PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique This Tune

tatasta
April 10th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Please make comments on my tune. I am new to EFI Live.

It seems that my shift points are too low. I want to shift at 6200rpm at WOT.

Thanks

drdarthinvader
April 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
why does it idle so high?
if u got problems with idle stability go through the tutorials in forum. injector tuning and idle tuning has helped me a lot....

GAMEOVER
April 11th, 2009, 06:06 AM
After I downloaded and tried looking at your tune, I got an error message saying that the "ETC VALUES ARE INCORRECT AND SHOULD NOT BE FLASHED INTO A CONTROLLER"

joecar
April 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Hi T,

If you're going to run out to 6200 rpm you will need the 6400 row in VE B0101.

Your PE B3618 thru peak torque is very rich at 1.208EQ... is your VE corrected...?

Why don't you want TCC apply D1002, D1003 below 12.5% TP...?

What is the primary/secondary function of this car:
- strip/strip,
- strip/street,
- street/strip,
- street/street.

When you do AutoVE (OLSD) are you applying correction to the Backup VE, and then copying those changes to the Main VE you re-enable the MAF...?

Tuning will be easier if you replace your 1999 OS with the 12212156 2002 A4 Camaro/Firebird OS (must have the same transmission).

What modifications does your 1999 Firebird Formula have...?

How big is your cam...? You will need to do some idle tuning: showthread.php?t=4661 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4661)

tatasta
April 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hello again joecar!

Thanks for the reply.I will see what I can figure out then post up again.

t

tatasta
April 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Oh my God!! You never know how much you don't know, until you look!

Can you look at the attached tune versus the original I posted?

Is it noticeably better?

tatasta
April 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hopefully, my main mods will come up in my sig now.

My car is mainly a weekend street car but the plan is to get to a track 4-5 each year,

I did run my car a couple of days ago and I noticed that it had been running too rich. Any help on trying to fix that would be appreciated.

I am running the original transmission. How would I change the OS to the 2002 T/A A4? Why would that OS be better to use?

How would I go about "adding/using" the 6200 rpm cells on the VE table?

As far as the TCC settings at 12.5%, I was having trouble with the converter shuddering while of the gas and coasting. It was a tip from another user. It did help quite a bit. Are there better ways to keep the converter from locking/unlocking while coasting?

tatasta
April 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
why does it idle so high?
if u got problems with idle stability go through the tutorials in forum. injector tuning and idle tuning has helped me a lot....

Not sure what you are seeing. Idles at ~ 800-875 after it is up to operating temp. What do you see that is wrong?

After I downloaded and tried looking at your tune, I got an error message saying that the "ETC VALUES ARE INCORRECT AND SHOULD NOT BE FLASHED INTO A CONTROLLER"

I loaded this tune to my car tonight and did not get any messages nor have I seen any as I have opened it. I have not run the car since loading it so I won't until I hear more from people on here. I can revert it back to my original professional tune until I am sure that my next tune is safe. I have not modified much of the original, professional tune at all. I am wondering how good it was to begin with.

Thank you.

GAMEOVER
April 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, thats the message I got when I downloaded it and opened it up...Maybe it was nothing or something wrong on my side...:)

joecar
April 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I didn't see that message... do you all have build 83...?

joecar
April 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Open 2 instances of the tunetool: one on your tune file, the other on a 2002 Automatic Trans. Camaro/Firebird from www.holdencrazy.com (http://www.holdencrazy.com)...

then using copy-with-labels and paste-with-labels copy each and every table one-by-one... this is tedious (about 2 hours) but you only have to do it once...

You could look at the migration file at www.holdencrazy.com and if your old tune file is stock you could just use the migration file.

if you did it right, your 1999 Trans Am will start and run the same as the your old tune file.

tatasta
April 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Joecar,

I do have build 83. I noticed when I last put my wideband on (prior to setting up my PID) that at WOT, my N/A AFR was at 12.3:1.

I used to run at ~ 12.8:1 but when I got my car tuned after my wet kit install, he had it richened up. After jetting, bottle pressure work it would run 11.3 - 11.6:1 on the bottle.

Anyway, what will I need to do, exactly, to get my shift points up to 6200 rpm. Being a newb, I thought VSS, MPH shift points etc would be the way to get it done.

The cells on the TCC set to 256 was a tip given to me by another user to prevent stuttering while coasting (i.e.to a stop sign).

