PDA

View Full Version : Please Help.. EFI Live-Adding Wideband PID

tatasta
April 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hello,

I am a total newb at using my EFI Live V1. I really like it but I am struggling with both enabling and calibrating my NGK AFX wideband.

I have the external plug wired correctly and actually had it displaying on the dashboard gauge for a while but I noticed that the dashboard gauge seemed to always read 14.63:1 unless I went WOT, then it read 12.12:1.

I really, really need someone to look at my list of "selected" PIDs and the sae_generic file I copied for this post. I also attached the voltage/afr table that works with my NGK wideband.

I read and read the instructions but it seems that it just won't click for me. I did good with my TCC, rev limiter, shift point tuning. I just CANNOT get this done.

If someone could walk me through it with examples of the changes, I know I can get a grip.

Thank you very much!!

mr.prick
April 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM
[Parameters]
CALC.AFR_NGKF=1,4217
CALC.BEN_NGK1=1,4268
EXT.AD1=1,4397
GM.AFR=1,4433

copy these to your Pids file of choice,
and keep you channel count to 24.

tatasta
April 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hey Mr. P,

Thanks for the help. When I say newb, I mean like 1 post on here newb.

I hate to ask, but could you show me where on the pids.txt file these numbers go. Possibly copy or edit a part of my attachment.

Also, where in this process are the channels for pids assigned?

Sorry to be a pest. It drives me crazy to struggle with this stuff.

Thank you

joecar
April 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Don't be afraid to ask... otherwise you'll never know... ;)

mr.prick
April 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM
At the bottom of the PIDs list you will see the total of the PIDs selected
and the total channels,
there is also a column that shows the channels foe each PID.

You can copy the posted PIDs (in red) to your saved PID list
or copy the whole thing and save it in the PIDs folder, then open it with
the scan.exe then add other PIDs of your choice.

joecar
April 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hmmm... good one... interesting... I wonder what the pairs of numbers mean...?

tatasta
April 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hmmm... good one... interesting... I wonder what the pairs of numbers mean...?

Guessing on the next cry for help?:)

mr.prick
April 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM
What I posted was those PIDs saved to .txt
If you open a PID file with notepad that is what you will see.

Are you still having trouble?

joecar
April 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
tatasta (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=8763),

I am sorry it's taken so long to reply properly, I have been drowning in work... :doh2:

What vehicle/year/model do you have...?

You need to do these things:

- Go back to the stock sae_generic.txt file (see attached) (sae_generic.txt should not be modified since it will get written over whenever you update the software);

[[with your NGK wideband you don't need any calc pids, but if there are any other calc pids you want, then they should go into calc_pids.txt located under My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration.]]

- What software build version do you have (go Help->About)...? The latest build (83) version is preferable; goto the Downloads page at www.efilive.com (http://www.efilive.com) for the latest (and follow the instructions for updating).

- Connect your wideband to the AD2 external input (remember, the center pin of the 3 pins is ground); the reason for this is that the NGK AFR pid for AD1 is named incorrectly as CALC.AFR_NGKF (I notified Paul) which won't work with CALC.BEN_NGK1... so therefore use EXT.AD2, CALC.AFR_NGK2, CALC.BEN_NGK2.

- On the PIDs tab, select these pids:
CALC.AFR_NGK2
CALC.BEN_NGK2
EXT.AD2
GM.AFR

and select any other pids you may want such as:
DYNCYLAIR_DMA
DYNAIR
VSS
RPM
TP
MAP
IAT
ECT
SPARKADV
KR
MFTOTAL
GEAR
TCCMODE
HO2S11
HO2S21
MAF (not needed if you're doing AutoVE/SD)
LONGFT1 (not neededif doing AutoVE/OL)
LONGFT2 (not needed if doing AutoVE/OL)
Be sure that the pid channel count does not exceed 24 channels (4 packets) as displayed at the bottom of the PIDs tab.

---> Save the pids to file (using the 4th button from the left at the top of the PIDs tab).

- On the Dash tab, select dash B (the chart page) and populate some charts with the pids you have selected... (you do this by rightclicking on the far right or far left of each chart and selecting a pid from the menu that pops up); when you have 4 pids to a chart, do rightclick->Properties and Save As (give it a filename, do not change folder);

---> when all the charts are populated, save the dash page (using the 8th button from the left at the top of the Dash tab).

You are now ready to log, your wideband should produce valid numbers for CALC.AFR_NGK2.

joecar
April 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
If you open a PID file with notepad that is what you will see.Yes, I saw that... I wonder what the numbers mean...?

tatasta
April 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
If you open a PID file with notepad that is what you will see.

Are you still having trouble?

Mr. P,

Yes, I am still lost. I am beginning to understand a little more about the parameters but just can't relate too what parts of the sae.generic need to be edited.

The thing that would be most helpful would be an example of the actual parameters edited with the text you supplied earlier.

This is so damn frustrating. I know it is not that difficult but until I can see the changes in place, I don't think it will click. :help2:

Sorry the co-dependence.

tatasta
April 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yes, I saw that... I wonder what the numbers mean...?

Wow,

Thanks joecar. You posted up while I was writing my last one.

I appreciate the help.

joecar
April 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Wow,

Thanks joecar. You posted up while I was writing my last one.

I appreciate the help.Hey, no problem... :cheers:

BTW: you can post images directly to the forum, you don't need to use Excel/Word/PPT...
see post #2 in the following: showthread.php?t=3064 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3064)

joecar
April 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Also read the following:
Scantool pdf
Tunetool pdf
AutoVE Tutorial pdf

What car do you have...?

tatasta
April 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
joecar,

I will follow all of your instructions. Thank you.

It is a 1999 Trans Am anc current build is V7.5 so I will update.

Again, thanks!!

joecar
April 7th, 2009, 03:37 PM
When you do Help->About you will see a build number (e.g. Build 72)... the latest build is Build 83.

mr.prick
April 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Mr. P,

Yes, I am still lost. I am beginning to understand a little more about the parameters but just can't relate too what parts of the sae.generic need to be edited.

The thing that would be most helpful would be an example of the actual parameters edited with the text you supplied earlier.

This is so damn frustrating. I know it is not that difficult but until I can see the changes in place, I don't think it will click. :help2:

Sorry the co-dependence.

You should not need to change the sae.generic.txt, ever.
To make a calc.pid for WBO2 you change the calc.pids.txt in
C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

Your WBO2 is supported, just select the PIDs.
Like joecar said, make sure you have the latest build.

joecar
April 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Yes, this was complicated by the CALC.AFR_NGK1 being named incorrectly as CALC.AFR_NGKF.

mr.prick
April 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
so the sae.generic did need to be edited?

joecar
April 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
so the sae.generic did need to be edited?Yes, that is correct.

Paul has it fixed for the next scantool release.

tatasta
April 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Ok, that was so easy that I am embarrassed I whined so much. From the beginning, I thought add ANY wbO2 had to be configured.

Anyway, thank all of you for your help. It did help me learn though.

Thanks again!:rockon:

joecar
April 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
When you can, post some screenshots of your progress (i.e. showing your wideband AFR etc...).