PDA

View Full Version : How about EFilive on the Iphone????

Highlander
April 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM
That would be TOTALLY sick!....

With the upcoming OS3.0 you guys can do either bluetooth or a directly connected device to dock connector.

Possible?

mr.prick
April 5th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I asked the Bluetooth question before and was told NO.
"Iphone logging" can be done with this (http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/)

GMPX
April 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
You all might be surprised to know that the number of mobile / cell phones owned by Paul and myself totals 0 :)

mr.prick
April 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
You all might be surprised to know that the number of mobile / cell phones owned by Paul and myself totals 0 :)

I don't own one either,
but I'm shocked that you big time CEOs don't have one.
I'm guessing you guy's use have a team of personal assistants to do your bidding. :hihi:

ScarabEpic22
April 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Wow! Well that means when you go on vacation its definitely a "see ya!" to work! (Except when you bring a laptop which Im willing to bet you do anyway.)

Ive only got 1, but just got an iPod Touch on thursday and man its fun to play around with. Surfing the web on campus sans computer, tunes, apps.

GMPX
April 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Email and office phones cause enough distractions, I don't need another. A vacation does not mean relocating the office! I always have my laptop on hand but that is about it.

Cheers,
Ross

gmh308
April 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
That would be TOTALLY sick!....

With the upcoming OS3.0 you guys can do either bluetooth or a directly connected device to dock connector.

Possible?

Yo!

With EFIlive as an "APP" on IPhone, EFILive could get into the TV ads like the one where the doctor checks out MRI images.

Tune your knees, then go tune your car on the track! It has inbuilt accelerometers, so easy as!

Not that I have an IPhone, but when I had a Treo, it cut down my time on the phone overall by almost 50% and meant I was no longer tied to a desk for email....which meant far more freedom to move around! :grin:

98 tigershark
September 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Of course you guys do not own a cell phone personally as you have company ones. Should I publish the #s?
A friend,
98 tigershark

98 tigershark
September 7th, 2009, 06:00 AM
The iphones and touches use something called moore technology. I think it is based on SARS but that is just a guess. A cell phone can tune a gm pcm I am told. Is this true and what are you guy planning? to have you give the answer we dont own a cell phone personally. PIDs? bins? really!
Curious tuner,
98 tigershark

GMPX
September 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Someone isn't taking me seriously. I have 0% interest in owning or using an iPhone yet alone developing an 'app' for said device. The idea of displaying a Virtual VE table on an iPhone is laughable, because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Official announcement: EFILIVE WILL NEVER DEVELOP IT'S PRODUCT FOR A CELL PHONE OF ANY TYPE.

98 tigershark
September 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM
You are wrong GMPX, I am taking you very seriously. I of course am not talking about using a cell phone to tune. But you guys are allot more than programmers. You have to be aware of Moore technology( I think I spelled that right) and SARS as that is the future of networking and you guy are pretty cutting edge.
And I mean that as a compliment. I would never doubt you, but you are an intellectual technology company so I do not expect you to advertise anything you are working on until you make that discussion. But bins, and pids, Linux / unix, apps? I am looking forward to whatever your next move is, thats all!
By the way is a GMPX a turboed Buick 6 cylinder?
Very respectfully,
98 tigershark

Someone isn't taking me seriously. I have 0% interest in owning or using an iPhone yet alone developing an 'app' for said device. The idea of displaying a Virtual VE table on an iPhone is laughable, because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Official announcement: EFILIVE WILL NEVER DEVELOP IT'S PRODUCT FOR A CELL PHONE OF ANY TYPE.

GMPX
September 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
By the way is a GMPX a turboed Buick 6 cylinder?
Very respectfully,
98 tigershark
No, but I do like those old cars, from memory they were called a GNX. I think they are worth about $20K these days for a nice one.
To be honest, I don't remember where GMPX came from, It's an acronym for something, I just can't remember what.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
September 7th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Well, I am in love with my iPhone. A purchase I totally do not regret (unlike may other expensive phone purchases) :)

gmh308
September 7th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Well, I am in love with my iPhone. A purchase I totally do not regret (unlike may other expensive phone purchases) :)

That makes two types in EFILive now...those who do and those who dont...IPhone. :grin:

And the only person in EFILive with a mobile phone!

