PDA

View Full Version : STFT's sending unwanted fuel....why?

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Here is the next issue that I have encountered. STFT's dumping unwanted fuel. Don't know how to change this. Here are tune & log file. Once the STFT's start dumping fuel, she starts burning fuel in the exhaust pipe again. You will see in the log when the STFT's start fueling. Please help

Bank 2 02 sensor is gobbed up due to my previous injector problem (from previous post). Am in the process of replacing it.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Ran a side by side, tune file to log file & found that the EFILive ECT/MAP table for OL fueling is registering twice the ECT that is noted in the F9 list & the EFILive dash gauge. For this reason, the PCM is going into richer fueling & eventually engine protection fueling.

Will try to calibrate the software. Anyone who knows a quick method, please reply. Thanks

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Here's the latest log & tune file. Run them side by side & you'll see what is noted.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM
This must be a software problem becaue it only occured after I downloaded the 7.5.5 upgrade?

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I took a very quick look at your log file...

Hmmm... your wideband does show it getting richer as STFT's increase...

Are you sure you got no airleaks...?

Are LTFT's disabled (I haven't looed at your tune file yet... later tonite)...?
If they are, then why are LTFT's showing non-zero...?

In the scantool, go Help->About and see what build version is it.

Also maybe try a full flash.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I took a very quick look at your log file...

Hmmm... your wideband does show it getting richer as STFT's increase...

Are you sure you got no airleaks...?

Are LTFT's disabled (I haven't looed at your tune file yet... later tonite)...?
If they are, then why are LTFT's showing non-zero...?

In the scantool, go Help->About and see what build version is it.

Also maybe try a full flash.

I re-loaded everything w/ the 7.5.5 upgrade. The LTFT's are from another log. I set it so that they wouldn't effect this one. The STFT's come on when the ECT vs MAP table hits what it believes is 130*C, which is actually in the 60*'s C range. There are no air leaks, it's the software. I have watched it happen 3 times now. I'll look up the version to confirm. Have re-loaded earlier today w/ same issue.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Checked both Scan tool & tune, both are 7.5.2 (build 36) only because I tried to go back to the older stuff in order to get rid of the problem. Apparently, the tune file that was re-used after the re-load didn't change.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Did a full Flash 7.5.5.72 scan tool & tune tool; same result. Here is the tune file & log. Open both together & start the log (it's short). Watch the ECT on either the F9 or dahboard & watch the ECT vs MAP, OL fuel table. Log ends w/ 49*C Scan tool (which matches the engine temp) & corresponding 120*C commanded on the ECT vs MAP, OL fueling table. Now, I just turn the car off as soon as the AFR starts to drop. This avoids the damage & exhaust fireworks. Have also sent an e-mail to EFILive support.

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Does the same thing happen with build 84...?

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I meant: do a full flash of your tune file to the PCM.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I meant: do a full flash of your tune file to the PCM.

Yes, understood, that is what was done. Am always nervous when doing a full PCM re-flash. 7.5.5.72 was loaded in place of the older software, including the tune file.

I tried to go back to the old version earlier, log & tune a few posts up. For some reason, there is no going back. When I opened the tune file & scan PID in the older version, whatever is causing the 7.5.5.72 upgrade issue transfered back into the old version. Only thing not tried is to build a complete new tune & PID in the old version. Would like to avoid this & see if the 7.5.5.72 can work.

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I notified Tech Support.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I notified Tech Support.

Thanks

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hmmmm.... in your tune file, B3601 is set to AFR 16.995... this won't work with the NBO2 sensors because it's too far from stoichiometric... this is most likely causing the STFT's and LTFT's to behave wrong (the LTFT's looked like they were not moving when they should have).

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hmmmm.... in your tune file, B3601 is set to AFR 16.995... this won't work with the NBO2 sensors because it's too far from stoichiometric... this is most likely causing the STFT's and LTFT's to behave wrong (the LTFT's looked like they were not moving when they should have).

I didn't log long enough to see LTFT's because didn't want them to be part of the issue. Set it up so that they wouldn't trim the fueling. Wanted to see the STFT's only. 17:1 was only commanded as an effort to keep the car from running so rich, prior to finding the OL, ECT vs MAP issue. It had also been tried @ 16:1 & 15:1 w/ the same result. However, would like to run as lean as possible under normal driving conditions. My plugs have been tested & can handle up to 17:1. How lean can it be set? Would like to set it as lean as the 02's can handle, once the OL fueling is worked out.

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The stoich commanded fueling hasn't been tried with the full PCM flash. So, will try a 14.6 or 15:1 on the new flash & see what happens.

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Set it to 14.63.

ScarabEpic22
May 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Also, just simply downloading 7.5.5 from the website IS NOT THE LATEST VERSION. You need to run the Check for Updates program in the Start menu under EFILive (both V7.5 and V8).

