PDA

View Full Version : Any Linux Developers?

Blacky
May 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Given that right now we don't have time to develop a Linux port of EFILive, I'd like to find out if there are any Linux software developers here that would be interested in developing "proof of concept" software.

The software would provide the same features as EFILive_Hapi. It wouldn't necessarily need to be a GUI app (but bonus points if it is), just a background daemon that implements the EFILive HAPI (Hardware Application Programming Interface).

It would need to use the Linux drivers for the FTDI chip available from www.ftdichip.com (http://www.ftdichip.com).

The EFILive HAPI spec will be available to third party developers, one it has been documented .

I don't know where it might end up, but there's no harm in exploring the option... Any takers?

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Paul, I'm a linux driver developer (among other things)...

I could try it if it's not too daunting a task... (at the moment my schedule is pretty tight)... or I could at the very least help out.

I know how to use stdlib but I don't know how to use the graphical interface(s).

C is my language.

redhardsupra
May 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I'm a linux... a lot of things? i've done some very basic kernel stuff, but mostly reside in the userland. what do you need done?

Stealth97
May 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I'm a Linux newbie currently running Ubuntu .

I'd be willing to help test using Linux. I have a bench harness for PCM's and EFI Live sitting right here. Can test it with the laptop, all good, then test with the PC.

Looks like interest is piling up.

Maybe one day I'll meet joecar and he will teach me a thing or two.

joecar
May 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM
...Maybe one day I'll meet joecar and he will teach me a thing or two.We'll do that...:cheers:

swingtan
May 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I found a bug in the HP-UX port of GNU Core Utils, does that count for anything????

I downloaded the FTDI drivers ( the native USB ones not the VCP ones, I hope I guessed right ) and installed them. Had a quick look at the test code and then went back to work.

Simon

TFZ_Z06
May 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM

The EFILive HAPI spec will be available to third party developers, one it has been documented .

I don't know where it might end up, but there's no harm in exploring the option... Any takers?

Regards
Paul

I write the Moates.net FORD QuarterHorse, BURN1/BURN2, Ostrich 2.0 software ("FORD equiv of RoadRunner (actually uses moates RR protocols), chip burner, etc") and I speak FTDI, LC1, etc. All done in C/C++/Windows.

No Linux for me, but would be highly interested in a 3rd party DLL, libs, just for fun or whatever.

Stealth97
May 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=TFZ_Z06;94002}
...No Linux for me, but would be highly interested in a 3rd party DLL, libs, just for fun or whatever.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean No Linux? If you write all that Moates stuff, how come you haven't played with Linux any, or do you prefer Windows?

I've recently installed Linux and have been playing around with it slowly. Time consuming versus Windows to do some things, but Ubuntu is pretty friendly.

Ryan
May 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I'd be interested in this as well.

It looks like there is a fair amount of experience in here; I'm sure one of us could come up with something.

Blacky
May 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I write the Moates.net FORD QuarterHorse, BURN1/BURN2, Ostrich 2.0 software ("FORD equiv of RoadRunner (actually uses moates RR protocols), chip burner, etc") and I speak FTDI, LC1, etc. All done in C/C++/Windows.

No Linux for me, but would be highly interested in a 3rd party DLL, libs, just for fun or whatever.

The EFILive_Hapi interface specifications will be available for third party's to code against on Windows platforms (as soon as I get time to document it). That API will provide access to the FlashScan and AutoCal devices and allow you to write your own scan tool software.

If you want to get a head start, you can see/study the messages sent to/from the EFILive_Hapi application in the "Trace" section.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
May 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I am not a developer by any means , but would love to learn MONO and porting Windows Software to Linux .
With MONO all that is needed is source code for porting .
Would love to see a Linux EFILive Distro , a small desktop OS just for EFILive , with EFILive theme and Icons .

Gil

Chevy366
May 14th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Here is a cool thing SuSE is doing and this is why I said a EFILive Distro is not a pipe dream it could be done easily :http://cornelius-schumacher.de/marbleinabox.html
SuSE Studio , allows a customized OS down loadable ISO image , try that with Win7 .

Chevy366
May 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Forgot link to SuSE Studio : http://susestudio.com/
If someone is interested they can use my invite .

abkimble
May 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM
The EFILive_Hapi interface specifications will be available for third party's to code against on Windows platforms (as soon as I get time to document it). That API will provide access to the FlashScan and AutoCal devices and allow you to write your own scan tool software.

