PDA

View Full Version : Traction control error on 1999 C5

louis
April 25th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I am having an issue with my traction control and pulls this code after 15 in of driving. C1281 Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction.

I cannot tune this car either because it corrupts the tune and starts over correcting with timing following the blips when the throttle position starts zig zagging up and down

I have researched it and found it is related to the traction control. It doesn't matter if it is on or off it will pull this error then start taking my tps with it giving me more error codes if I let it go to long.

I run good for the first 15 min then my tps starts peaking and dropping from 3% to 10 or 12% while holding the throttle steady or even in cruise control.

I can pull over before the car gets real bad and goes into reduced power mode, shut the car off and restart it or reset the error and go another 10-15 min before it starts again. I also reset the tps but ends up the same 15 minutes later.

I understand how the power steering position sensor is related to the traction control but is there a way to disable this error or remove the traction control system completely?

I have B6601 disabled but I also have more torque then the default settings of 813 in B1901. Disabling B6601 doesn't seem to help.

I have no use for traction control and would like to rip it out altogether. If not at least disable it completely so it doesn't use the power steering position sensor and anything to do with the traction control.

I really don't want to install a new power steering position sensor because I'll be right back to using the traction control again which I have no desire to ever use.

Any help would be verry much appreciated.

Highlander
April 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Its probably the ABS Module that needs to be repaired/replaced.
Do not change any torque management figures unless you are seeing less commanded timing than there is actually on the HO Table...

You cannot disable all together the active handling system as it is controlled by the BCM and we do not have access to it.

Are you running mafless??? do you have any other codes????

louis
April 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hello and thank you for the reply.

I have gone thru ever error and I have been eliminating each one as I got them.

Here's the rundown. First I got the infamous steering lock problem. Called GM and they told me it was already done before I bought the car but I know it wasn't done right because they did not remove the locking mechanism. They did add the harness and 2nd relay. Once I knew that it was an easy fix because I knew both relays could not communicate. I reset the bcm and went thru every ground in the car and cleaned them if they needed it or not. It has never locked up since and I stopped getting the power steering position sensor error but I do believe the traction control error is still part of it I have yet to figure out.

Then I got the rdcm error and window would not work. The fix for that was unplug the connector box inside the frame to the door, plug it back in and it worked fine ever since. This also caused all the other mods to stop talking to the computer but that was an easy fix.

No I did not change any settings in the traction control at all.

If I ran further and let the engine go into reduced power mode I would see a tps error P1221, C1278 and P1515 but I believe this is a cause from C1281 traction control issue.

As soon as I see the throttle blipping on its own and the car starts to shudder I know I have just got the C1281 Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction error.
I shut it down reset the error and drive off again for another 15 min.

When this first started happening before I addressed all the grounds I could not drive more than 5 minutes before I would get all the above errors at once and reduced power mode immediately. I feel I am making progress and narrowing it down to the first error that sets but to me it is a very elusive error to chase.

I have come a long way from the period of time that was at first 5 minutes or less with full errors to now 15-20 minutes with one error.

I agree abs/ebtcm could be the culprit also but the C1281 Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction and replacing it to me is still a "hope it works if I replace it" scenario.

Worst part is last year I drove it with no issues, changed the engine and wish I could drive it more.

Hope this info gives more insight.

Keep your thought coming.

Thank you all

louis
April 27th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Finally found the culprit. I don't like leaving a thread hanging so here it is.

After going thru all the grounds G101 G102 etc and cleaned all of them I found a ground pack behind the battery and below the battery stand. Ground packs are different from the frame grounds. This was not connected to the frame at all but just a taped box with a lot of grounds in it. Once I cleaned it and put it back together all my issues have now disappeared.

The battery stand has to be removed. 4 bolts and it is against the firewall.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issues. It is well worth going thru all your grounds if you have an issue that appears and disappears for no apparent reason before you start buying modules that seem to be the culprit.

Thank you for your suggestions with this elusive problem.

jorge
April 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Louis, Thank's for posting I too have a 99 C5

Jorge

louis
April 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Your welcome.

I am glad I could contribute here. Its the best site on the net for information and you could not find better help from people who really know what they are talking about