Such is the responsibility a person in support carries :).

Tordne
September 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
My mobile phone pretty much serves as a device by which I can be nagged when out of the house :)

gmh308
September 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
My mobile phone pretty much serves as a device by which I can be nagged when out of the house :)

Is that a chance for a new "app". Nag manager! :)

It automatically answers and plays back a piece from a Clint Eastwood film where he has been whacked and is on the ground being attended to by a rapidly talking Sondra Locke....where he gives her that "look" and sighs...."nag, nag, nag" :)

poolshark021
September 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Sort of an iLeash? :grin:

98 tigershark
September 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I use both macs and PCs but I never take my PCs on line. As I said, then Paul and Ross would find out that that I sell black market Licenses. But if we had an i app now then Apple would get a piece of the action as you have to go through a somewhat long process and they do deny them (the apps for i app, but do aprove around 70% so they say, I think it has to do with their cut of the action personally) and have recently been called on by the FCC for unreasonably denying them(the i apps platform that is). Apple has answered and It seemed reasonable to me, they want a piece of the action.
So, if it were me I would try Linux and a different medium. But with Linux and unix, One can steal most info pretty easy with the use of a pseudo, pseudo sam or alias and hide it with a secret invisible Samba and password). DOS is just as easy though. Apple does tick me off as I cant load my hundreds of CDs (mostly music and movies) I own and paid for on my ipods and the touch because apple wants to sell it to me again thru iTunes, go figure. Oddly enough Ipods and most players use RAW or a FAT partition and not a fat32 or guid. Interesting!!! They do have PCs that can now run on either or both linux/unix and even Mac OX, they are called macpc's, Micromacs, macdosses or crapples (ithink one way is a program called Pear4). This is not boot camp or Parallel. U can also use thum sticks for linux/windows and now mac OX.
What are the EFILive guys up to with Linux? By the way guys, Tordne knows all of this and is very good with Macs and PCs, so hound him, he also has a cell phone!! His # is.... I better not.
Cant wait to find out,
98 tigershark

mr.prick
September 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
You can't load an ipod with MP3's?

98 tigershark
September 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have reformatted my sons iPod with a fat partition and it has worked for 2 years now with MP3! It does take a layered thumb program too. Look it up, it is easy to find many how tos that work!!! You do have to use an older non updated original iPod disk and MP3 works fine even in the Windows Media player. Just do not update as they were a day late and a dollar short. If you have updated and dont have both original discs (WIndows and the iPod) you may not be able too. But we can. Naner naner naner!!!
98 tigershark

You can't load an ipod with MP3's?

98 tigershark
September 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hey mr.prick,
If you can wait until Wednesday, I will send you a screen shot of an iPod with MP3 and ACC both on them and I can still cut and past the music to the iPod in MP3 format by copying(cut and paste) it to iTunes. I just double checked my old 30 gig ipod too and it is absolutely correct. It (the iPod) also works with either Windows Media player and iTunes with MP3 and ACC, But!!!! It is windows SP1 and the original ipod disk. We paid for allot of money for music for our own personal use and have a legal right to load them on my household players for our own personal use. Under the original Licenses the copy rights and duplicating were recognized as for your personal use, only! If I shared or updated I would have had to agree not too copy my own music that I own and abandoned my legal rights, so read the Licenses before updating in the future. I would have given up the right to use my own music on the player, its all about the license. I do not copy for or share with anyone else as that is a violation even under the old disks. That is only fair as I did pay for them and the artist also got paid. That is the right way and legal also.
I knew right away after reading that I would have given up my legal rights if I checked that stupid little box! the one that says I agree!
Best wishes,
98 tigershark

mr.prick
September 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I ripped all my old CDs to MP3 then sold my CDs, :hihi:
user agreements be damned.
I will never buy another CD again only 15ยข MP3s (http://www.gomusicnow.com/) or convert youtube videos to MP3. :secret:
Most musicians don't deserve full price anyways. :rippedhand:

Tordne
September 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
What are the EFILive guys up to with Linux? By the way guys, Tordne knows all of this and is very good with Macs and PCs, so hound him, he also has a cell phone!!