Obviously, my AFR and shift points are priority. Getting the proper setup on my window switch needs to happen soon. I need to get ready to take it to some races but now I'm SCARED AS HELL! :wallbash:

Overall, how bad is it???? I'm not sure if I'm happy to get EFI Live or not. I've been spraying the car for over a year this way!! Ignorance is bliss.... Til it scatters, I guess. :angel_innocent:

Any help is appreciated,

Robert

joecar
April 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Robert, post some logs.

Can you get some logs with the wideband...?

tatasta
April 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I will, but may not be able to today. I will get some in the next day or two.

Should I be planning on going to an SD tune? If so, I will focus my studying on it.

Thanks

tatasta
April 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hello,

I have attached a few log files that I got today.

I had made a few adjustments to my shift points (both speed and RPM), and they did not work.

Here are a few things that I noticed and would really like some advice and help to get the issues resolved.

1. Hits rev limiter before each shift. As mentioned, I adjusted the shift points but after a post by Joecar, I realize that I did not do near enough to make it work. Obviously, this a high priority some feel free to beat me up. I need it.

2. Just as important as #1, my WOT AFR still seems rich. All of the log files are N/A. No nitrous today!! Any thoughts or advice? (I know. Read read read)

3. TCC lockup still not right. Won't consistently lock up appropriately.

I will attach all of the log files and try to label them so you don't waste your time.

The current tune is attached as well.

Thank you all!!

limited cv8r
April 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
See if this helps your shift speeds/revs.

tatasta
April 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
limited,

Thanks! I will give it a try.

joecar
April 15th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Robert,

You're doing fine...

I take it you adjusted the VE table while in OLSD (no CL and no MAF (DTC was present))...?

Log SAE.MAP (kPa) instead of GM.MAP (V).

See at the bottom of the shift tables it displays the rpm for each gear for the cell the cursor is in... use that to help you see how high MPH can go before you need to shift.

You can lower the WOT MPH Downshift speeds a few mph... (I fee more comfortable with at least a 5 mph difference between upshift and downshift MPH values).

limited cv8r
April 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
If you compare the RPM/speed in his logs,then look at what the EFILive calculations are per gear there is about a 1000rpm discrepancy. so something is out of whack somewhere. I adjusted his WOT upshift speeds based on what was in his logs , not what the EFI numbers were.

Tune adjusted for downshift speeds as sugested by joe

joecar
April 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Hmmm... I'll take a closer look... thanks.

tatasta
April 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
joecar,

Actually, I have not adjusted the VE table at all. In fact, I have am having trouble following the tutorial. I understand the instructions but can't seem to get the correct values listed across the top of the columns.

First I get a box that says "List index out of bounds (-1)"
So I'm not sure that I had the correct PIDs enabled, primarily the Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure kpa. I suppose if that was not enabled on the logs I did setting up the VE table won't work until I log again.

Also, I would like to upgrade my OS to a 2001, as you suggested. Is there a tutorial for it?

Thanks to you and limited for the rev/shift help.

joecar
April 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Post your tune file.

To change to a 2002 OS (the 2002 12212156 OS would be a better choice compared to the 2001 12202088 since it gives you the option of going to COS5) do this:

- open 2 instances of TT, one on your current file, the other on a copy of 1221216 from a 2002 Auto Trans Camaro/Firebird (you have the 4L60E auto trans, right...?),
- click in upper left corner of a table in old, copy-with-labels from old, paste-with-labels to new, repeat for all tables/params.
- a small number of tables don't fit, you have to either transpose or crop them.

When done, close TT that has the old file, save the new file, and do a full flash... car should run as before.

joecar
April 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
There should already be a BEN map present in the maps folder.

Your wideband AFR seems to be close to the commanded AFR in the logs you posted.

tatasta
April 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hey joe,

Attached is my current tune (except for the VSS TCC adjustments you guys provided.

I was just going to ask you if the WB and Commanded AFR should match exactly or just close.

I see ~ 13.2 to 13.3:1 AFR at WOT. A bit too lean isn't it?

limited cv8r
April 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Did the changes get you any closer to your desired shift point?

joecar
April 16th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Hey joe,

Attached is my current tune (except for the VSS TCC adjustments you guys provided.

I was just going to ask you if the WB and Commanded AFR should match exactly or just close.

