PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for tuning a 98 turbo?

zapp168
April 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Please don't say upgrade to 99+...LOL
I just got a 98 camaro SS convertable, I have my old STS system sitting in a box in the corner, It is calling me....LOL. I swapped my 98 WS6 to a 99+ so I could do it, but do I have any options with the 98 PCM if I don't get too crazy with the boost?
Thanks

odd boy
May 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
what boost r looking for?

U can't download an OS on 98, so u might stick to 1 bar max. As usual, every 7 psi require (-)2 deg. Pull 4 deg at where the turbo start charging. After that make your AFR 11.5 ~ 11.7. and then start adding degs wherever needed.

I prefer tuning it on dyno, always, at the begining make it as rich as possible .

zapp168
May 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
what boost r looking for?

U can't download an OS on 98, so u might stick to 1 bar max. As usual, every 7 psi require (-)2 deg. Pull 4 deg at where the turbo start charging. After that make your AFR 11.5 ~ 11.7. and then start adding degs wherever needed.

I prefer tuning it on dyno, always, at the begining make it as rich as possible .

Ya I tried that tune on my other car, it was so horrible with any boost level I swapped it to an 02 PCM(and then a 416 SC). The car would start to spool and drop into a "hole" of fuel (I started with a professional dyno tune, then I tweeked it, better but it still was never good). I was going to try and re-scale the MAP and run 2-bar cutting the resolution in half and see what happens. I am going to add a rising rate regulator to try and help the issue, but I am strongly considering a tune by HPtuner as it has a 98 2 bar setup. I am only looking for 10 PSI MAX.

odd boy
May 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
post your tune, pls