I have been tempted to run Linux on my workstation/laptop a number of times. The unfortunately reality (for me anyway) is that I need to run Windows pretty much all the time. I have even toyed with running Windows in a VM, but if you are always operating in a VM it gets a bit tired.

I run Linux on all our servers. My biggest annoyance at the moment is trying to get Offline Files working with Samba :chair:. You can open any file you like on any Samba share, but Offline Files complains (exactly the number of errors as files to be sync'd). That just makes no sense!! If I can open the file why can't it GRRR! Figure it will get fixed quickly when Windows 7 get used on mass anyway.

Back to the topic (sort of). Until I bought the iPhone I was never really a supporter of anything out of the Apple camp. I chose to have all my music in the Microsoft WMA format. I waited, and waited for a compelling device to come out and compete with the iPhone. I know the Zune exists (but now down in Australia/NZ for whatever reason). I actually figured at some point the iPhone would have to support WMA, but no!

Anyway, test drove an iPhone for a week before making up my mind. Converted all my music to iTunes Plus, and have not looked back :)

ScarabEpic22
September 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hackintoshs are becoming popular, take a PC and run OS X on it. Im going to try and do it here soon with an old PC I have laying around but the kicker is it has an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, not supposed to be able to run iATKOS on anything but x64...we'll see what happens.

I got an iPod Touch 8gb (should have spent the extra $$ for the 16 gig, mistake) with OS 2.2.1 on it and converted it to OS 3 for free (google it). I rip all my music in WMP as MP3s and load them straight onto my iPod. No converting and its nice because both iTunes and WMP dont balk at me (iTunes doesnt like my old music in WMA and WMP doesnt like AAC but will deal with them, iTunes converts everything to AAC).

Tordne
September 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I actually got OSX 10.5.5 (don't think I could update without killing it) running a VMware environment to have a "play" with.

GMPX
September 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I am yet to be convinced that anything out there offers me anything better than XP (for the software I need to run).
Ubuntu, I've tried to live with it, but it has too many sort comings in a Windows world. I can't see myself ever buying a Mac, esp when they are really just a PC with a standard architecture. Apple as a company has been on my 'hate' list since the 80's, old grudges never die.

98 tigershark
September 8th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Apple is actually on to something with There new technology in the iPhone and touches( it is very different fast compact and exciting) By the way for the younger generation the XBox will become some day their computer or so I am told. It puts out a very very powerful radio wave. These kind of waves are the Future and may be the new virtual cords to the PCMs to our cars PCMs/ECUs. I personally think Aside from that, My family bought me a Mac for XMas. Or else I would not have bought one at the time. We had dial up until 3 weeks ago now we have 5G DSL I think. DSL/cable/cell phones did not work at our house because we live up in the Mountains and hills and a southern view of the sky just weren't there for satlelite. I keep the dial up stuff now so that when we have Power outages I can still get my mail. The mac clearly worked better with dial up than Windows. I see the Mac platform like a schick Razor you buy the razor than it the blades that get you. It seems that Mac instead of offering update on there iWork 08 instead want to charge for iWork 09. I don't like to put windows apps on the mac i.e Windows office for Macs. I am researching this new Moores Technology so I will let you know what I find unless someone else can tell us more about it now. I was a hard fast windows guy and microsoft and Mac give realy pretty good customer service. But Macs do get viruses and trojans and get hacked just like anything else as Tordne said the unix sharing platform, as it is my understanding that unix is an almost open furum aside from a few passwords. So when they (Apple that is) say no viruses it is just a matter of symantics. I have too much time on my hands and play (i mean look at) with the incryption allot. Pretty cool stuff if you like to read it. I think it is just a matter of a few years anyway and the branding differences will be only the name. I like EFILive on Windows and want to put the small dell in my cars dash and the keyboard and touch pad on a swivle type of setup in my cars so it can be hidden if I can do it clean and can upgrade for the future. Look, I have a VHS to CD converter because I like to save the movies I buy. I would rather buy them than rent so I do not like a computer company dictating what I have paid for telling me what I can and cannot put on my computer. If you do read the lisences you might see they really tick me off. Pretty soon the whole world will be Google/Microsoft/ipod/Blueray/ and maybe Verizon. They all seem to want to License the world.
98 tigershark

Tordne
September 8th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I loaded up a Windows XP Professional VM for the first time in ages. And I have to say, looking at it with fresh eyes Vista and Windows 7 are definitely A LOT heavier!