If you want to get a head start, you can see/study the messages sent to/from the EFILive_Hapi application in the "Trace" section.

Regards
Paul

Let's see how it goes.:rockon:

pistonrings
May 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Glad to see there is some thought being given to the linux (open source?) world!

I'd love to do some development, but unless you want it written in perl, I'm probably not your guy. I've got a fair bit of experience with a few different distro's though. I'd be open to testing!

Chevy366
May 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I keep hinting , I really don't want the source code (I know it probably scares someone when that is brought up) , I know that that is the heart of the software , but I keep showing how MONO could be used to port to Linux .

Blacky
May 15th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I keep hinting , I really don't want the source code (I know it probably scares someone when that is brought up) , I know that that is the heart of the software , but I keep showing how MONO could be used to port to Linux .

Wouldn't Mono only be useful if EFILive was developed on the .NET framework? EFILive is written in Delphi. There was a Linux version of Delphi called Kylix but we have not gone down that path as it seems Embacadero are not planning on supporting it.

Long term, I'd rather see EFILive re-written Linux in C.

regards
Paul

Chevy366
May 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't Mono only be useful if EFILive was developed on the .NET framework? EFILive is written in Delphi. There was a Linux version of Delphi called Kylix but we have not gone down that path as it seems Embacadero are not planning on supporting it.

Long term, I'd rather see EFILive re-written Linux in C.

regards
Paul
Linux has GNU , GCC C/C++ compilers built in .
Ah , I see about Delphi , did some looking , sucks .
What about Pascal ? http://www.freepascal.org/
Don't know why I thought EFILive was .NET .

joecar
May 16th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Paul,

Have you seen git (http://git-scm.com/) the distributed version control system...?

I have been using git for the past 6+ months for version control in my driver/kernel projects and for other user space app projects...

It was a little daunting at first in a multi-developer environment (locally at work with my 15+ linux driver peers, and publically with the linux kernel community)... but I found it to be very powerful... its strengths are in its ability to do branching, merging and rebasing (this really blows me away).

When debugging my driver, I create a new branch, I do my edits/compiles/tests/commits... then I merge this branch back into my local branch for this driver (I have separate branches for the various drivers)... then if my peers made intermediate changes, I pull their changes from their trees into mine, I rebase my changes on theirs, and now I have mine/everyone's changes... all done with a few simple command lines.

I'm sure that for a smaller developer headcount, git would be very easy/quick to learn/apply.

Blacky
May 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Paul,

Have you seen git (http://git-scm.com/) the distributed version control system...?

I have been using git for the past 6+ months for version control in my driver/kernel projects and for other user space app projects...

It was a little daunting at first in a multi-developer environment (locally at work with my 15+ linux driver peers, and publically with the linux kernel community)... but I found it to be very powerful... its strengths are in its ability to do branching, merging and rebasing (this really blows me away).

When debugging my driver, I create a new branch, I do my edits/compiles/tests/commits... then I merge this branch back into my local branch for this driver (I have separate branches for the various drivers)... then if my peers made intermediate changes, I pull their changes from their trees into mine, I rebase my changes on theirs, and now I have mine/everyone's changes... all done with a few simple command lines.

I'm sure that for a smaller developer headcount, git would be very easy/quick to learn/apply.

I've not used git, but I used sccs and cvs back when I was developing on UNIX. I do like version control systems and I will be moving the V8 code into some form of version control before too long.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
May 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Pascal will do Delphi ports and works with Linux .
Man 2 Unix people and still no closer to a Linux version of EFIlive !
BitKeeper sucks charging and forcing a change to git .

joecar
May 19th, 2009, 02:17 AM
You will like git.

Chevy366
May 19th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Yeah finally listened to a pod cast of Linus on git at Google .
Pretty cool stuff for kernel development .

redhardsupra
June 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Linux based car gizmos, kinda cheezy, but with potential

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5568675744.html

Highlander
June 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
why move to linux?

Almost all SLOW PCs run windows XP...

The EEEPCs, which are for me the PCs I am looking to use while programming, work just fine for this purpose...

Why not develop an iphone APP and a smaller V2? a la V1 that connects directly to it and you can make the changes there? V1 shouldn't have been dropped... Just upgraded... maybe a direct cable connecting to the iphone would be awesome at least for scanning and/or as a BBF BBL.