LS1-450
May 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Also, just simply downloading 7.5.5 from the website IS NOT THE LATEST VERSION. You need to run the Check for Updates program in the Start menu under EFILive (both V7.5 and V8).

Yes, (2) updates were found while checking & loaded directly after downloading the 7.5.5 software.

Blacky
May 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Watch the ECT on either the F9 or dahboard & watch the ECT vs MAP, OL fuel table. Log ends w/ 49*C Scan tool (which matches the engine temp) & corresponding 120*C commanded on the ECT vs MAP, OL fueling table.

The Scan Tool is sending *F to the Tuning Tool and the Tuning Tool is interpreting the value as *C.

Either change the axis of the OL table in the Tuning Tool to *F, or change the the data being sent from the Scan Tool to *C.

NOTE: The data displayed in the charts does NOT determine what is sent to the Tuning Tool. As you can see you're displaying *C in the chart but still the Scan Tool is sending *F to the Tuning Tool.
On the [PIDs F8] tab page, right click the ECT PID and select Metric to force the Scan Tool to send *C to the Tuning Tool.

That will fix the tracking mismatch.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I've looked over the log files and I can't see anything in the log files to indicate that the PCM is doing anything "wrong". The STFT's are behaving as expected, the LTFT's are behaving as expected.

I'm not really sure I understand what you believe the problem to be or why?

Having the Stoich set to 17 is confusing the PCM since the O2 crossover points are not at 17. However the PCM is calculating the fueling correctly even under that condition.

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Regarding the units mismatch, here's more info:

Configuring units in scantool/tunetool:
showthread.php?t=7585 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7585)
showthread.php?t=164 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=164)
showthread.php?t=1757 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=1757)
showthread.php?t=2722 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2722)

LS1-450
May 6th, 2009, 01:22 AM
The Scan Tool is sending *F to the Tuning Tool and the Tuning Tool is interpreting the value as *C.

Either change the axis of the OL table in the Tuning Tool to *F, or change the the data being sent from the Scan Tool to *C.

NOTE: The data displayed in the charts does NOT determine what is sent to the Tuning Tool. As you can see you're displaying *C in the chart but still the Scan Tool is sending *F to the Tuning Tool.
On the [PIDs F8] tab page, right click the ECT PID and select Metric to force the Scan Tool to send *C to the Tuning Tool.

That will fix the tracking mismatch.

Regards
Paul

Thanks for the reply. The same condition is true regarding the MAP. However, the tune tool either has no trouble converting the Imperial MAP data to Metric or the tune file is simply chosing the lowest available value in the MAP row of the tune file. This can be seen in the log & tune file.

When testing this morning I will first only change the temp & leave the MAP alone to see if the tune tool is actually converting the MAP from Imperial to Metric.

Why is commanded fuel 14.63:1 adjustable since the variable is so critical to the NB 02 sensors? Will start w/14.63 per joecar, but want to run much leaner if possible.

Will post again in a little while w/ results.

joecar
May 6th, 2009, 01:37 AM
For the 1998 LS1 calibration, B3601 is usually 14.6286... don't change this.

To run a specific AFR do these steps:
- make sure IFR and injector tables matche actual injectors,
- do AutoVE,
- if you want to run the MAF, then also do AutoMAF,
- then run in OLSD or CLMAF,
- setup the B3605 OLCF for your specific AFR's.

LS1-450
May 6th, 2009, 02:39 AM
For the 1998 LS1 calibration, B3601 is usually 14.6286... don't change this.

To run a specific AFR do these steps:
- make sure IFR and injector tables matche actual injectors,
- do AutoVE,
- if you want to run the MAF, then also do AutoMAF,
- then run in OLSD or CLMAF,
- setup the B3605 OLCF for your specific AFR's.

IFR tables match the ACCEL 30#ers. I reduced the trim related to voltage & zeroed the small pulse adjustment as has been noted in the EFILive sticky related to ACCEL 30# injectors. Once this was done, the wideband closely matched the commanded. So, they are at least close if not exact.

I will re-do AutoVE & then AutoMAF & then set B3605 for OLCF for AFR's. Will the OLCF effect the PE fueling? I don't think it does, but wanted to ask to make sure that it is understood.

OK, once the Metric settings wer corrected in the MAP & ECT scan toll F8 area, the idle fueling issue is corrected, thank-you.

There remains a decel pop in the exhaust. Can you offer suggestions to DFCO settings from my tune that can eliminate this?

Thanks jocar, Blacky, Scarabepic22 & any others who may have been thinking about solutions for me.

Blacky
May 6th, 2009, 08:37 AM
There remains a decel pop in the exhaust. Can you offer suggestions to DFCO settings from my tune that can eliminate this?

If the pop is when you get back on the gas after decel, try ramping in the spark at a lower rate when exiting decel.
If the pop is as you enter decel, try ramping out the spark faster when entering decel.
Use tables: B3334 and B3335 for spark adjustment.

Regards
Paul