PDA

View Full Version : Just got my EGR Done but - My new OS is 12632483 anyone seen this?

Jasondt2001
April 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I was just curious if anyone else has this OS number... The reason I ask is earlier today when I dowloaded it there was a RED file folder on the left hand side... Yes, RED not yellow... it said something about locking the ECM so a tech II or other programmer could not read the calibration data...

Now for some reason I have internet access and have NO idea where i found it... I know my computer updated efilive after i got home but, now it's GONE:secret:

I know you're not supposed to be able to track the LBZ CVN's, The only reason I'm asking is because now my conspiracy theory is back after seeing that red folder and i'm wondering if they've changed something... :bad:

I just want to flick my EGR off... LOL

If any efi'ers or admins want my stock OS file let me know... I can't seem to find the damn file folder now though..

- Jason

ScarabEpic22
April 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
If you plug your V2 in before you fire up the Tune program you will have access to this locking parameter. Well its more of a lock out for other bootloaders from what I understand, EFILive can still write easily to it.

bballer182
April 30th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Actually anything can do a "Full Flash" to a locked ecm. It's just that no one even a tech II cannot read out the calibration. However, the CVN number will be changed and can be read out...

Jasondt2001
April 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks guys. I'm just worried (as we all are) about this being some sort of new 'snooper' program :P.
I always go back to stock before going to the dealer though.

Jasondt2001
May 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Actually anything can do a "Full Flash" to a locked ecm. It's just that no one even a tech II cannot read out the calibration. However, the CVN number will be changed and can be read out...

as long as it goes back to stock (LBZ wise) it's still :secret: right?
I mean dealer wise after I flash it back to stock, I just want to dis-able my EGR as the light came on AGAIN after 80 miles..:bad:

MMLMM
May 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
send your stock file to

mike@mmdieselperformance.com and I can take a look if you want.

You can read it correct?

Jasondt2001
May 2nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Yes, I can read it fine. Just that folder that I've NEVER seen again threw me off... I sent it your way, thank you!

VegasDMAX
May 7th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Hey Jason -

Will you check your mileage with the new OS and get back to us on whether you noticed any change? I got about a 2mpg drop when they reflashed me with that OS. I painstakingly compared all the Engine Operation tables between my original stock OS and the 12632483 OS and they are identical, except for the post injection #2 timing base, which is shifted to the left by one column. I zero'd out the post#2 amount and got back about 3/4 of a mpg, but still a loss of at least 1 mpg from the original. I think there has to be something else going on in these OS's that Ross hasn't discovered yet. I know he has a lot to do but I wish he would take a look at the full differences between OS 12632483 and OS 12606128.

Jasondt2001
May 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hey Vegas!
To be honest with you I've been reading everyone complain about losing the fuel milage after the reflash also!
However, my truck 'seems' to get better milage after the flash. I have no proof of it and it's at the dealer right now (another dealer) because the light came BACK on!!

When I do get some solid numbers I'll post 'em up for you though!

bballer182
May 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
as long as it goes back to stock (LBZ wise) it's still :secret: right?
I mean dealer wise after I flash it back to stock, I just want to dis-able my EGR as the light came on AGAIN after 80 miles..:bad:

Yes if you go back to 100% stock. the way it rolled out of the factory it will be fine. but anything can do a full flash over a "locked" ECM whether it's back to stock or otherwise.

And the reason why you only saw the red folder once is because you haven't had the V2 plugged into the computer while you were viewing your tune.

You HAVE TO have the V2 plugged in while editing your tuning to enable that option.

Jasondt2001
May 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Yes if you go back to 100% stock. the way it rolled out of the factory it will be fine. but anything can do a full flash over a "locked" ECM whether it's back to stock or otherwise.

And the reason why you only saw the red folder once is because you haven't had the V2 plugged into the computer while you were viewing your tune.

You HAVE TO have the V2 plugged in while editing your tuning to enable that option.

:cucumber::cucumber: You answered it!!! I had JUST gotten my computer back from HP and re-installed efilive - I hadn't 'registered' it yet though if i remember correctly.
Thank you!!:rockon:

Also, thank you for the clarification, I just saw a new TSB about how that they can tell either way about the LBZ/LLY programming history (its a bit harder than the LMM) so it's been tuned in the past then they already know even if I've been flying stock for the last 8 months or so...