I guess that instead of moving to another platform, you guys should develop ford/chrysler scanning capabilities... I would certainly pay extra right now for it.

redhardsupra
June 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
because paying 200$ for OS on a $200 piece of hardware is silly. it made more sense when computers were 3000$, but not in the era of netbooks.

Highlander
June 10th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Oh please Marcin....... XP is not that expensive anyhow... Do you need a key??? I have a technet sub.

That is like saying... Paying $12-14k for the full efilive software on a $200 piece of hardware is super silly.....

Chevy366
June 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
why move to linux?

Almost all SLOW PCs run windows XP...

The EEEPCs, which are for me the PCs I am looking to use while programming, work just fine for this purpose...

Why not develop an iphone APP and a smaller V2? a la V1 that connects directly to it and you can make the changes there? V1 shouldn't have been dropped... Just upgraded... maybe a direct cable connecting to the iphone would be awesome at least for scanning and/or as a BBF BBL.

I guess that instead of moving to another platform, you guys should develop ford/chrysler scanning capabilities... I would certainly pay extra right now for it.
Hmmm , because I hate feeding a huge Corporate giant more and more money , while they force upgrades to inferior software .
Yeah , iPhones are dropping to below $100 bucks , but really would not want to tune through my phone (667MHz processor) .
How about a V3 with embedded Linux that could work as a phone , netbook , GPS , TV and tuning/scanner . I'd buy one !

Oh please Marcin....... XP is not that expensive anyhow... Do you need a key??? I have a technet sub.

That is like saying... Paying $12-14k for the full efilive software on a $200 piece of hardware is super silly.....
Why do you need to subscribe and pay to a site to get illegal numbers for a crappy software , when you can run Linux for free , no license and not be illegal ?
I have a gut feeling that tuning automobiles is going to get tougher and tougher and maybe to the point of not doable at all . $.2

Highlander
June 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I didn't know Technet was illegal... I better call microsoft as they are the ones that charge me for my technet subscription!

The only reason would be to make efilive on a dedicated device with more common and simple hardware. Just like Snap On does with the modis(although they use XP, which makes it more expensive). Not having to pay a M$ license will mean the product will be more affordable... Same thing as GM does with their TIVO boxes to dealers... They all run linux...

Other than that... If the scope is to keep this a different hardware like V2 for a PC based connection, I see no reason to run Linux.

Chevy366
June 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I didn't know Technet was illegal... I better call microsoft as they are the ones that charge me for my technet subscription!
LOL , might be check with the the EU .
Sorry miss read the post , so you get them for free ?
I would like to point out that if he gives or sells outside his agreement it is illegal !

redhardsupra
June 10th, 2009, 06:56 AM
and I see no reason to run Windows. Been running Linux or FreeBSD as my main desktop for over a decade.

Chevy366
June 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM

The only reason would be to make efilive on a dedicated device with more common and simple hardware. Just like Snap On does with the modis(although they use XP, which makes it more expensive). Not having to pay a M$ license will mean the product will be more affordable... Same thing as GM does with their TIVO boxes to dealers... They all run linux...

Other than that... If the scope is to keep this a different hardware like V2 for a PC based connection, I see no reason to run Linux.

You know I kind of agree , I don't want people that use MS crap tainting Linux , with the less than savvy user that use MS , let them stay there .

Highlander
June 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
no.. it's not free.. i pay $350/year for that privilege... Since I dealt with PCs fix and such, technet provided all the tools for me to test their software against a given hardware combination. Creating back-ups of pre-installed software to provide customers with full fledged on software PCs. Just like Dell/HP without me having to worry about licensing and stuff... It is also for developers. As long as you do NOT use the software as part of your business front or sell the keys, you are good to use it on pretty much any PC you wish. Albeit there is always limitation to the use, but... It darn works.

Again... if efilive is moving to a dedicated PC hardware that integrates all of the V2 hardware in a single machine, I see no reason to move to Linux and waste all that coding time when we could get a decent Ford/DCX scanner...

Highlander
June 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM
and I see no reason to run Windows. Been running Linux or FreeBSD as my main desktop for over a decade.

WELLL..... i get you... but you are a MINORITY!! LOL

Chevy366
June 10th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Here , here !

Highlander
June 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM
You know I kind of agree , I don't want people that use MS crap tainting Linux , with the less than savvy user that use MS , let them stay there .

The purpose of tuning shouldn't require that you are a linux master tech.

