PDA

View Full Version : ls1 spark knock

smslyguy
April 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have a 01 camaro ss that i bought with 19,000 miles on it. Since i have owned it i have had and still have spark knock issues. was woundering if anybody else had issues with this yr. And if they have a spark table to go off of if they did change the values. I have noticed it only does it when the ouside temp is above 75 degrees. When its cold outside there is no spark knock. Also if i am driving around town for an extended period of time. I have tried seafoam, and always run premium gas as well, I have heard that these years cars timing tables are a little advanced and have heard of guys pulling timming back. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Since i have owned it i have put s.t.headers,air lid,forced air induction, Ported and polished m.a.f. slp exahust.

SSpdDmon
April 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
2000 LS1's had the most aggressive timing tables and were known for running lean. You should try cleaning your MAF if you haven't recently. '01s will knock from a lean condition or from oil being sucked into the intake before they will due to a timing issue in my experience.

The other thing that all LS1's combat is false IATs. The IAT sensor is subject to heat soak in the stock location and will cause the car to lean out as underhood temps rise. I relocated my IAT sensor on my last N/A car. This helped a lot with consistency. If you're mostly stock though, the fuel trims should be making up for the swing in fueling.

smslyguy
April 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Well i know for sure it's not the m.a.f sensor cause i have cleaned it with a cleaner. Where exactly did you move your i.a.t sensor? And i don't think it would be oil, cause it doesn't use any oil between changes. Any other suggestions?

SSpdDmon
April 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Well i know for sure it's not the m.a.f sensor cause i have cleaned it with a cleaner. Where exactly did you move your i.a.t sensor? And i don't think it would be oil, cause it doesn't use any oil between changes. Any other suggestions?
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5501

joecar
April 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Peek inside your intake manifold with a flashlight thru the throttle body to check for oil.

smslyguy
April 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I have done that already and i have found nothing, also though, wouldn't it be using oil if that was the case??

jeff keyuk
April 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Here a thought! What type of air filter are you using, I hear guys with KN filters and spraying KN Treatment on them, oil treatment gets caught up in on the mass air elements ???????

smslyguy
April 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I am currently running a k&n air filter, although it still "spark Knocked" with the old one.

joecar
April 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Post log/tune files.