Although I think I've found a GREAT dealer, I got the truck back and am VERY happy with them!!

Jasondt2001
May 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM
INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 08-06-04-006C

Date: October 29, 2008
Subject:
Information on Identifying Non-GM Calibration Usages for LBZ, LLY, LMM Duramax(R) Diesel Engine

Models:
2005-2009 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado
2005-2009 GMC Savana, Sierra, TopKick

with 6.6L Duramax(R) Diesel Engine (VINs D, 2 , 6 - RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year. Transmission programming information on potential Non-GM ECM Calibration or Power Up Hardware that does not involve ECM reprogramming was added. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
Caution: Customers should be informed that even after the calibration has been returned to a GM certified configuration, it is likely that engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components were weakened to the point of premature failure while subjected to the higher stresses from the non-GM calibration (Power-Up Kit). Engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Power-Up Kit Detection - All 2007-2009 RPO LMM

For 2007-2009 applications, an Engine Control Module (ECM) algorithm was implemented that records the engine calibration part number and Calibration Verification Number (CVN) for the last 10 flash programming events. The ECM only records the engine calibration part number because it contains the parameters for increasing torque and fueling rates.

Some customers may have re-programmed the ECM with a non-GM released calibration. The (Power-Up Kit) powertrain calibration changes fueling and timing parameters and likely contributes to the following vehicle conditions:
^ Poor Performance

^ Black Smoke (This symptom is not valid for the 6.6L (LMM) diesel equipped with the diesel particulate filter (DPF). The DPF will trap black smoke unless the DPF is cracked, melted or has been removed from the exhaust system.)

^ Knocking Noise

^ Engine Damage (Refer to Service Bulletin Number 06-06-01-007 for additional information.)

If a vehicle comes in for service for a driveability/powertrain concern as a result of a Power-Up Kit installation, the dealership technician now can read the last 10 engine calibration part numbers and CVN history using a Tech 2(R).

The dealership technician would input each ECM calibration part number into the SPS/TIS2WEB CVN database to confirm the CVN history information. Refer to Tech 2(R) path table in this bulletin to verify ECM calibration.

2007-2009 LMM Tech 2 Powertrain Output Controls Path Table for NON-GM ECM Calibration
1. Build the vehicle with the Tech 2(R).

2 Select F0: Engine Control Module.

3. Select F5: Module Identification Information.

4. Select F1: Programming History.

5. Turn Ignition On and Engine Off. Press ENTER Key to Continue.

Important: An original production engine operation part number programmed in the ECM from the supplier, which is the last part number shown, would not be in the SPS/TIS2WEB database.

6. Record the Calibration I.D. Numbers and Verification Numbers from the Tech 2(R) Vehicle Information/Programming History Screen. If the list of Calibration Part Numbers is less than 10, the first Calibration I.D. Number (bottom of the list) will not be in SPS/TIS2WEB. In this case, the first Calibration I.D. Number is programmed at the Engine Control Module production factory and is re-programmed at the vehicle assembly plant.

7. From SPS/TIS2WEB, record the Calibration Part Number into the CVN Database. Get CVN.

^ If the CVN does not match the CVN database, an unauthorized engine calibration part was flash programmed into the ECM.

^ If the CVN matches the CVN database, we can assume a Power-Up Kit that flash programs engine calibrations was not used.

2005-2007 LLY and LBZ Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
1. Go to TIS2WEB

2. Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"

3. Enter VIN

4. Select "Get Cal ID"

5. Select "ECM Engine Control Module"

6. Select "Next"

7. Select "Complete History"

8. Print

9. Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2(R)

10. Plug in the Tech 2(R)

11. Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

12. Select "Powertrain"

13. Select "Engine"

14. *Select "Engine Control Module"

15. *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.

16. *If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

17. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2(R) do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2(R) screen showing the VIN and the CVN's (Programming History Calibration ID and Verification Numbers) that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. A copy of the digital pictures showing the Tech2(R) Vehicle Information/Programming History Calibration ID Numbers, Verification Numbers, Transmission Data, Tech2(R) VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) in Canada (DSM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

Tech 2 Transmission Data Path Steps for potential NON-GM ECM Calibration or Power-Up Hardware that does not involve ECM reprogramming.

