PDA

View Full Version : Setting up V2 for BBL...

joecar
May 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
This post is old... please see the newest version of this here: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

Update the V2 bootblock/firmware to latest.

NOTE: the newer version S&T allows you to program the BBL pidlists directly to V2 (you can skip the following).

Configure FlashScan and/or AutoCal for BB logging:

You first use the Scan And Tune BBL tool to configure your BBL pidlists (i.e. configure the Options.txt file), see here: BBL-PIDs-V2 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14351-BBL-PIDs-V2&p=128785#post128785)

you can then program V2 with the pidlists by clicking the Program button in S&T BBL.

Or you can program V2 manually using EFILive Explorer:

1. Using the EFILive_Explorer program, select the [Config Files] tab page. The explorer view in the top half of the window will automatically display the folder contianing the *.pmm and Options.txt files.
2. If you have both FlashScan and AutoCal connected to your PC, select the device you want to configure, by checking one of the FlashScan or AutoCal radio buttons in the lower right corner.
3. Click the [Format] button to format the Config File systemin FlashScan or AutoCal’s flash memory.
4. Click and drag the .pmm files and the Options.txt from the Config folder in the top half of the window to the [Config Files] tab page in the lower half of the window; you need only the .pmm files for the controller(s) you want to log from.
Hint: hold down the Ctrl key (or Shift key) on the PC keyboard to select multiple files and then drag all highlighted files to the [Config Files] tab page.
Note: the Config file system is only about 1Mb in size. If you attempt to copy too many files or files that are too large, then the copy will fail.
5. Also: select the [Scan Files] tab and in the upper locate the .dtc files and rightclick->copy them; then select the [Config Files] tab and paste those files into the [Config Files] tab.

Using BB Logging:

Before you can log any data you must format the Data File system. The Data File system and the Config File system (that you formatted earlier) are kept in different areas of the flash memory. You can safely format one without affecting the other. You can only format the Config File system using a PC and the EFILive Explorer program. That prevents you from accidentally erasing the configuration files while "out on the road".

FlashScan supports two Data File systems: An internal flash memory chip which can hold about 2.7Mb of data and an external SD Card that can hold between 64Mb and 2Gb.

To format the internal Data File system, on the V2 keypad press Ctrl+Backspace, then use the left/right arrow keys to change the File sys: setting to Internal and press OK, then to format the Internal file system, select: F4 Options -> F2 File System -> F3 Format File Sys.

To format the SD Card File system, on the V2 keypad press Ctrl+Backspace, then use the left/right arrow keys to change the File sys: setting to SD Card and press OK, then to format the Internal file system, select: F4 Options -> F2 File System -> F3 Format File Sys.

Note: You can also format the SD card using a PC card reader. Select the FAT32 (or just FAT) file system when formatting the SD Card via a PC. If you do that, you must create two folders on the SD Card:
\EFILive\V7\Scan (which will contain the BB logging files)
\EFILive\V7\Tune (which will contain the tuning files)

WARNING:
NEVER insert or remove the SD Card while Black Box Logging is in progress
(or any other operation that writes data to the SD card), you will lose some
or all of the data stored in the internal flash memory and/or data stored on the SD Card.

Note: the blue LED on FlashScan’s keypad will illuminate whenever FlashScan is writing data to internal or external flash memory.
Note: the blue LED will only illuminate when the LED Mode is set to “S” (Status).

1. Using FlashScan's keypad select F1 Select PIDs, then select the desired pid list by using the up and down arrow keys, then Ok to select.
You can also set up hotkeys to quickly select one of four preset PID lists.
2. Once you have selected a vehicle, FlashScan will return to the main menu.
Select: F2 Scan Tool -> F1 Data Logging->F1 Record Data to begin recording; you can also just press the 0 key to start logging.
3. Pressing Ok during data logging will toggle pause on/off.
4. Use the up and down arrow keys to reveal more PIDs.
Use the Left and Right arrow keys to scroll up and down a page at a time.
(Hint: When held down for more than about a 1/2 second, the keys will "auto-repeat" just like a PC keyboard.)
5. Pressing F1..F4 and Ctrl+F1..Ctrl+F4 will insert the notes 1 thru 8 into the recorded data.
6. Pressing Enter will toggle between Metric and Custom units.
7. Pressing Ctrl+Enter will toggle between small and large text display.
8. Pressing Ctrl+DownArrow, will toggle inverse screen; inverting the screen can help visibility in direct sunlight.

mr.prick
May 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
This thread is nicer than the other one. (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10713) :hihi:

How about adding how to configure the options.txt for BBL. :secret:

joecar
May 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
lol... ok, I will work on those (how to configure Options.txt and the free air cal). :cheers:

bmax
May 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM
This thread is nicer than the other one. (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10713) :hihi:

How about adding how to configure the options.txt for BBL. :secret:

+1 and also more detail on setting up calc_pids for us beginners.:grin:

Thanks,

Brad

joecar
May 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
ok, I'll write this up.

getusumm
May 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ok, This might be a dumb question but should I do this black box logging or some other logging. I have a V2 and a laptop and I want to log tranny and engine so I can dial it in. Im very new to EFI live Thanks

joecar
May 13th, 2009, 04:12 AM
You can do either...

There is a new version of BBL with a user interface being beta tested right now... this will allow you to select pids to log much easier than the old method of editing Options.txt... see this: showpost.php?p=94172&postcount=202 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=94172&postcount=202)

pkincy
November 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Would it be possible to have this tutorial written by a non programmer so it would become understandable?

Perry

Tordne
November 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
What exactly is the issue with the information presented? IMO I find it to be a very well described and procedural account of how to do certain operations.

pkincy
November 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
it describes operations in several different applications and places and has no reference when one sentence refers to one piece of software or hardware and the subsequent sentence refers to another.

Either in this tutorial or another on the same subject we were discussing the V2 piece of hardware and had been moving through it with the F keys in order to select PIDS and the next sentence said something about the blue screen.

After an hour or two of reading I was able to discover that the blue screen was not the blue screen on the V2 but the blue screen in V8 scan and tune in the BBLogging subsection. A simple supplementary sentence that stated after you got to the PID section in the V2 you need to go to V8 and move to F5 the Black Box Settings to populate the various PID selections.

It also needs reference to how to save those selections and get them into the Options.txt file that is in the hidden Windows 7 folder ProgramData and than how to push that Options.txt file into the V2.

Obviously these tutorials are written by folks that thoroughly understand the software, but they need to be proofread by someone that is not as familiar with it so that the rapid leaps of incredible minds can be slowed down enough that each step is included in operational order.

And I suppose if I had my druthers, there would be a greater use of sticky threads that were continually updated to reflect the changes required by the constant (thank you for them) updates we get. There are a number of excellent threads that I have read in my 9 hours of renewing my ability to get around this software today that turned out to be true but only up to the time the thread ended and the knowledgeable would know that some of the info in the thread needed updating simply do to the adoption of the constant improvements. In effect the stickies become a constantly updating "owners manual."

Thanks for your help on this.

Tordne
November 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
You make some good points.

Significantly the version 8 software is under heavy development right now, with it eventually superseding the current version 7 software. As it is undergoing constant change threads such as these do become obsolete, and serve to potentially provide no longer accurate information to users. For instance, it is no longer really necessary (in the main) to modify the Options.txt file manually. This activity is performed no through the version 8 Scan and Tune application.

As we get closer to the complete release of version 8 there will clearly be documentation produced and updated tutorials.

joecar
November 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Yes, EFILive will have an updated user manual... the software has been changing during this year, and the above are interim instructions...

Until S&T came along, EE was the only way to program V2.

BowlingSS
December 9th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Is this info still good for setting up V2 BBL? I need to set mine up.

Bill

joecar
December 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Is this info still good for setting up V2 BBL? I need to set mine up.

BillHi Bill,

That info is now old...

See this: showthread.php?14757-November-18th-2010-pre-release (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14757-November-18th-2010-pre-release)

You use EFILive Explorer to update new firmware.

Then use Scan&Tune to configure Black Box Settings (pid lists) and Device Settings (wideband type and serial/digital pids) --> on each of those Windows make sure to click Program to write those to your V2.

zbadestz
May 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Is the above still good to program. Sorry newbie here

joecar
May 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
No, that's old, some parts of it is still relevant, other parts have been replaced by V8 software.

See the pics in these threads:

showthread.php?14351-BBL-PIDs-V2 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14351-BBL-PIDs-V2&p=128785#post128785)
showthread.php?13841-What-is-BBL (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13841-What-is-BBL)
showthread.php?13836-New-V2-help-find-exlporer (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13836-New-V2-help-find-exlporer&p=123595&viewfull=1#post123595)
showthread.php?15492-V2-BBL-saving-log-data (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15492-V2-BBL-saving-log-data&p=136965#post136965)

Make sure you update your V7/V8 software from www.efilive.com/downloads (http://www.efilive.com/downloads).