I've hated linux because there has never been uniformity between developers. Sometimes tasks as simple as installing a printer can become a REAL PAIN.

If they are going to run a dedicated hardware for this stuff that has j2534 integrated or something similar, then by all means go linux, as it will result into not having to shell out $200/device to M$ which they can earn themselves and rightfully they deserve it.

Other than that... let's work towards FORD/DCX we need a decent scanner.

Highlander
June 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
In the end... if i have to install a linux distro on my laptop just to test out the software and help out... by all means I will..

GMPX
June 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
My Panasonic TV is running Linux, who would have thought!!

Highlander
June 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Yes... if this is the line on which efilive is headed.. then BY ALL MEANS!!!!

mr.prick
June 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Is it worth the time spent on R&D for an OS that most people do not use?
What about all the other issues that will need to be dealt
with two different OS's running beta software?
Besides Commadore support needs to come first. :laugh:

Stealth97
June 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Is it worth the time spent on R&D for an OS that most people do not use?
What about all the other issues that will need to be dealt
with two different OS's running beta software?
Besides Commadore support needs to come first. :laugh:

I've been using computers for the past 14 years. Wanted one for 3-4 years but family would not provide one. Kept promising me one, even got no Christmas presents one year and was SUPPOSED to get a computer, and never got jack shit (Family financial problems arose). Finally got fucking pissed waiting for others to do stuff for me and went and hustled Magic: The Gathering cards and made $1,300 cash and bought my first PC. (For those that know about Magic, profit from 10 cards paid for my computer: I had an Alpha Black Lotus, Unlimited Black Lotus, a MOX set, and a rare blue set [timetwister, the extra turn time card, and the draw extra cards card]. Bought the MOXES for about $40-50 each, and sold them for about $90-100 or traded for valuable cards.

First PC was a 133mhz Pentium, of course I still remember it and the ABIT motherboard that powered it.

I finally installed Linux early last year. Learned on a friends PC when I was about 9 or 10 on Windows 3.11. Then Windows 95 myself and with friends. Then Windows 98 on my first PC (woot woot!), then win 98 second edition, then win 2000, then windows XP and now Winblows Vista.

The reason I'm switching to Linux is I think Microsoft should have made a better product from the get go. Their company is for profit. They shouldn't make such garbage/shit, but they do, and they get away with it, and they get away with overcharging. So, I did not buy Vista (came preloaded on a laptop), and my desktop runs Linux. Even got my girlfriend familiar with Linux. Ubuntu is pretty easy to use, no Kernel compiling, etc.

If anybody has any Magic: The Gathering cards, I want the MOX set, a black lotus, and another rare blue set. =)

ScarabEpic22
June 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Disclaimer: If you dont want to know my background about PCs, then skip this post as it will be boring and a waste of your time. I just hope everyone doesnt skip it dohh!

Haha Stealth, I started back on a 33mhz 486 with no idea how little RAM or HD space, but it had a 5.25 floppy and I think my parents upgraded to a 3.5" floppy too!! Sound Blaster 16 sound card, ohh yea!! Then went to the first Pentium 100mhz with 1.01gb of HD space and Win 95, then got a Celeron 366mhz, had 64mb RAM and a 6gb HD, Win 98se. Last prebuilt/store bought desktop (laptops dont count) was a Celeron 700mhz, 30GB HD, 128mb RAM upgraded to 256mb by me, and my first CD burner. Right about then I got into computers, it had Win ME on it which we all know was a JOKE so when XP came out I upgraded to that. Started gaming so I needed something with an actual graphics card instead of the wimpy integrated Intel POS, built my first PC thats still running today (built 7-8yrs ago). My first AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512mb RAM, 100gb HD, DVD-rom and CD burner, GeForce 3 Ti200 128mb, XP home, Asus mobo. That was good for 2 years then built an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1GB Ram, 100+120+160 (then the 100 died after 5 years of constant service) HDs, ATI All in wonder 8500 128mb card, dvd burner, XP Pro, Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2 (if you know a lot about the Athlon XP processors, this is the best mobo out there for them, not was, is the best mobo. Its like 5yrs old and still the best out there, but alas we no longer use single core processors. And its about to be rebuilt with a slower graphics card for a linux Ubuntu box and maybe XP pro for kicks).

So thanks for reading those who sorta cared, ASUS mobos have been bulletproof in all the systems Ive put them in from AMD Socket As to Intel socket 478s to AMD socket 2s (think thats what the Athlon 64s are).

