PDA

View Full Version : High speed onboard datalogging

limited cv8r
April 16th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Moates has released a new product called the "Quarterhorse". This product basically offers real time tuning for ford EEC-IV/V PCM's.It also states that it is able to "log ANY parameter in RAM from the EEC-IV and V at sample rates well over 2,000 frames per second through the same mini USB cable (no OBD cable needed).

The Road Runner has been around for some time now,and if my memory serves me correctly I believe that the ability to high speed datalog directly from the RR was an option that was eventually going to be implemented.

Who would like to see this option eventuate if it is at all possible.

mr.prick
April 16th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I thought that it's not possible to connect a laptop/PC to a PCM,
isn't this the whole point of flashscan?

It would be nice but you should talk to Moates,
bypassing may not go over well here.

limited cv8r
April 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Bypassing what??? This information was originally posted on either EFILive's or Moates site.

You are in the RR forum, so you must already know that you can connect to the PCM without the OBD cable.

mr.prick
April 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I meant for data logging.
A stock PCM is not supposed to be connected to a PC, I went off track there. :doh2:

And by bypassing I meant cutting out flashscan from the mix,
Is that what you meant?

GMPX
April 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Moates has released a new product called the "Quarterhorse". This product basically offers real time tuning for ford EEC-IV/V PCM's.It also states that it is able to "log ANY parameter in RAM from the EEC-IV and V at sample rates well over 2,000 frames per second through the same mini USB cable (no OBD cable needed).

The Road Runner has been around for some time now,and if my memory serves me correctly I believe that the ability to high speed datalog directly from the RR was an option that was eventually going to be implemented.

Who would like to see this option eventuate if it is at all possible.Yes we wanted to do something similar with RR, but I don't think Craig ever got it figured out on the LS1 PCM.
I don't know much about the EEC computers, but I think the issue with the LS1 PCM was getting access to the CPU's internal RAM, the EEC PCM's might use external RAM which would make life easier to monitor what is going on.

Cheers,
Ross

Mayhem
January 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Hi Guy's, I'm realy new at this so forgive me if this is a stupid question! Can I connect my RR to a laptop and connect my scan tool to the same laptop at the same time to monitor or log while tuning live? or should I run a seperate lap top for scaning?

Dennis

N0DIH
January 10th, 2012, 01:22 AM
You can use the same, but note the RR is quite busy and it helps to have the RR and Datalogger on separate USB channels. I tried on my Dell M65 laptop (high end) and it couldn't handle it, but when I switched to the rear USB and side USB it did fine.

Hi Guy's, I'm realy new at this so forgive me if this is a stupid question! Can I connect my RR to a laptop and connect my scan tool to the same laptop at the same time to monitor or log while tuning live? or should I run a seperate lap top for scaning?

Dennis

Mayhem
January 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the reply NODIH. Another question, how do I get a 512kb program onto my 1012kb RR? Is this possible?

Dennis

N0DIH
January 11th, 2012, 04:42 AM
There is no 512k or 1MB RR, they are all the same, flash it like you would any other. Whatever space is left is automagically filled with FF's.

Mayhem
January 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks NODIH, I did try to download a 512kb program a while ago and was not successful, I will try again maybe I did something wrong.
Thanks
Dennis

N0DIH
January 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Using EFILive or Tunercat or using Moates EmUtility?

What did it do? I'll have to drag mine out and try it. I have done numerous times with Tunercat, but new to RR stream with EFILive.

Mayhem
January 11th, 2012, 07:36 PM
It was a while ago but if memory serves me correct EFILive program was not compatable with this PCM, I think!!!
I will try again tonight and see what it dose.

N0DIH
January 12th, 2012, 03:47 AM
The RR has no clue what PCM it is on, it is more or less a flash memory emulator (not really, but essentially is). I don't know what hooks are in EFIL to allow what programs to go into the RR. Tunercat and EmUtility, don't care and will flash in whatever fits (1MB).

It was a while ago but if memory serves me correct EFILive program was not compatable with this PCM, I think!!!

ScarabEpic22
January 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Oh I assure you it is, there are a lot of guys running RRs on 512kb/1MB LS1B PCMs.

I thought I remembered hearing there is an extra key you need to press before clicking the full flash button in the RR control panel. Try opening the RR control panel, then holding down the shift or ctrl key before you click the full flash icon. I dont have a RR, so Im speculating here, if it doesnt work then have to ask someone else who knows.

N0DIH
January 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Yup, there is, forgot, read the RR Tutorial, it is there. Basically you have to bypass an error, like hitting the CTRL key or something when you flash it.

Mayhem
January 13th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I have managed to load a 512kb program into a 1024kb RR by holding Ctrl & Shift down when asking it to load, all is well now

N0DIH
January 13th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Cool!

Highlander
January 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM
There are no 1mb RRs anymore...

N0DIH
January 19th, 2012, 07:34 AM
As in they aren't making them anymore?

The RR doesn't have a size per se. It emulates the 28F200, 28F400 and 28F800 memories. But isn't technically an emulator.

There are no 1mb RRs anymore...

Highlander
September 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Craig sent me a message that there were many errors with the 1mb pcm for some reason and that it was a hit and miss..

It would be a dream come true if we could get more than 10f/s out of the ls1 pcm when scanning.