PDA

View Full Version : Battery Dies While Flashing

MN C5
April 29th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Open short in the battery about 30% of the way through a flash. Now I'm getting a error message and I'm unable to scan several PID's that were scanning prior to the battery taking a crap.

See the attached file..file:///C:/Users/matt/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg

GAMEOVER
April 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
That just happened to me this morning...It was the connection between Flashscan V2, OBD2 port and my laptop.... I unplugged everything, restarted my laptop, then plugged everything back in and everything is working so far...

GAMEOVER
April 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM
There was a thread on this somewhere...I think it said if the connection's were dirty or a bad serial cable would also cause this....

MN C5
April 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Gameover but I should have been a bit more specific.

1st. the battery died of an open short while flashing.
2nd It gets as far as reading the VIN while trying to flash before it pukes.
3rd I'm able to read the program
4th I'm not able to scan most of the PID's that I was using to scan prior to this mishap. Most of the PID's have the read x...
5th All connections are in good shape. The battery was replaced and the truck started right up. I just can't log or tune it.

The truck seems to be running fine.

Tried a full flash and got the same error.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Blacky
April 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Using the Scan Tool option: Bidirectional->Change VIN, check that the VIN is correct. If it is not then set it correctly.

Note: after changing the VIN you must turn ignition off for about 15-30 seconds.

Regards
Paul

ChipsByAl
April 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Is EFI_Live up to date? Were you performing a "Full" flash? Can you perform a cal only flash?
Al

Blacky
April 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Using the Scan Tool option: Bidirectional->Change VIN, check that the VIN is correct. If it is not then set it correctly.

Note: after changing the VIN you must turn ignition off for about 15-30 seconds.

Regards
Paul

If that does not fix the problem, a new feature has been under development for a while now that allows PCM "cloning" (for LS1 style PCMs) for this type of issue. If the clone option is selected the EFILive software will just full-flash the complete *.tun file over the existing contents of the PCM, rather than attempt to "understand/interpret" the existing data in the PCM.

I expect the "clone" option to be available next week.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
April 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
If that does not fix the problem, a new feature has been under development for a while now that allows PCM "cloning" (for LS1 style PCMs) for this type of issue. If the clone option is selected the EFILive software will just full-flash the complete *.tun file over the existing contents of the PCM, rather than attempt to "understand/interpret" the existing data in the PCM.

I expect the "clone" option to be available next week.

Regards
Paul

Alright , that will be a life saver for sure ! :notacrook:

joecar
April 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Good feature...:cheers:

MN C5
April 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Regards
Paul
The requested serial # shows as 86K17319JV9U and the OS shown is 12617631 which is correct just before it pukes out. I tried changing the VIN even though it had the correct VIN in it and that didn't work. Here is a screen shot of what pops up when I requested PCM info. Nothing matches up ??? Weird, I wonder where its getting the wrong info from. I had the TCM and BCM reflashed at the same time I swapped VIN #'s and the OS. It was working splendedly prior to the battery taking a crap. I'm going to have my local dealer reflash the ECM. Hope fully that will take care of it.

And thanks very much for the prompt response! EFI has excellent support...:)

MN C5
April 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The Dealer re flash cleared up my issues.. Thanks guys.

Blacky
April 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The Dealer re flash cleared up my issues.. Thanks guys.

Glad it fixed it. That validates our decision to add the clone option to resolve such issues in future.

Originally we tried to be clever and analyzed and saved the non-volatile data to preserve learned data in the PCM. Data such as CASE learn, oil life, seed/key, adapt shifts etc. The software will continue to do that, but a new option that will overwrite all of that info is being added.

Basically if that info gets messed up, EFILive has a hard time trying to figure out what all the "corrupt" data means. So the new option will allow you to discard it all and write new/clean data from the *.tun file into the non-volatile memory area - that same as the dealers' system does.

Regards
Paul

MN C5
May 1st, 2009, 12:26 AM
Very, very nice. That will be a life saver in certain circumstances:cucumber: Nice job EFILive

joecar
May 1st, 2009, 04:33 AM
Excellent feature, thanks Paul...:cheers:

mistermike
May 2nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
What is an open short?

MN C5
May 2nd, 2009, 05:44 AM
What is an open short?

A break in the continuity of the battery. Kind of like a break in a wire...