Blacky
June 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I have to agree on the ASUS mobo's. :cheers:
Paul

Blacky
June 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I'm showing my age here, but when I was a kid I had an Apple ][ and Apple //e. They got stolen and the insurance company would only cough up enough money to purchase a clone out of Hong Kong. But it had 2 banks of 64K and twin half-height floppies, not the big Hippo drives that Apple used. It also had an 80 column card which meant it could be used on a green screen monitor with 80 characters across the screen, instead of the 40 characters that you got when hooked up to a (very lo-res) TV.

Anyway Apple had just released Pro-Dos which had a file system kind of like FAT where you could have hierarchical directories (yeah - on 120K floppy disks).

But it would not run on clones - grrr!!! Apple still haven't changed in that respect.

So a mate and I got hacking (in 6502 assembler) and found three checks that Pro-Dos made against known locations in the ROM. We patched Pro-Dos and had ourselves a working copy of Pro-Dos running on an Apple clone. Then sold the apple clone and got an Amiga (way cool!), then UNIX boxes and now Windows. And yes, I've even got a couple of Linux boxes running virtual servers for various Windows test platforms.

And here I am 25 years later still hacking... The more things change the more they stay the same.

Regards
Paul

Highlander
June 11th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Then why use linux??? you will not get to hack anymore!!! jajajaja

Chevy366
June 12th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Started out with a Tandy TRS80 , then skipped to Windows 98 several years later , got sick of BSOD and got Red Hat Linux , so ended the BSOD , then ran Corel (Xandors today) Linux , next Mandrake (Mandriva today), then SuSE , in between I bought ME , then XP (notice I said bought , not came with computer , when you home build you have to load it yourself) .
First Windows computer was a E-Machines (lasted 6 months before it was modified) , then home built from there on .
Use to upgrade MB , Processor , etc.... everything but maybe the hard drive every year (truthfully ever 6 months or sooner).
Got into custom case designs , cut outs , lighting ( I did a Star Trek designed case that people around here still talk about to this day) , then water cooling , making my own coolers and water blocks (radiator with 120mm fan , aluminum box housing pump (reservoir) , then Plexiglas reservoirs , copper heat sink) , over clocking got to be a way of life (processor , memory , graphics card) , processors stink when they burn , memory freaks when pushed to far and graphics cards will show digital artifacts when memory or processor is pushed to far , Windows always needs to be reinstalled when you clock the processor to high , funny Linux would boot and run when Windows would not . Yes a GAMER AM I . Along the way did some servers and LANs which made gaming easier .
If I went into detail about every system I have built it would take days to write and would consume several pages of space .
My brief but boring history with computers .

joecar
June 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Has anyone read John Lions' Unix kernel commentary book...?

GMPX
June 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
For me, there is a common link.....
Vic 20, then to
C64, then to
Amiga 500, then to
Amiga 1200, then to
Wintel machines, various starting at 486/Win95 , never liked them, still don't, but have to use them out of necessity.
I wish I had kept all my old Commodore machines, as for all the Wintel boxes I've ever had, they are not missed in the landfill they are buried in.
Commodore was a classic case of a company who had fantastic engineers but dreadful management and that is why they went bust. Back in 1987 when I got my Amiga 500 I remember looking at my friends build up 386/486 etc, they would spend days getting all the cards working (pre Plug and Play), performance wise the Amiga still left them for dead at half the price because of the fantastic chipset Commodore stuck in them.
I still can't figure out why PC's took over the world, they had the crappiest CPU's, dreadful architecture and shitty MS-DOS. PC fans could never figure out why a 33MHz 386 was slower than a 7 MHz 68K Amiga that happened to also have a 4096 colour pallete.

Cheers,
Ross

Chevy366
June 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I
Commodore was a classic case of a company who had fantastic engineers but dreadful management and that is why they went bust. Back in 1987 when I got my Amiga 500 I remember looking at my friends build up 386/486 etc, they would spend days getting all the cards working (pre Plug and Play), performance wise the Amiga still left them for dead at half the price because of the fantastic chipset Commodore stuck in them.
I still can't figure out why PC's took over the world, they had the crappiest CPU's, dreadful architecture and shitty MS-DOS. PC fans could never figure out why a 33MHz 386 was slower than a 7 MHz 68K Amiga that happened to also have a 4096 colour pallete.