I'm sitting here with my Linux external hard disk about to boot into that and have a renewed look right now :)

GMPX
September 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I loaded up a Windows XP Professional VM for the first time in ages. And I have to say, looking at it with fresh eyes Vista and Windows 7 are definitely A LOT heavier!Nicer looking icon's and harder access to operational parts of the PC advanced users want to access is all I see with Vista / W7.

98 tigershark
September 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hey Tordne,
Are you saying you are liking the VM better now?
98 tigershark
P.S. GMXP isnt that a printer port thing anyway? Is that why we are stuck with a USB setup?:hihi::cucumber::secret:

I loaded up a Windows XP Professional VM for the first time in ages. And I have to say, looking at it with fresh eyes Vista and Windows 7 are definitely A LOT heavier!

I'm sitting here with my Linux external hard disk about to boot into that and have a renewed look right now :)

gmh308
September 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Nicer looking icon's and harder access to operational parts of the PC advanced users want to access is all I see with Vista / W7.

And more stability. I get over 1,000 hours between some reboots on a laptop that is suspended and hibernated many times a day. XP would be lucky to make 100. :)

Only real issue with Vista is the way it abruptly runs out of graphics resources.

endo
September 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Given the app store approval process madness, I wouldn't even think of writing software for it. Writing software is enough of a technical challenge without dealing with Apple's quasi-political nonsense they exhibit toward the app store.

Tordne
September 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Are you saying you are liking the VM better now?

Not sure what you mean? I always use VMware when I am "playing" with something new and/or unknown and I don't want to potentially ruin my production environment (takes ages to recover from that!).

poolshark021
September 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Given the app store approval process madness, I wouldn't even think of writing software for it. Writing software is enough of a technical challenge without dealing with Apple's quasi-political nonsense they exhibit toward the app store.

Thats why cydia has gotten so big. Yea most of the stuff is free and you have to have your phone jailbroken to use it, but they are making good money off the apps that are being sold and there is no oversight from apple (I just love how it pisses them off!). I like being able to download simple things like custom themes and icons that apple refuses to allow on an iphone. How stupid is that?

On a side note I have been running a dual-boot hackintosh for a year or two and I really like it. Certain things the mac os just seems to be better at such as editing music and pictures. I know I can do the same thing with windows programs but the mac seems a little easier. At one point I was triple-booting Mac OS X, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 all on one pc. I never ended up using ubuntu so I deleted it. I still use windows 7 quite a bit and I like it. First thing I did was disable UAC and I haven't had any problems with it.

98 tigershark
September 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
MS is getting ready for infinite imagery and also uses it for Gov applications now. It started with the Mandelbrot, I think I spelled the name right. Infinite geometry is the future of imagery for all, but MS has been at it longer. Blue ray has won the day for now but do not count out MS, they just need a medium for the technology they posses. I bet it comes out of the Xbox platform as someday tuning will. The remotes are the future, that is for sure and the gamers have the edge here I bet.
98 tigershark

And more stability. I get over 1,000 hours between some reboots on a laptop that is suspended and hibernated many times a day. XP would be lucky to make 100. :)

Only real issue with Vista is the way it abruptly runs out of graphics resources.

GMPX
September 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
And more stability. I get over 1,000 hours between some reboots on a laptop that is suspended and hibernated many times a day. XP would be lucky to make 100. :)That is the opposite to me, I stick with XP because once installed it will usually behave itself for many years as long as you don't keep installing free demo crap that bloats the registry. I found this to be the situation on a number of PC's.

gmh308
September 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
That is the opposite to me, I stick with XP because once installed it will usually behave itself for many years as long as you don't keep installing free demo crap that bloats the registry. I found this to be the situation on a number of PC's.

Ah yes. LARDWare. Must've been the IBM laptops that I had XP on that de-stabilised it. :hihi:

gmh308
September 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM

BolloxWare!

98 tigershark
September 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Heelllloo Ross,

Come on now, you stick to XP because of your printers work better with it.
You are a USB and port expert I bet as you have that stuff down like no other.
98 tigershark

That is the opposite to me, I stick with XP because once installed it will usually behave itself for many years as long as you don't keep installing free demo crap that bloats the registry. I found this to be the situation on a number of PC's.

98 tigershark
September 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by endo

Apple is a business and they need money, money ,monieee
Apple and money live together in perfect harmony
Apple for ever and ever
Why? Because Im apple, Im Apple, Im Apple, Whose Bad? APPle apps thats who!
98 tigershark

GMPX
September 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Given the app store approval process madness, I wouldn't even think of writing software for it. Writing software is enough of a technical challenge without dealing with Apple's quasi-political nonsense they exhibit toward the app store.Did you see that someone did a Commodore 64 emulator for the iPhone, it was up for 2 days (maybe less) and Apple pulled it down. Read HERE (http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/09/08/1714205/Apple-Pulls-C64-Emulator-From-the-App-Store).
Maybe they are still bitter about the smacking the 64 gave Apple back in the 80's.

Chevy366
December 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM
How about a app for the Android ?

Tordne
December 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
I can't imagine what would possibly be worth doing on such a small platform? Often times these sorts of devices have very particular constraints on what can and more importantly cannot be done outside of the device (through their API). So it would be unlikely that the device could interface with a FlashScan for instance.

Now I'm not at all familiar with the Andriod platform, so given it is Google it might be entirely different :)

GMPX
December 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM
given it is Google it might be entirely different :)It will log everything you do and cache it somewhere for future reference :shock:

mr.prick
December 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
It will log everything you do and cache it somewhere for future reference :shock:
Future reference for the government. :eek:

gmh308
December 1st, 2009, 11:47 AM
Future reference for the government. :eek:

Which Windows already does. Did a manual clean up on an XP laptop last year. Was stunned what was left behind after supposed normal MS driven deletions/clears of history/caches/temps/blah blah.

Windows is set to not report the space a lot of this junk (intelligence?) takes up.

:secret: :shock: :shock:

mr.prick
December 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yes I know what can be recovered from your PC. :eek:
I sat on a grand jury for the summer a few years ago and
I learned quite a bit about that.
But they need physical possession of your PC.

Can you remember all the things you used a search engine for? :lookaround:
I am much more wary of Google than I am of MS.

ScarabEpic22
December 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM

I havent done that but I know how deep this stuff goes. Or at least I think I know, always erase my tracks when Im done on the net. Creeps me out knowing that big brother is always watching.

gmh308
December 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM

Actually they dont need always need possession of your PC. In the corporate world, there are several low key software vendors that offer solutions to large corporates to have forensic surveillance software as part of the standard load. It sits there running as a service and when the command comes, it downloads your hard drive to HQ. :secret:

And this is illegal in some jurisdictions under privacy laws, but they still do it. :shock: Se la vie.

mr.prick
December 1st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Looks like I should get one of them firewall thingys. :hihi:

ScarabEpic22
December 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Sheesh for that you're going to need a lot more than a firewall, disconnecting from the network/internet seems about the only way to get around it. Didnt even know that tech was out there, should have known better.

Chevy366
December 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Someone just released a Dyno App for the Droid 2.0 OS .
Got it and am going to play with it today . :secret:

Highlander
July 26th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Well..... Maybe an iPad... I am waiting on the HP Slate to buy it so I can tune with it. Much easier to handle than a laptop perse.

bobo
January 6th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I can't imagine what would possibly be worth doing on such a small platform? Often times these sorts of devices have very particular constraints on what can and more importantly cannot be done outside of the device (through their API). So it would be unlikely that the device could interface with a FlashScan for instance.

