PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fully disabled Pilots?

LBZoom
April 30th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Hey guys,
Just curious, there's a little talk on here about disabling pilot injections but I haven't got anything real definitive from it...has anyone completely disabled their pilot injections?

Have you seen any increase in fuel economy or power?

What changes would you make to timing, would you increase it since the pilot isn't there to heat the cylinder up as fast, and also to maintain your current power levels?

I would probably leave mine active at idle just so it's not so noisy but running down the road I don't really care as long as I'm getting some benefits :cheers:

camcojb
April 30th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I disable them from 2500 rpms up which is the rpms you're at during a 1/4 mile run. I don't like them shut off earlier as it's too noisy.

My timing is pretty conservative, I've played with adding a degree or two after the pilots were off and it didn't seem to speed the truck up at all on the datalogs. Shutting off the pilots does reduce your e.t.

Jody

LBZoom
April 30th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Okay good to know, thanks for that!

What is your opinion of disabling them around 1800-2000 rpm's on a tow tune, just maybe to run a little cooler on a grade or something?

justin123
May 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM
i have disabled all pilots and post and ran only the main injection and noticed a little more smoke but added just a little timing and it seemed to help a little but i wasnt too sure on how the no pilots would effect the engine so i have pilot one on and 2 off with no post seems to run fine to me w/o any more noise but fuel eco.???? i dunno about.