Cheers,
Ross
Wow , did some reading on the Amiga 500 (wikipedia) , to bad sounded like a great machine , I actually have seen a couple in a store in Arlington , Texas .

wikipedia article quote : Somewhat unusually for a budget machine, all chips are socketed rather than through-hole soldered so if the casing is opened up (voiding the warranty), they can be replaced by hand. The CPU can be upgraded to a 68010 directly or to a 68020, 68030 or 68040 via the side expansion slot. The Chip RAM can be upgraded to 1 MB directly on the motherboard, provided a Fat Agnus chip is also installed to support it. In fact, all the custom chips can be upgraded to the ECS chipset. 512 KB of “Slow RAM” or “Trapdoor RAM” can be added via the trapdoor expansion. Such upgrades usually also included a battery-backed clock. If further expansion is desired, up to 8 MB of “Fast RAM” can be added via the side expansion slot. Hard drive and other peripherals can also be added via the side expansion slot. So many options vying for one expansion slot can have made for difficult choices, but several companies provided combined CPU, memory and hard drive upgrades, or provided a pass-through expansion slot so multiple devices can be chained. Expansions are configured automatically by AutoConfig software, so multiple pieces of hardware did not conflict with each other. The Amiga is plug and play.
No wonder you hate X86s .

joecar
June 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
...Motorola never thought to give IBM free samples of the 68000 as Intel did with the 8088... IBM took the free samples from Intel and designed a microcomputer around the 8088.

IBM's design was overly complex since they only had experience designing large grossly complex systems like the System 360 (has anyone read Fred Brooks' "The Mythical Man Month"... it's a good read)... so they ended up with the abomination they called the Personal Computer...

Too bad IBM did not the have foresight to go with the 68000 (which had a true 32 bit architecture, unlike the 8/16 bit architecture of the 8088)... we're all paying for it now (and have been since day one).

joecar
June 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I started with the TRS80 at the Tandy store, I learned Z80 assembler and BASIC (the early form of it)...

I got a Z80 "box" from Dick Smith which ran CP/M from 5.25" floppy disk... CP/M came with assembly source code, so it was very interesting seeing how to write device drivers...

then I went to uni where I learned stuff like 6800 and 68000, hardware (analog and digital) and software (C and Pascal)... when I got a full time job I worked on 68K stuff alot, and then slowly after switching jobs a few times somehow ended up doing 386+ stuff... I hardly touch application code, I mostly do driver code (in linux).

JezzaB
June 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Vic 20
Atari ST 1040i (Yes I hated Amigas :p)
Atari Falcon 030
286+ and so on with x86 machines

Jez

GMPX
June 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Atari ST 1040i (Yes I hated Amigas :p)
Jez
Ah yes, I forgot about the rivalry between Amiga and Atari owners, on the specs sheet the Amiga ate the ST, particularly for gaming, but the ST did find it's niche market with the MIDI support built in. Remember when Atari released the STe, it had similar advanced graphics capabilites as the Amiga (4096 colours, blitter etc), only problem was that came 4 years after the original Amiga release and most people's reaction was "so!"

Atari dropped the ball again on the Falcon, it came out just after the Amiga 1200 which once again killed it in specifications apart from the Falcon having the 68030, the A1200 had the 68020, but you could get 030 cards with an FPU for the A1200.

If I find an ST for the right price I think I'll buy one just to have a play around with it. I am a bit of a retro geek!

Still, it could have been worse, you could have said you owned an Amstrad :hihi:

Cheers,
Ross

redhardsupra
June 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM
hey, no making fun of Amstrad and its 3 inch floppy... ;)

I started on a Timex 2048, a clone of ZX Spectrum 48. I was like 7 or 8 and I loved it to pieces. Then I got to touch the aforementioned Amstrad 6128 with the built in floppy and a ginormous 128k memory and a green 'hires' monitor. Then Atari 65XE, which I swapped with a neighbour for a Commodore 64 II, while envying another friend's Commodore 128D, as it could boot as C64, C128, or CP/M. Then I saw an Amiga 500 and the graphics blew me away. Then I saw a 286 playing 'test drive' and I wanted a PC which I didnt get until years later in a form of a 486. By '98 I worked for a dotcom doing NT sysadmining, and started to hate windows dearly. So with the first paycheck I bought myself a 64bit Alpha 533MHz, which forced me to run Linux. Then I haven't touched Windows for half a decade, until I got into tuning, and had to get a windows and a laptop. These days I have flavors of Linux or BSD running on every piece of hardware I own, including the PS3, and a tiny ARM box that runs a webcam snapshotting a bird in a nest right outside my window ;)

wow, I've been a geek for a long time... I hope that estabilishes my geek cred without using words like 'DnD' or 'Rush' ;)