Now I'm not at all familiar with the Andriod platform, so given it is Google it might be entirely different :)

From a business prospective, mobile is a pretty handy way to do things on the fly. I always have my phone available. A laptop, not so much. If I could run EFI Tune tool on my phone, I could create tunes and send them out without using a laptop. That would be pretty nice to do while on the go. My phone is already on, on the Internet, and at my finger tips 24/7. Sure beats starting, charging, and finding an Internet connection for a laptop to do 15 minutes of work. I already have a lot of tune files saved to my phone. I can't view or edit them, but I can attach them to an email if I wanted to send them to somebody. Someday I'll be able to log into an ECM from my phone and tune it live. I can dream can't I?

Chevy366
January 6th, 2011, 05:45 AM
From a business prospective, mobile is a pretty handy way to do things on the fly. I always have my phone available. A laptop, not so much. If I could run EFI Tune tool on my phone, I could create tunes and send them out without using a laptop. That would be pretty nice to do while on the go. My phone is already on, on the Internet, and at my finger tips 24/7. Sure beats starting, charging, and finding an Internet connection for a laptop to do 15 minutes of work. I already have a lot of tune files saved to my phone. I can't view or edit them, but I can attach them to an email if I wanted to send them to somebody. Someday I'll be able to log into an ECM from my phone and tune it live. I can dream can't I?
+1
I use my phone 95% of time , has become a indispensable tool .
Android has or will overtake iPhone , the iPhone is so Pass'e , unless it makes it to VZW or the iPhone 5 does something spectacular I don't see them regaining ground anytime soon .
This is the coming future : http://phandroid.com/2011/01/05/motorola-atrix-4g-for-att-boasts-dual-cores-dock-transforms-phone-to-laptop/ : http://phandroid.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-walkthrough-video/ : best video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0x8_4qzCU
Android , Resistance is futile !

Tordne
January 6th, 2011, 06:35 AM
If these sorts of devices were to be developed at a later time I would envisage that it would provide only scan and diag functionality. Basically a more graphical and enriched experiance than is provided on the FlashScan V2 standalone today. I can't see the Tune Tool functionality ever being ported to a device like these.

On the device debate... I'll start by saying that I personally have and use an iPhone, but that it is the ONLY Apple product I have ever owned and that I am by no stretch of the imagination an Apple "fan boy".

I have recently been an Android owner as well (I bought 2 Samsung Galaxy S phones). I owned them for less than a month before selling them and getting 2 iPhone 4's (had annoyingly already sold our iPhone 3GS'). Anyway I was highly annoyed by the Android experience, not fore reasons of Android necessarily. The Android platform I think has to resolve these issues before it will become a compelling platform:
- Android 2.2 was released back in May 2010 and it was only starting to be made available to the Samsung Galaxy S platform (one of the first to offer an upgrade from 2. I believe). This was basically just in time for the 23 Android version to be released. Be each manufacturer taking a fork of Android at a point in time and then messing with the interface and applications on their specific device serves to slow down the whole release cycle to the customer. I think Android should prohibit device manufacturers modifying or augmenting functionality to any large degree so that the updates and functionality improvements are available to ALL customers promptly. This is essentially what is true from customers of the actual Google Nexus One, and probably the Google Nexus S also.

- Every single mobile carrier that provided and Android device seems to have an entirely customised firmware. This is typically so that they can brand the startup screen and probably more importantly include APN details for the device to access the internet etc, as well and SMS and messaging details. In addition to the above this creates a massive overhead on the device manufacturer and also serves to slow down any release due to inordinate testing and validation. I actually bricked one of these expensive phones while trying to be clever and get to a 2.2 firmware before it was oficially available from my carrier. Fortunately it was able to be recovered :)

- Lastly. I had a number of applications that I downloaded or purchased for the Android which were common with applications I used or bought for the iPhone. What I found is that the user experience and interface on the Android applications was quite variable vs. the Android standard apps. Things like the contacts list in VoIP softphones for instance appeared and functioned differently. By contrast what I'd considered to be the communist approach of Apples approval of all apps in the App Store actually serves to provide quality apps that for the most part look and feel consistent. Perhaps the included APIs are just better at this time.

Anyway, overall I was personally pretty surprised how poor and disjointed the Android experience was right now. I have no doubt it will get better, but I really think it should be ahead of where it is already at version 2.3. Take for instance the much publicised issues with SMS messages going to incorrect contacts, that's seriously bad and the bug has been around for months ;)

Chevy366
January 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM
If these sorts of devices were to be developed at a later time I would envisage that it would provide only scan and diag functionality. Basically a more graphical and enriched experiance than is provided on the FlashScan V2 standalone today. I can't see the Tune Tool functionality ever being ported to a device like these.

