PDA

View Full Version : Getting the LT1 files to work.

turbo_bu
April 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM
The following is what I did to get the Evaluation version of EFILive V4 to work with my 94' Camaro Z28 (LT1 with a M6 transmission). For reference, I am using the Andrew Mattei cable that I bought when I got LT1Edit (standard MAX232 cable).

To get the software to talk to the ECM, I ended up removing the length parameters for the Mode $01 macros. Once I was able to get this to work, I noticed that for Mode $04, there was an error with the Spark Absolute command. After reading the Mode $04 documentation (under the Mode $04 tab), I noticed that for the Spark Absolute command, it should be a $01, not a $07 (that is the command for Retard Delta).

I hope these things that I found will work for others so they can also use this great tool.

Formula95
June 28th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post your file, I am trying out the eval of v4 i have a 95 firebird formula, I loaded your file but i get the following...

Heartbeat not found in previous 32 chatter frames - giving up looking for heartbeat

do you know what this could be? I am lost when it comes to this I have used tunercats for programming but thinking of using this for loggin etc. any help would be appreciated.

The following is what I did to get the Evaluation version of EFILive V4 to work with my 94' Camaro Z28 (LT1 with a M6 transmission). For reference, I am using the Andrew Mattei cable that I bought when I got LT1Edit (standard MAX232 cable).

To get the software to talk to the ECM, I ended up removing the length parameters for the Mode $01 macros. Once I was able to get this to work, I noticed that for Mode $04, there was an error with the Spark Absolute command. After reading the Mode $04 documentation (under the Mode $04 tab), I noticed that for the Spark Absolute command, it should be a $01, not a $07 (that is the command for Retard Delta).

I hope these things that I found will work for others so they can also use this great tool.

turbo_bu
June 29th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Did you try the other 2 LT1 files that come with V4? If you have an automatic tranny, that might be enough. Not sure though. I actually tried this this morning and it was returning some no heart beat stuff, but it would still do the overrides OK. I still need to go back and look and see what is going on again.

Blacky
June 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
If you select the "Display Chatter" option and no data is detected/displayed then the vehicle is not transmitting chatter. Therefor there is no heartbeat and no need to send any commands to silence the chatter.

In that case, you can uncheck the chatter check box on the [Chatter] tab page and remove the suspend and resume commands.

If you do get data but none of the data is detected by EFILive as suitable for use as a heartbeat then you'll need to figure out which one is the most appropriate message to use as a heartbeat.

The best frame to use is one that is always the same (at least the first few bytes) and those first few bytes are unique from all other chatter messages. And that there is 20ms or more after that frame before the next frame.

You then, specify the heartbeat frame as the first few unique and constant bytes (3, 4 or 5 bytes is usually enough) of that frame and set T4 to 1/2 the number of milliseconds between the heartbeat frame and the next frame. That is the time EFILive will wait (after receiving the heartbeat frame) before transmitting the "suspend" command.

Regards
Paul

Formula95
July 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks Blacky, I have figured out that i could get the heart beat from using the auto detect chatter command which did work so i modified the file posted with my heartbeat and it worked. Although it seems to just stop connecting after a while then i check and the heartbeat changed, so i edit the heartbeat it works for a while then changes again. Also i was not able to read any diagnostic codes as this was my main goal. I have a 95 LT1 and tried both file included and neither worked for me, i must be doing something wrong, when i try read the pdf guide and click on the link it says page can not be displayed, can you please sned me the PDF in e-mail if i provide my address?

Blacky
July 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Not sure which pdf you are refering to, the V4 help files are html.
After installing the software the help file should be: \Program Files\EFILive\V4\Docs\Index.htm. If not, try downloading and installing the software again.

As for the heartbeat, you should reduce the length of the heartbeat frame definition so that you only specify the first 2, 3 ro 4 bytes that are constant and do not change.

Regards
Paul