An example of this hardware is a propane injection system. Data only available with the 2007-2009 GMC Sierra, TopKick and 2007-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado.

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) algorithm is implemented that records a maximum calculated input torque. This information is available via the Tech 2(R).
1. Build the vehicle with the Tech 2(R).

2. Select F3: Transmission Control Module

3. Select F1: Data Display

4. Select F0: Transmission Data

5. Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque

6. The dealership should contact the PQC, open a case to review the findings. Before a final decision on warranty coverage is made.

A CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2(R) screen showing the transmission data, Tech2(R) VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) in Canada (DSM) on the e-mail. GM will analyze the transmission data and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

So oh well...

VegasDMAX
May 8th, 2009, 04:10 AM
We with LBZ's thought we were safe from the CVN verification - I guess not. Anybody got an opinion as to whether doing a "full flash" back to stock instead of just a parameter load might beat it?

Jasondt2001
May 12th, 2009, 03:10 AM
You know i really don't know...

My trucks been tuned in the past so if there is 'damage' that they can get to it's already logged in the TCM

VegasDMAX
May 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Yeah, me too. I'm just thinking that a full flash might overwrite whatever is stored in there. According to some postings, a full flash can, for example, bypass a locked ECM. You can't read what was in there before, but you can overwrite it with a new system.

Any word on your fuel mileage yet? There seems to be quite a consensus on thedieselplace.com that this OS reduces mileage.

bballer182
May 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
You know i really don't know...

My trucks been tuned in the past so if there is 'damage' that they can get to it's already logged in the TCM

Good thing i own an '06 and this only applies to '07 and up :hihi:

Jasondt2001
May 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
LOL - read again my young Padewon (in a Yoda voice... lol)... The TRANS info doesnt look like it affects you but the CVN in the middle affects 06 lly +

bballer182
May 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Doesn't make any sense because they (pre LMM) don't record flash history. just the current flash.

Jasondt2001
May 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I thought the same thing!

2005-2007 LLY and LBZ Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
1. Go to TIS2WEB

2. Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"

3. Enter VIN

4. Select "Get Cal ID"

5. Select "ECM Engine Control Module"

6. Select "Next"

7. Select "Complete History"

8. Print

9. Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2(R)

10. Plug in the Tech 2(R)

11. Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

12. Select "Powertrain"

13. Select "Engine"

14. *Select "Engine Control Module"

15. *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.

16. *If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

17. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2(R) do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2(R) screen showing the VIN and the CVN's (Programming History Calibration ID and Verification Numbers) that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. A copy of the digital pictures showing the Tech2(R) Vehicle Information/Programming History Calibration ID Numbers, Verification Numbers, Transmission Data, Tech2(R) VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) in Canada (DSM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

bballer182
May 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM
well i see you have that new OS i wonder if that has something to do with it. Seeings how this document was released late '08...

I'm still on the original OS (12606128) and this has never been heard of...

TIM Z
May 13th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Moral of story, dont let them install the new OS !!!

wildonwheels
May 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Well since it's spun in a lawyer mumbo-jumbo fashion it's easy to mis-understand.

Only the 07+ LMM's store the 10 last CVN's.. The 06-07 LLY/LBZ only store the active CVN.. So anyone with a 06-07 LLY/LBZ is fine as long as you don't pull into the dealer with your 622whp-1242lbft tune..:angel_innocent:

I think this is one of GM's many new BS lawyered-up additions to denie warranty work since they're a sinking ship.. Pricks.:rippedhand:

Also what hurt us is the 'jackasses' running tunes with 20deg timing from base, 50+psi, a pulse of 4000+ and then spliting the block and going to the dealer saying 'I was just driving along, and'...

I have a friend who is the service rep for 12 local Chevy dealers and hearing the horror stories from him about the retarded crap these jackasses are doing with 06+ Dmaxes is dumb.. Split blocks, sheered crankshafts, locked up turbos, spun cam bearings, lifted heads and the list goes on..

Jasondt2001
May 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
thanks for the info!! :)
What do you think about the last line regarding the tranny remembering the maximum torque values?

rcr1978
May 27th, 2009, 12:40 AM
X2 on the tranny thing, I wonder if a tap reset or flash would clear it? Who has a tech II or has access to one and wants to do a little experimenting :hihi: