PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to Tune a gas engine please!

LBZoom
April 11th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hey guys,
I'm a diesel owner myself and my buddy has a 5.3 silverado (99 model) and we've been tuning on it some...basically gas engines seem slightly complicated to me. We've done some basics, increased timing and VE values. How do I know when the VE values are too high? If I'm getting 2-3 degrees of knock, do I HAVE to reduce timing to correct it, or are there other options like adding a little more fuel or changing some VE values? I have no idea what tables are "linked" together and such. If you guys can give me some general tips and pointers i'd really appreciate it. Also links to tutorials about these topics, injector tuning, VE tables, timing etc. Thanks for the help guys.

His truck has an intake but otherwise stock, I don't have a wideband either...
:cheers:

LBZoom
April 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Ttt

joecar
April 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Start off by reading the AutoVE tutorial and these links:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7867

As you read, follow along in a suitable tune file.

Understand the importance of AFR/timing.

LBZoom
April 14th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Where can I purchase a wideband sensor and how much are they?

joecar
April 14th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Any of the EFILive resellers/sponsors sell them... they start as cheap as $200 for the LC-1 and go up from there (more features).

GMPX
April 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Just keep in mind that you can easily hurt your gas motor with bad tuning, too little fuel or too much timing will break parts. 3 degrees of knock is not great.

For full power tuning, you do need to get a Wide Band O2 as suggested above.
When at full throttle you want to aim for somewhere between 12.5:1 - 13.0:1 AFR (open to debate!). GM's tuning on trucks can be a little odd, some won't go in to power enrichment fuelling for a long time, fixing that alone can reap benefits.

A few hours using Google and searching forums will find you some good info. There is also some books around on tuning gas motors that you could pickup from Amazon.
Also checkout this website - http://www.efi101.com/

Cheers,
Ross

hquick
April 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Open your tune in one window....open this forum in a window next to it and go through the forum post by post referring to your own tune...checking out and familiarizing yourself with the various tables discussed and the problems/successes others are having.
I don't think there's a thread here I haven't read atleast a couple of times.
Then...ask specific questions about anything you're not sure about.

joecar
April 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Books from Amazon:
Greg Banish
Ben Strader
Jeff Hartman