Stealth97
June 15th, 2009, 08:32 AM
hey, no making fun of Amstrad and its 3 inch floppy... ;)

I started on a Timex 2048, a clone of ZX Spectrum 48. I was like 7 or 8 and I loved it to pieces. Then I got to touch the aforementioned Amstrad 6128 with the built in floppy and a ginormous 128k memory and a green 'hires' monitor. Then Atari 65XE, which I swapped with a neighbour for a Commodore 64 II, while envying another friend's Commodore 128D, as it could boot as C64, C128, or CP/M. Then I saw an Amiga 500 and the graphics blew me away. Then I saw a 286 playing 'test drive' and I wanted a PC which I didnt get until years later in a form of a 486. By '98 I worked for a dotcom doing NT sysadmining, and started to hate windows dearly. So with the first paycheck I bought myself a 64bit Alpha 533MHz, which forced me to run Linux. Then I haven't touched Windows for half a decade, until I got into tuning, and had to get a windows and a laptop. These days I have flavors of Linux or BSD running on every piece of hardware I own, including the PS3, and a tiny ARM box that runs a webcam snapshotting a bird in a nest right outside my window ;)

wow, I've been a geek for a long time... I hope that estabilishes my geek cred without using words like 'DnD' or 'Rush' ;)

Warhammer 40k. Magic: The Gathering.

Let the geekiness protrude. I admit in front of gatherings of my friends that I used to play and sell Magic cards and that I made a lot of money trading and selling pieces of cardboard before I ever had my first job.

I remember my old Atari gaming machine. It was my fathers. He had a game with some chick and a sword that my mom wouldn't let me play because it was possibly sexual in nature? Or the chick was scantily clad? I dunno, but I remember not playing that game.

My first PC was a 133mhz Pentium. Old School. And at school we used to have the Apple 2e's and the 2e+, wasn't there also an Apple 2c?

Why did schools always get Apple PC's? Weren't they more expensive?

Eric

Blacky
June 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Talking about early home computers - here's an interesting article:
http://technologizer.com/2009/06/14/fifteen-classic-pc-design-mistakes/

Paul

GMPX
June 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Very funny, but it was all new back then, what seemed like a good idea at the time didn't turn out that way (eg, the Apple Lisa Disks).

Another good article on that website:
http://technologizer.com/2008/09/18/errormessage/

Cheers,
Ross

abkimble
June 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Warhammer 40k. Magic: The Gathering.

Let the geekiness protrude. I admit in front of gatherings of my friends that I used to play and sell Magic cards and that I made a lot of money trading and selling pieces of cardboard before I ever had my first job.

I remember my old Atari gaming machine. It was my fathers. He had a game with some chick and a sword that my mom wouldn't let me play because it was possibly sexual in nature? Or the chick was scantily clad? I dunno, but I remember not playing that game.

My first PC was a 133mhz Pentium. Old School. And at school we used to have the Apple 2e's and the 2e+, wasn't there also an Apple 2c?

Why did schools always get Apple PC's? Weren't they more expensive?

Eric

That brings back some memories for sure. I remember over clocking a Pentium 75 to a 90 and thinking wow, I better hold on now. And that 540 meg hard drive it came with..... Those were the days....:cucumber:

Chevy366
June 16th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Another good article on that website:
http://technologizer.com/2008/09/18/errormessage/

Cheers,
Ross

Oh , forgot about the , "abort, retry, fail" .

That brings back some memories for sure. I remember over clocking a Pentium 75 to a 90 and thinking wow, I better hold on now. And that 540 meg hard drive it came with..... Those were the days....:cucumber:
Yeah , or the turbo button for instant power , ROFL .

On side note , make Linux a Mac : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1271790/run-linux-mac

redhardsupra
June 16th, 2009, 02:43 AM
you laugh at the turbo button, but the new cpus both over and underclock themselves as needed. isnt that a modern equivalent of the turbo button? ;)

GMPX
June 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
On side note , make Linux a Mac : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1271790/run-linux-mac
It seems to have stopped development but Linux on a ....
http://lng.sourceforge.net/lunix/lng_shot.html

Cheers,
Ross

abkimble
June 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Ya, it's a " Turbo " button and an " Un-Turbo " button... equivalent ? ROFLMAO.....