On the device debate... I'll start by saying that I personally have and use an iPhone, but that it is the ONLY Apple product I have ever owned and that I am by no stretch of the imagination an Apple "fan boy".

I have recently been an Android owner as well (I bought 2 Samsung Galaxy S phones). I owned them for less than a month before selling them and getting 2 iPhone 4's (had annoyingly already sold our iPhone 3GS'). Anyway I was highly annoyed by the Android experience, not fore reasons of Android necessarily. The Android platform I think has to resolve these issues before it will become a compelling platform:
- Android 2.2 was released back in May 2010 and it was only starting to be made available to the Samsung Galaxy S platform (one of the first to offer an upgrade from 2. I believe). This was basically just in time for the 23 Android version to be released. Be each manufacturer taking a fork of Android at a point in time and then messing with the interface and applications on their specific device serves to slow down the whole release cycle to the customer. I think Android should prohibit device manufacturers modifying or augmenting functionality to any large degree so that the updates and functionality improvements are available to ALL customers promptly. This is essentially what is true from customers of the actual Google Nexus One, and probably the Google Nexus S also.

- Every single mobile carrier that provided and Android device seems to have an entirely customised firmware. This is typically so that they can brand the startup screen and probably more importantly include APN details for the device to access the internet etc, as well and SMS and messaging details. In addition to the above this creates a massive overhead on the device manufacturer and also serves to slow down any release due to inordinate testing and validation. I actually bricked one of these expensive phones while trying to be clever and get to a 2.2 firmware before it was oficially available from my carrier. Fortunately it was able to be recovered :)

- Lastly. I had a number of applications that I downloaded or purchased for the Android which were common with applications I used or bought for the iPhone. What I found is that the user experience and interface on the Android applications was quite variable vs. the Android standard apps. Things like the contacts list in VoIP softphones for instance appeared and functioned differently. By contrast what I'd considered to be the communist approach of Apples approval of all apps in the App Store actually serves to provide quality apps that for the most part look and feel consistent. Perhaps the included APIs are just better at this time.

Anyway, overall I was personally pretty surprised how poor and disjointed the Android experience was right now. I have no doubt it will get better, but I really think it should be ahead of where it is already at version 2.3. Take for instance the much publicised issues with SMS messages going to incorrect contacts, that's seriously bad and the bug has been around for months ;)
iPhone 4 years of development , Android 1 year and has overtaken iPhone in sales , SORRY but iPhone has problems as well , I can hack a iPhone 3,4 in 2 minutes and retrieve all data off phone .
Can 't make calls unless you hold a certain way , or use a rubber band , screen breaks easily , display colors go rainbow , so do I go on ?
Some of your points are valid but so are mine !
Like it or not iPhone is old tech and broken tech as well .
Oh forgot to mention iPhone 4 has a alarm clock issue that Apple can't figure out how to fix as well .

Tordne
January 6th, 2011, 07:03 AM
iPhone 4 years of development , Android 1 year and has overtaken iPhone in sales , SORRY but iPhone has problems as well , I can hack a iPhone 3,4 in 2 minutes and retrieve all data off phone .
Can 't make calls unless you hold a certain way , or use a rubber band , screen breaks easily , display colors go rainbow , so do I go on ?
Some of your points are valid but so are mine !
Like it or not iPhone is old tech and broken tech as well .
Oh forgot to mention iPhone 4 has a alarm clock issue that Apple can't figure out how to fix as well .

I guess we all ultimately vote with our wallet. Hell knows I've voted enough the last couple of months :)

I think what you might find (and HTC have already hinted to this) is that if Google solves the biggest problem of fragmentation of the platform among device manufacturers by restricting the development of interface overlays you might find that the device manufacturers move to another (or develop their own) OS. Amongst the main reasons people are using the Android platform is because it is free. Sometimes you get what you pay for ;)

Anyway, this is an EFILive on iPhone thread and I'll check out now...