PDA

View Full Version : Take a look, please.. AFR, TCC, Spark

tatasta
April 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hello,

I have attached my current tune and some logs from today.

There are a few questions that I hope I can get some insight on. I had some help on my shift points from joecar and limited. Definitely better after their help.

First, I am around 12.6 to 12.8:1 at WOT. I richened it up from ~13.2:1. It def felt like it pulled harder today. Any thoughts on the AFR?

On TCC, why would 4th gear lock up well at 30-40 mph then not lock up, or seldom at a VSS of 70-80? Does the apply speed need to be changed or is it more of an issue of speed vs throttle position?

Last, any thoughts on my overall spark setup? (I'm still a newb but I'm learnin'!)

I have a 2002 OS ready to go. All parameters are the same as the tune I attached. Is there much value in using that? How about value in going to an SD tune?

Thank you in advance for any help/comments. I love learning this stuff. :rockon:

tatasta
April 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM
ttt.... No replies? Did I make everyone mad? Or were my questions too basic or too vague?

joecar
April 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Bob,

What happened after each run, did you shutdown, is that why traces drop down...?

Actual AFR 12.6-12.8 is safe range... tune it (in PE table) to get best 1/4 ET.

The wot log shows you running a CLMAF tune, so at wot, your PCM is running from:
- MAF: your actual afr is ~0.5-0.6 richer than commanded (either MAF is low, or IFR is high);
- OL: commanded afr is coming from PE (richer of PE [triggered] and CFOL);
- non-wot LTFT's were negative, so wot LTFT's go to zero (no contribution).

What injectors are you using and do the injector tables match (and have you compared the IFR table to the IFR spreadsheet)...?

Hmmm... 29.5°/30° (I can't see where the 0.5° is disappearing to/from) seems a little high (increases combustion chamber temp, increases ability to knock)... if you can get the same ET with 28° then do that... you're not getting much knock with 30° so I assume you're running 100 so it may be ok (this is your 1/4 strip car, right...?).

At some point when you do AutoVE, and then keep it in OLSD (toss the MAF and NBO2s), you will find that actual afr matching commanded afr will simplify your tuning task down to playing with (dialing in) the commanded AFR (in PE and CFOL)... i.e. tuning for best ET and/or TS.

With the 2002 OS your car (motor/trans/speedo/fans...) should all work the same... car should run as good as the 1999 OS... be sure to do a full flash and then read it back from the PCM and save to a new filename... also in scantool go into DVT and make sure you can correctly exercise all the solenoids/relays.

Also make sure trans is being commanded correctly and not slipping (I like bumping up the low/middle parts of the shift pressure tables in addition to the high parts, so it makes a steady slope from zero at 0 ftlb to 96 psi at 295 ftlb).

Post your 2002 file... the 12212156 OS is beautiful because it allows a very easy jump into COS5.

I'm not sure why your TCC is doing what you said... just make sure the apply curve is above the release curve... remind me again why you don't want TCC below 12.5% TPS (has to with your stall's TCC slipping)...? We'll have to view more logs.

tatasta
April 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks Joe,

The traces dropped off because I would stop, run WOT through 2nd and after the shift into third I would let off because of the road I was on. It was a remote area with a 75mph limit. Safe as possible.... No strip within 120 miles. :angel_innocent:

I will searh for info on how to dial in the actual vs commanded AFR.

I am still running the stock injectors. No, I have not compared the IFR tables to the spreadsheet.

I have never noticed much knock. In fact on the WOT log I noticed it once which was the first time I have ever seen it. But before EFI Live, I used a Predator so I would have been lucky to notice it. i will follow your thoughts and drop the timing a bit.

What exactly does "you're not getting much knock with 30° so I assume you're running 100 so it may be ok" mean, specifically the "100" reference?

Basically, this car is targeted to be a relatively quick street car that is driven on weekends so drivability is important but by no means needs to "appear" stock. I am really just attempting to get a clean tune that will work well with a 100-150 wet shot. I have ran a 100 hp shot on it for the last year with no apparent problems using a tune from Rick at STS Turbo in Utah. He is a Diablo CMR dealer so I would complete feedback sheets based on info from real time data from my Predator and my wideband. E-mail the feedback and get an e-mail tune back in a day or two. It worked well but the primary reason to get EFI Live was to dial in my TCC issues, which were tough to deal with through e-mails. But now, the more I learn, the more I learn that I know nothing. Like creating maps. I still stuggle with creating them and knowing what to do with te data.

I mainly want to be sure my tune is safe for now. I know it's not near optimal but if i can drive it as I learn, I am fine.

Sorry. Long winded post.

Thanks

joecar
April 25th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Bob,

Oh, by 100 I meant unleaded 100 or some octane booster... your log shows just a little knock... pay attention if you can hear it knock (may be difficult with loud exhaust).

Your afr is safe.

If you're doing nitrous then COS5 is helpful... monitor afr, sparkadv, kr, ibpw to make sure you're not leaning nor knocking during spray.

You would want to do this:
- compare your IFR to what the spreadsheet calculates as a sanity check;
- do AutoVE to "correct" the VE table;
- if you're still going to run MAF, also do AutoMAF to "correct" the MAF table;

doing those steps will get your actual afr closely tracking the commanded afr... which means the afr you dial is the afr you will see...

for example attached is one of my COS5 logs (stock 2001 WS6, LT's, lid), running OLSD (red circled=B3647, green circled=B3618).

As for the TCC issue(s), we'll have to look deeper at the TCC tables, maybe get some more logs.

No, no problem, post is not long winded... it is divided into logical paragraphs and uses punctuation, easier to read.

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

tatasta
April 26th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Thanks Joe,

I will work on it. Yes, I do run premium fuel (91 octane) plus some NX additive to help while spraying.

I'll write again when I come up with something specific and more logs.

As always, thank you,

Bob