distinguishing between when VE and Backup VE are used...?

zapp168
April 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'll have a reread of that thread...

Hmmm.... post your tune/log files here.

Sanity checks... did you:
- check your wideband for correct output...?
- check your B4001 IFR table...?
- start from AutoVE with VE "corrected" (BEN's close to 1.00)...?
- enable the MAF (DTC goes away)...?
- set B0120 to zero/400...?
- use the B5001 BEN map to paste-multiply-with-labels into table B5001...?

You could try something... in OLSD (as setup for AutoVE) log DYNAIR [g/s] and MAFFREQ [Hz] and create a map that looks like the B5001 MAF table (use the B5001 BEN map as a template), and paste that into B5001... (also take note how much difference there is)... then enable the MAF (and only the MAF), set B0120 to zero, and log BEN, DYNAIR, MAF... post that log (and tune also)...

Remember: keep the pid channel count to 24 or less (i.e. no more than 4 packets).

hquick had the same issue and he is posting here, maybe he solved it??
Anyway....it was a while ago I don't think I have the logs
I use this wideband as portable on several cars it worked ok before and after
I am going to paste everything you said and hopefully this guy should be taking the car out of storage soon so I will dig back in again...as always...Thank you!

hquick
April 8th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I did have an issue with my WBO2 in that the power supply jack turned out to be a bit dodgy. As soon as I fixed that....my numbers went rich (opposite to what it was earlier).
I haven't re-visited tuning the MAF as it's now in the shed! (the MAF that is).

kistlerjm9
April 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM
well i have to go back and start over because when i tried to automaf i fucked something up!!!! Not a big suprise i guess but def a little scary my afr just went from 12.9 at wot to 15.3 eeeeeekkkkk and 4.3 KR!!!! Not sure what I did but here is the .tun anything you see that might help please lmk have cold beer for all!