PDA

View Full Version : 96 to 01 '0411 conversion; S10 4.3 newb ?

overS10ded
April 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I have a '0411 from a 2001 S10 4.3 Blazer and am replacing my '96 "black box" on my '96 4.3 from a S10 Blazer. The engine is in a '91 S10 Blazer 4X4(manual transfercase, not electric/computer) with a 700R4 trans. I have used "LEXTECH"'s (thanks again, Jeff) pinout conversions to prepare for the swap and am not using any trans input to the computer being that it is a 700R4 trans. My questions are do I need to use a different OS or is the 4.3 OS in the '0411 going to work with my 4.3 for now? And on the VIN, can I use my '91 VIN, or do I need to use the '96 engine VIN??? Not sure on these issues. Thanks in advance.

I have just acquired the V1 a little while back and am anxious to get tuning, to install a marine manifold I've peiced together, then a Procharger P1S/C I have laying around.
Thanks,
Bruce

scuzz
April 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
You can get trans shift kit from B&M and others. Check Summitracing.com.
You should be able to use the 03 4.3 flash after disabiling trans stuff.

overS10ded
April 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
The trans is good, just mentioning it to see if it really matters in the '0411 swap. I guess it wouldn't as it didn't hinder me in the obdI to obdII leap swapping the '91 engine to '96. I changed the trans with "brand X" software to manual in the '96 PCM. My main question is with the VIN. I believe the engine will run with the existing OS in the '0411 since it is out of a 4.3 Blazer. I guess I'll just wire up the '0411 and it should fire being everything is 4.3, right!? I'd like using my VIN from the '91 vehicle with the '0411. I make things more difficult then they are....the VIN thing is throwing me off. I don't have to verify/designate VIN until I plug EFILive in, correct? Thanks for your response.
Bruce

Lextech
April 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hey Bruce,
Your VIN should go in just fine. The 01 Operating System should also work fine. Does your 700R4 have a 40 tooth reluctor wheel for the speed input to the PCM? What I'm wondering is if the PCM uses the 40 pulse input for any fueling/timing parameters?

Jeff

Stealth97
April 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
my girlfriend has a ZQ8 2003 S10 with the 4.3, auto and full everything. If I can hook up EFILive to it, I'll post the tune. Should work and if you need any wiring help, let me know, I might be able to check under the hood. She is pretty protective of it, only has 39k on it.

overS10ded
April 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hey Jeff!
I don't know about the reluctor wheel. I know the '96 PCM didn't have any problems with the trans and evidently was ok with the VSS signals. I think it should work the same in the '0411 as the '96 as far as that goes. I will go ahead and swap it out tomorrow and see what happens! I will let you know first thing concerning the wiring file.

Thanks for your help.
Bruce

overS10ded
April 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
my girlfriend has a ZQ8 2003 S10 with the 4.3, auto and full everything. If I can hook up EFILive to it, I'll post the tune. Should work and if you need any wiring help, let me know, I might be able to check under the hood. She is pretty protective of it, only has 39k on it.

Thanks Stealth'. I think the 2001 S10 computer should be pretty similar to the '03 as far as tune but I appreciate the offer. If your girlfriend lets you pull the tune, I'll compare it. Not many miles on her '03!

Big Mike
April 18th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks Stealth'. I think the 2001 S10 computer should be pretty similar to the '03 as far as tune but I appreciate the offer.I have two stock tunes from two different '01 model year S-10's. Also have one for an '05 S-10 too. If you want any of them feel free to let me know and I'll email them out to you asap. :cheers:

overS10ded
April 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I have two stock tunes from two different '01 model year S-10's. Also have one for an '05 S-10 too. If you want any of them feel free to let me know and I'll email them out to you asap. :cheers:

Are the tunes different? I figured that the '01 0411 computer I have from a 4.3 S10 Blazer should work OK for me and be my foundation to work (tune) from. I'm planning on using EFILive's custom OS features as I get acquainted with the software. I had been using JET DST for the '96 computer but didn't have a scanner, so this is the reason for going '0411 to open up so much more scanning, logging, and tuning capabilities/opportunities which the old '96 computer didn't have the support, and EFILive is so much more impressive to me as well. These guys are GREAT! Same with this forum and you ALL.
Thanks!