I see ~ 13.2 to 13.3:1 AFR at WOT. A bit too lean isn't it?If they match then the various tables correctly model your motor combination.

Something like 12.6 is safer around peak torque and leaning out to 13.2 is probably okay at peak power... but richer is generally safer.

tatasta
April 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Did the changes get you any closer to your desired shift point?

Well, I think you and joecar got me alot closer. Problem is that it has been snowing here for the last 2 days so all I can do is wait.:bad:

13.2:1 is a bit lean for me. I want to richen up but I want to first go to the 2002 OS. I am a bit nervous about it because I am afraid I may get in over my head while copying all the tables. I'm not even sure how many there are.:doh2:

Thanks Guys, stick with me! Trust me, I'm learning.......:bangin:

joecar
April 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Do this:
- open your current tune file, and then open your OEM stock tune file as the alternate tune, then generate a script (of the differences), save the script, close the tunetool.
- open a copy of the 2002 Auto Trans Camaro 12212156 file, and apply the script, save the new file.
- in the new file walk thru every table making sure it is correct and matching your old file.

tatasta
April 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Do this:
- open your current tune file, and then open your OEM stock tune file as the alternate tune, then generate a script (of the differences), save the script, close the tunetool.
- open a copy of the 2002 Auto Trans Camaro 12212156 file, and apply the script, save the new file.
- in the new file walk thru every table making sure it is correct and matching your old file.

Joe,

Well, I got the 2002 OS loaded up and ran a script on it 4 times trying a few different things each time. I can get the script to do most of the engine changes but it will not make the changes to my trans through the script. In fact, the changes to VSS and RPM shift points won't show up on the actual script.

Any thoughts??

joecar
April 17th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Hmmm...

There's not that many trans tables... copy them manually (copy-with-labels, paste-with-labels).

Make sure you open old and new tune files side-by-side and eyeball all tables making sure they are the same.

When you're satisfied they are the same, do a full flash, then read the tune back and save to a new file...

car should then start and run on the tune the same as it did on the old tune.

tatasta
April 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hello,

I am nearly complete with transferring all of my modified files from my current 1999 OS to the new 2002 OS.

There are several areas where one OS or the other has more or less parameters, charts, tables etc.

What should I do if one OS has a table or chart that the other does not? How will it affect the performance?
Can certain things be removed to make them match?

What is the best way to manage this?

Current OS - 09381344

Upgrading to 2002 OS - 12212156

Examples include differences in:

B5956
B5919
B5911
B5907

Thank you

joecar
April 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM
If a table is transposed, do this:

- in old file do copy-with-labels,

- in new file:
- go View->Show Calibration Window->Conversions,
- click Create New Table,
- click Transpose,
- rightclick in upper left corner of table and do copy-with-labels,
- then paste-with-labels into the table where this goes.

If the new file doesn't have a table (that the old file does) then that is ok.
If the new file has a new table (that the old file doesn't) then just use the new table's values.

tatasta
April 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
If a table is transposed, do this:

- in old file do copy-with-labels,

- in new file:
- go View->Show Calibration Window->Conversions,
- click Create New Table,
- click Transpose,
- rightclick in upper left corner of table and do copy-with-labels,
- then paste-with-labels into the table where this goes.

If the new file doesn't have a table (that the old file does) then that is ok.
If the new file has a new table (that the old file doesn't) then just use the new table's values.

Hey Joe,

Well, got the transposed thing figured out. Now for the next road block.

The B5911 Spark IAT table is kicking my a@@ now.

In the 1999 OS the rows are listed as vales in IAT *C {link SAE IAT} and columns are shown as kPa {link SAE.KPA}

In the 2002 OS the rows are also listed as vales in IAT *C {link SAE IAT} but the columns are shown as Grams/Cylinder {link GM.DYNYLAIR_DMA}

I have searched and read a bunch and just can't get this sorted out.

Any insight??

Also, any ideas why the tuning tool will "lock up" if you move its window around the screen much. The "Unregistered Version" window or the configuration window will pop up and either lock the program or it won't let me close the window(s) that popped up.

Thank you

joecar
April 20th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Use the 2002 table.

joecar
April 20th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Hmmm...
- have you entered your license info from the exactly blue card...?
- what do you do to make it lock up...?
- do you have a screenshot of when it locks up...?
- is this with build version 83 or 84...?