PDA

View Full Version : V1 Licensing Question

tatasta
April 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Hello,

I have searched for my specific question but could not find the info.

I bought my V1 setup with two licenses. Recently I have been working on upgrading my 99 Trans Am's OS to the 2002's 12212156 OS (I think that is it). Anyway, my Flash Scan now shows both licenses used and none available.

Is that common when upgrading an OS? If so, can I go back to my 99 OS and keep the other license? I will need it later this year for my other car.

Newb question, I know, but that does not seem correct given it is only one PCM/VIN.

Thank you in advance.

joecar
April 17th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hi Robert,

If you flashed the new OS into the same PCM (that previously contained your old OS), then FlashScan should have used the old (already-attached) license...

The license is per PCM (a license attaches itself to the PCM serial number).

If you are using an older version of the EFILive scantool/tunetool software, there was a bug where the PCM serial number was going to zero and a new license was used up when flashing.

I notified Tech Support.

Joe

joecar
April 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
From the tunetool, display the V1 license window, and take a screenshot of it, and post here.

tatasta
April 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Joe,

I have not done the full re-flash yet. After I do, I will see what happened and post the results.

Thanks,

Bob

joecar
April 19th, 2009, 05:27 AM
You may have to update the software to build 84.

tatasta
April 19th, 2009, 06:35 AM
You may have to update the software to build 84.

Where would I look to see what build I am using?

I have used the tool to check for updates and shows none are available.

Thanks

tatasta
May 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Joe,

Sorry it took so long. Like I said before, I never did make the change to the 2002 OS. I just copied my tune to it. I am still running my stock 99 OS and may not go to the 2002 for a while. Anyway, it took my other license somewhere along the line.

Thank you.

joecar
May 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Where would I look to see what build I am using?

I have used the tool to check for updates and shows none are available.

ThanksFrom the scantool or tunetool, go Help->About to see the build version.

You should be at build 84.

joecar
May 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Bob,

Did Tech Support get back to you regarding the license that got eaten...?

Blacky
May 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joe,

Sorry it took so long. Like I said before, I never did make the change to the 2002 OS. I just copied my tune to it. I am still running my stock 99 OS and may not go to the 2002 for a while. Anyway, it took my other license somewhere along the line.

Thank you.

When you select the Tuning Tool menu option: Flash->Show PCM Info...
what gets displayed for the PCM serial number? Does it match either of the two used licenses in your V2 cable?

Regards
Paul

tatasta
May 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
I will have to check in the morning when I can get to the car. With the V1 just plugged into my computer, I just get the error that it is not connected (which I assume is normal).

Prior to working on the 2002 OS setup, it always displayed my correct VIN on one license and the other was available.

I will get back to you when I plug into PCM.

Thanks

tatasta
May 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Got some screenshots of pcm info today when I was hooked up.

Still not sure how I lost my second license but here is the info.

Thank you

Blacky
May 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Can you show a screen shot of PCM info screen like the image attached.

Regards
Paul

tatasta
May 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I will get a screen shot of that in the morning and get it posted. I was wondering if I was getting the correct info.

Thanks,
Robert

tatasta
May 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Ok, hopefully this is the info that you have been trying to get out of me. lol I'm a bit slow at times.

License #2, obviously, is locked to my pcm. License #1 is the problem. I loaded a tune, from the EFI Live repository on LS1Tech about the time I noticed my open license went away. Not sure how that would happen, though.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Blacky
May 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I can't explain why there are two used licenses on that cable. I'll send you a replacement license asap.

I noticed that your V1 is a Personal Scan and Tune. That can't be used to upgrade the OS in a PCM. To upgrade you need to do a full flash and only the Commercial version can do a full flash. So if you are planning on doing an OS upgrade you'd need to upgrade your V1 to a Commercial. (It's only $50, here: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_EFILive.tpl&product_id=54&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Robert, did you get the Commercial upgrade ok...?

tatasta
May 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Joe,

Just about to buy it today. I did, however, get a new license to replace the one that I lost. Not real sure how it happened but the people at EFI Live helped me out. Support here is awesome.

I am baffled by one tuning question though. I will post it in my most recent thread if you would look at it.

Thanks to all for the help with my license.