Bruce

brucebaird@cablemt.net

Big Mike
April 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I haven't scrutinized each one enough to see how much difference there are between them all but the OS's are all different. I'll send them along so you can compare them with what you currently have.

Mike

Lextech
April 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
If your VSS worked on the Black Box PCM then you should be good to go. Us V-8 guys use the 01-02 Operating systems. I know they have Custom Operating systems for those years---I would probably try to use one of those years.

Hey Stealth---Whats Up

Jeff

overS10ded
June 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I've been driving on the '0411 for a while and it is much smoother start and idle. The start-up idles down much, much faster then the old black box that seemed like there was a vaccum leak the way the idle "searched" down slowly, but the '0411 snaps quickly, very responsive.

I do have the P0327 KS code that is keeping the revvs from producing good power, holding the timing back. I would appreciate any help concerning this issue. Thanks much.

Good times!!
Bruce

chevy052500hd
July 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
You need to change your knock sensor to one outta a 2001 and up 4.3l.

overS10ded
July 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
You need to change your knock sensor to one outta a 2001 and up 4.3l.

Thanks a million!!! I am swapping to the marine manifold and will replace the knock sensor then. I appreciate your help!

Good times!!

Bruce

chevy052500hd
July 9th, 2009, 04:25 AM
the one outta a 2001 is a 2 wire design and has a bolt that goes throught the middle of it I just got a 1/4 npt pipe plug and drilled and tapped it to accept a 1/4 20 to hold the new sensor down. Once you get to the sensor you will know what I am talking about. In efilive you can change what type of sensor it is but I think the values for the 327 trouble code are not available for use to modify via efilive, because even after I changed all the values I would still get that code, thats when I just swapped sensors.

overS10ded
July 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
the one outta a 2001 is a 2 wire design and has a bolt that goes throught the middle of it I just got a 1/4 npt pipe plug and drilled and tapped it to accept a 1/4 20 to hold the new sensor down. Once you get to the sensor you will know what I am talking about. In efilive you can change what type of sensor it is but I think the values for the 327 trouble code are not available for use to modify via efilive, because even after I changed all the values I would still get that code, thats when I just swapped sensors.

Double that million I thanked you with before!! I really appreciate your information, this helps me alot. Saves me a lot of time too! Hope I can return the favor.

Good times!!

Bruce

overS10ded
November 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM

What pins (pinouts) did you use on the '0411 for this KS? Thanks for your help!!

Good times!

Bruce

chevy052500hd
November 14th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I seem to remember 11 and 51 on the blue pcm connector, but let me confirm this once I get back to the truck

overS10ded
November 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
OK! I appreciate that info and will welcome your confirmation. Thanks again!

Good times!

Bruce

chevy052500hd
November 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Okay I got it,

PCM
Pin 9 is KS signal dark blue
Pin 49 is KS 5V Reference

On KS Connector
Pin A is KS Signal dark blue
Pin B is KS 5V Ref.

Hope this helps

overS10ded
November 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM
This worked alright!!! I was pressed for time and just managed to get the "flat response" change on the tune once I added the sensor and wired it up. I mounted it on the front of the block on a nice flat spot and just left the resonant sensor where it was and will deal with that when I swap the manifold with the marine manifold I have. I drove 850 miles day before yesterday and the mileage went from 20 to 23 without any other changes so I believe, without scanning yet, that this did the trick as far as my KS DTC is concerned and now I can start tuning/scanning!!

Thanks so very much for your time and help!

Good times!

Bruce

chevy052500hd
November 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM
No prob, :welcome: