PDA

View Full Version : OS "swap"

nonnieselman
April 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
what would be the issue if i wanted to swap in a older OS so i can use a COS?
Right now im workin with 12619624 in a 07 Classic Silverado, we are goin Turbocharged soon and wondering if its possible to go to a older OS so we can use a COS.

What would be the hold up?

ScarabEpic22
April 13th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Dont think so man, 07 Silvy's going to be using a 1mb LS1 PCM and cant run a COS on a 1mb LS1 PCM...Im not the guy to talk to about how to make this work, it probably can be done though!

joecar
April 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM
The COS tutorial shows the OS's that have a COS... if your current OS is not in that list then you won't be able to.

lownslo
April 14th, 2009, 02:47 AM
That is what we figured. Is the only way to get a COS for me, to swap for a different pcm?

joecar
April 14th, 2009, 02:54 AM
If you can swap to the 0411 PCM, then you can run COS5...

However, you have to be sure that the 0411 can operate all of your engine hardware.

lownslo
April 14th, 2009, 02:59 AM
we have disabled the e85 due to no sensor on the new motor! its a 04 lq4 6.0. How would we decide what it will take to run the functions necessary for the motor to perform? Is there a way to compare or are there too many factors in the "background" to make it work?
Sorry for my newb terminology.
thanks
Chris

joecar
April 14th, 2009, 04:43 AM
For example (please correct me on the points where I'm wrong), 0411 works with:
- 24x crank position reluctor (not 58x),
- 1x cam position sensor,
- 8 coils (coil/distributor can be driven ok),
- 8 injectors (not TBI),
- can it communicate with your IPC...?
- I don't know about flex fuel sensor,
- other considerations (fuel segment swap).

You would need to change/rewire/repin the PCM connectors to match the 0411 PCM.

If your LQ4 has the 24x crank reluctor, then it should be able to run on the 0411 PCM... and if not, there is a 58->24 converter available from some place.

You would need to start from a file that had the same throttle as your LQ4 (ETC vs cable throttle), and the same transmission (4L60E vs 4L80E... altho the trans segment can be swapped individually).

Typically you would get your current parameters/tables copied to a 12212156 file (2002 F-car, Y-car, Express Van), and get your motor/transmission running on that first... then if everything is good, you easily jump to COS5.

Edit: see correction (thanks hquick).

nonnieselman
April 14th, 2009, 07:53 AM
so it seems it would be more simple to just go buy a truck that has the right OS? :(

joecar
April 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM
It's doable, it just takes effort and looking at the big picture (how will IPC and other systems be affected).

For example:
- on a 1999 F-car, it's dead easy.
- on a 1998 F-car, it involves swapping the PCM, repinning the connectors, changing fuel level table.

You would have to look at all your wire diagrams and what "hardware" your LQ4 has (of which I am not familiar).

Edit: see correction (thanks ChipsByAl).

hquick
April 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
For example (please correct me on the points where I'm wrong), 0411 works with:
- 24x crank position reluctor (not 58x),
- 1x cam position sensor,
- 8 coils (not coil/distributor),
- 8 injectors (not TBI),
- can it communicate with your IPC...?
- I don't know about flex fuel sensor,
- other considerations (fuel segment swap).

You would need to change/rewire/repin the PCM connectors to match the 0411 PCM.

If your LQ4 has the 24x crank reluctor, then it should be able to run on the 0411 PCM... and if not, there is a 58->24 converter available from some place.

You would need to start from a file that had the same throttle as your LQ4 (ETC vs cable throttle), and the same transmission (4L60E vs 4L80E... altho the trans segment can be swapped individually).

Typically you would get your current parameters/tables copied to a 12212156 file (2002 F-car, Y-car, various Vans), and get your motor/transmission running on that first... then if everything is good, you easily jump to COS5.

Works with the express van tune, L31's which run one coil Joe.

ChipsByAl
April 14th, 2009, 11:52 AM
One more correction,
For example:
- on a 1999 F-car, it's dead easy.
- on a 1998 F-car, it involves swapping the PCM, repinning the connectors, swapping fuel level sender.

The fuel level tables need to be corrected, no parts are required.
Al

joecar
April 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Al, Howard, thanks for the corrections, keep 'em coming... :cheers: