PDA

View Full Version : getting started ( a question)

A.O.A
April 11th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Dear EFI LIVE (Road Runner)
this is my first time HERE and I am really LOST,,,,
I had a Training on AUTOTRONIC and MOTECH, and what Ive understood by using EFI LIVE that I don;t need to install a new ECU. my problem is that Ive downloaded the demo software and going to purchase it ,, but what I don;t know is shall I just buy an OBD 2 cable and a 9-pin to USB converter and plug it in my LAP top and start tuning?? or mapping the FUEL and TIMING MAP??
and I own a garage with a dyno and want to start tuning for OEM ECU customer's cars which tool shall I use only the software??...i am really lost in here, I hope that I am asking my question in the correct place otherwise please redirect me thanks a lot..:fluffy:

ScarabEpic22
April 11th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Welcome to the site man!

When you purchase EFILive you are purchasing the hardware and software needed to tune your cars. No generic cable will work with it, you need the FlashScan V1 or V2 hardware to make it work. You cannot plug a USB cable to OBDII directly into your computer, you'll have major problems. You do not swap PCM/ECM/TCMs, just read the stock OEM file and make adjustments to that and reflash it back in.

A.O.A
April 11th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks a lot Man!!
sorry to ask one more question!!
what about the license ?? the V2 works on all cars so I just have to buy a workshop license or shall I buy a workshop license for each type of car!??!
thanks a lot

joecar
April 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Welcome A.O.A... :)

To connect to the supported vehicles you will need the EFILive FlashScan hardware/cable (FlashScan V1 or V2 depending on what vehicles you want to read/write), see this for what vehicles are supported:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82

The software is free (the demo you have is the actual software ).

If you're going to tune just a few cars, the buy the FlashScan V2 Scan&Tune; this comes with 2 ECM/TCM licenses and you can buy more licenses as you need:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

You can upgrade to the workshop stream licenses later as your volume increases:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=86

The RoadRunner is the PCM replacement that allows [B]realtime tuning while the engine is running... this involves removing the original PCM and replacing with the RoadRunner PCM, and using the RR interface in the EFILive software tunetool (you have to be careful of the change you make because it takes effect immediately).

You have a dyno, and I assume you have one or more wideband O2/AFR sensors... as you may already known you will need these for performing tuning.

A.O.A
April 11th, 2009, 07:21 AM
thanks joecar,
well Real time Tuning is what I am looking for, due to my work with Motech and Autotronic I found out that lets say as an example on the (but not with Mitsubishi and Subaru) BMW most of the car functions such as ( Air condition, car electronics...) doesn't work when you install the NEW ECU (as it is a PLUG AND PLAY ECU) u would use it for the race and replug the OEM ECU, u know u want to upgrade the ECU for a daily use.. so does the Roadrunner act like them or!??!
thanks a lot for your great answers

joecar
April 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The RoadRunner PCM is the same PCM as the original PCM in the vehicle, but the flash memory chip has been replaced with a "module" that allows direct communication between the RR PCM and the EFILive tunetool software (via USB cable or Bluetooth interface)...

So all the vehicle functions will still operate as normal.

The RR PCM is a modified stock PCM.

A.O.A
April 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Awesome!!!
where can I find it??
thanks for your quick responses

joecar
April 11th, 2009, 07:51 AM
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?products_id=105

hquick
April 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Just to save any confusion...
General procedure would be to install the RR in a car...do all of your tuning in real time.
Once you have the tune where you want it, save the file to your laptop/PC, install the original PCM back into the vehicle and flash the modified tune into the original PCM. Repeat the procedure for as many vehicles as the RR will support.
You will need a licence for each PCM you flash a tune into (each customers vehicle).
Smartest way to go for a workshop would be to buy the 'Tunercats' + Roadrunner package (this is the ONLY way you can buy Tunercats now) and then buy EFILive as well.
Tunercats supports some of the older trucks 96/97 as well as the newer vehicles but has no scanning/logging function....BUT EFILive is by far the best tuning package available.