PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading OS w/ Flashscan V2?

Mikey 97Z M6
May 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM
After spending some time trying to get the idle to calm down, I'm now looking into upgrading my 99' fbody pcm's operating system to the 01+ version for more idle tuning options. From what I understand, the 01+ OS's have greater flexiblity in the idle tuning. And yes, I've read the tut on idle tuning and applied what I could to my 99 version.

I have a couple of questions because I purchased this EFILive from a friend of mine, so I'm still unsure of it's capabilities. I've searched for most of these questions with no definitive answers so please forgive my ignorance. I have EFILive/Flashscan V2 version V7.5.5 (build 81).

1. Is the software/hardware I currently have capable of doing a full reflash? I read on here that only the commercial versions are capable of doing a full reflash, but I don't see any upgrades to the V2 on EFILive website from "personal" to "commercial". I see the upgrade for the V1, but not for the V2.

2. If yes to the above question, can I just reflash my 99' pcm with a newer 01+ .tun file? I'm a little unclear of the difference between a calibration flash and a full reflash. Would doing this cost me another VIN license?

3. Would it be possible or easier to just find a 01+ pcm and add another VIN License?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Mike

joecar
May 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mikey,

1. If you have V2 then it already has "Commercial" (it lets you do full flash).

2. If you have a 1999 F-car PCM, then you can full flash it with the 2002 F-car file.

full flash -> writes the operating system and the parameters/tables.
cal only flash -> writes only the parameters and tables.

3. No, it will not cost another licence... the licenses are per PCM...
but be sure to first update the scantool/tunetool software to build 84 and
the V2 bootblock/firmware to 2.06.02/2.06.06 (let me know if you need to do this).

Mikey 97Z M6
May 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks Joecar.

So if I reflash the 99 with the complete 01+ file, I will have all the same tables/graphs that a 02 pcm would have? Then it's just a matter of copy/pasting the tables I've already modified?

Mike

joecar
May 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Mike,

If your 1999 tune is stock (unedited), then you can full flash a stock 2002 file over the top of it and you will now have the 2002 OS and calibrations.

Yes, you would copy/paste the tables you have modified...

- open 2 instances of the tunetool (one on the 1999 old file, on on the 2002 new file);
- do copy-with-labels from the old file, and paste-with-labels to the new file, repeat for all tables that have been modified;
- close tunetool instance that has old file;
- save new file with a suitable name;

Then, do a full flash of the new file, and then read it back (observe the 15 second wait period in between write and read) and save it to another filename, and compare the two.

I don't know which PCM you have, but I'm guessing it's a 1999 F-car PCM or a 0411 PCM...
if that's the case, your best choice is to go to the 2002 F-car 12212156 file (for the same transmission as what you currently have)...
that file is available at www.holdencrazy.com .
12212156 gives you the option of updating to COS5 is you want to (it's free).

Joe

Mikey 97Z M6
May 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
That's great information. I searched for this before but the information I found made it seem like only some of the newer tables would be able to be transferred with the new OS system. This is why I was prepared to buy a newer pcm and just buy another license.

Also, I'm not familiar with COS5? Is that another upgrade once I've installed the newer OS?

Thanks again.
Mike

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I think there are maybe 3 tables in the 1999 file that don't directly copy into the 2002 file:
- 1 goes away (no problem, ignore it),
- 1 is new (no problem use the 2002 table),
- 1 is transposed (copy-with-labels, then goto View->Calibration Window->Conversions and click Create New Table, click Transpose, then copy-with-labels, then paste-with-labels into new file);

COS5 is based on these OS's:
- 12225074 (2002-2004 Commodore/Monaro/HSV)
- 12212156 (2002 Corvette/Camaro/Firebird)

If you have either of those you can very easily ugrade to COS5; if not, then you have to tediously copy/paste (with labels).

COS5 has the following features:
- OL AFR control is more specific/controlled with RPM x MAP OL AFR table;
- large overlap cam idle is supported by the additional TP x RPM VE table (Alpha-N);
- boost spark/fuel tables;
- nitrous spark/fuel tables (triggered by external input to PCM unused pin).

Mikey 97Z M6
May 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Joecar!! :cheers:

Mike