PDA

View Full Version : some insight please

rpmauto
April 29th, 2009, 03:52 AM
well, i just got set up with my v2 and lm2 a few weeks ago. I have not had much time to play with it as of yet, but am getting fairly comfortable with using the software. (not that good with computers yet) The dashboards and pids were setup when i got it (the guy i got the stuff from is super helpful, cant say enough good things about him) I am sure you will tell me that i am logging too many pids, but i really dont want to change things yet.

First off i have spent a ton of $$ sending the car other places to get it tuned and it still doesnt run like it should,hence me finally getting the tools myself. Car is a 98 trans am 402 ls2 block, prc stage 2.5 ls6 heads with bigger valves, comp 238/242/605/609 cam, fast 90, blue max 90mm tb, n2o outlet 90mm plate kit. Spec stage3+ clutch, strange 12 bolt 3.73 gears. I have only had it to the track once since it was tuned, my best trap speed was 116mph. Average was 112. Not very good at all for what i have. It dynoed at 470rwhp on motor and 620 on a 150 shot. I havent sprayed it at the track yet. But it should run a helluva lot better than it does on motor. The stock motor ran 108 trap speeds.

I have been talking to a very knowlegable person that is a member here and i have learned more in a few e-mails and some time on the phone than i probalby would have on my own in a month, but i want to know what the general concensis (spelling) on my tune and logs are. It has some low speed bucking, nothing major, smells rich as hell at idle (ltfts at -10% logged at idle) I see from the first log i made that it doesnt go into open loop at wot, this bothers me quite a bit. The air fuel displayed on the wideband at wot is too rich as well 11.4 afr i believe.(logging serial on my dashboard) After looking at several tunes from the repository i think the tune i have now is definetly needing some work. The spark tables look like hell. I get up to 7* knock retard on shifts. The pe modifier based on rpm table is completely backwards of what the other ones i am seeing are. At any rate i think there are quite a few issues.

I have been slowly working on mainly the idle area so far. I did just for shits copy a high octane spark table and pe modifier based on rpm table from a similar car in the repository and will log that just to see what happens. It has been raining here all week so no more logs till this weekend. I am fairly new at this and am taking things slowly. I just know that 31* is way too much timing at wot.and 17* is too little at idle. I dont know if i should do the auto ve and kinda start over or not. I think the tune i have now is a good stepping stone, just needs a lot of polishing to make it a sculpture.

Also i dont know if he has the injector flow rate set right. I have fast 36 lb injectors, i cant find crap for info on these. The only thing i did find was a post on ls1tech,that had a screen shot from hp tuners for the flow rate, but i think that system is different from efi-the values are completly different.

I know that you will probalby need more info, but i need to get back to work. I just wanted to see what some of you thought about what i have going on. I wil post up the original tune, and a driving log from that tune, a short idle log from that tune with just 2 cells in the main ve modified, and the tune i changed the spark tables, pe modifier table. Thanks for any input, this stuff is great, just trying to absorb all the info i can to be the best tuner i can be.

ScarabEpic22
April 29th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Welcome to the forum man! Sounds like you'll get everything figured out here soon, Id love to help you out but Im just getting into tuning V8s and even then my truck doesnt have an LS1 PCM (E67 instead). But just looking at your tune, I got 2 out of range error messages when I opened it up:
Engine Calibration.AIR Pump
{B0203} AIR Pump Coolant Temp Disable, was out of range when loaded.

Engine Calibration.Spark.General
{B5942} Spark ECT Multiplier, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.

Also, your spark tables do look a little funky from what I can tell...

Just curious, what version of V7.5 do you have? 7.5.5 build 84 is the latest, since you just got it up and running a few weeks ago I assume you downloaded it from the website so just run the update program in the EFILive program menu. Also update V8.1.2 as well.

Im not trying to get you to upgrade here, but have you thought about upgrading to a 99+ LS1 PCM for better control of your car? Maybe after you get your car running better this might be a good option to do.

rpmauto
April 29th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I have thought about upgading the pcm, but for now i want to get to know what i am doing with what i have. As far as i know i would assume the v2 has the latest updates in it. I also get the same 0ut of range messages, just havent looked yet, air pump is disabled, i did change that the last time i was messing around. (air pump itself went in the garbage a few years ago)

ScarabEpic22
April 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Make sure you are running software version 7.5.5 build 84 (build 72 is what you download off the main page then run the update program to build 84) and v8.1.2 (again run the update program once you install it). Your V2 in all honest does not have the latest updates, its being updated pretty regularly and I guarantee you there's a newer firmware in the download package for V8.1.2 you'll need to flash in using EFILive Explorer.