Or something like that.

Chevy366
June 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
you laugh at the turbo button, but the new cpus both over and underclock themselves as needed. isnt that a modern equivalent of the turbo button? ;)
Yes it is , funny how nothing new is really .

Don't take this wrong I like Macs , just thought ths was a nice project for some . http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin

endo
June 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I'm happy to test on Linux. I'm not a Linux programmer, i.e., not someone who's going to be able to help much writing drivers and such, but I am a programmer who uses Linux (and has been using it, for the most part as my main OS, since 1996). Absolutely thrilled you guys are so interested in porting to it. I know C, and have even written basic GUI programs on Linux with GTK, but that was years ago and simply "for the hell of it". In real life I'm a JavaScript + AJAX + Java nerd.

Oh, and since we're all going over the computer history...started with a TI99/4A at age 5 (was bought for older brother but he wouldn't touch it). Then a Trash 80, then an Apple II+, then a 4.77MHz 8086 white box clone...which finally got a 10MB hard drive...then a 386 (oh wow!). Thought Windows sucked in the 3.0/3.1 days, bought a Mac (which were WORSE back then (no protected mode memory, no preemptive multitasking). Bought a 120MHz PC w/ Win95, loved it for a month, then it came apart at the seams. Put Linux on it, and that's pretty much been the story ever since. Currently running Ubuntu on my main system. Use Macs a fair amount as well (i.e., as a laptop) but still prefer Linux to anything.

Planning on running EFILive (which should show up today/tomorrow/the next day, perhaps sooner if I keep looking out the window for the mailman) on my old MacBook. Hoping it'll run (and speak USB) inside a virtualbox VM, but will probably (at least initially) boot into Windows for tuning work.

I'd be perfectly happy with a Wine-based Linux port of EFILive with solid drivers. I'd love to get a little no-moving-parts Ubuntu netbook (i.e., with an SSD) and keep it in the truck. Windows, even XP, is slower than snail snot on these things.

Brother just picked up a netbook at Costco and the POS boots at 500MB of 1GB used. Probably eaten by its virus scanner, stack of crappy drivers (presumably with .NET-based control panels that load at boot) and various other prepacked programs. I don't understand how the average consumer has become so tolerant of garbage.

joecar
June 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
endo, welcome to the forum...:cheers:

Chevy366
June 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Another Linux user . :grin:
Welcome endo . :welcome:

MaxPF
July 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Given that right now we don't have time to develop a Linux port of EFILive, I'd like to find out if there are any Linux software developers here that would be interested in developing "proof of concept" software.

The software would provide the same features as EFILive_Hapi. It wouldn't necessarily need to be a GUI app (but bonus points if it is), just a background daemon that implements the EFILive HAPI (Hardware Application Programming Interface).

It would need to use the Linux drivers for the FTDI chip available from www.ftdichip.com (http://www.ftdichip.com).

Regards
Paul

Paul, have you by chance gotten around to documenting your HAPI API? Also, on the FTDI side, do you use the virtual com port or the direct driver?

mxracer
December 13th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Hey Paul,

I'm a software engineer and have done a good bit on Linux all the way from embedded Linux up thru some GUI. I'd be interested in getting involved if this comes to fruition.

Thanks
Dan

mxracer
December 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Paul, have you by chance gotten around to documenting your HAPI API? Also, on the FTDI side, do you use the virtual com port or the direct driver?

You need to use the D2xx drivers as the interface to the EFILive hardware is via USB.

Chevy366
December 13th, 2010, 05:29 AM
You need to use the D2xx drivers as the interface to the EFILive hardware is via USB.
Since you are a knowledgeable person have you tired to get EFILive running in a Distro yourself ?
If so can you do a tutorial on it ?
I mean with Emulation (WINE) .

mxracer
December 13th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Since you are a knowledgeable person have you tired to get EFILive running in a Distro yourself ?
If so can you do a tutorial on it ?
I mean with Emulation (WINE) .

Not under WINE, but did post a while back on running it in a virt here
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9668-EFILive-on-Linux/page2

Sorry not a WINE guy and really not a x-over person with Windows and Linux. I usually work in one or the other and don't try to make them play together. :)

Chevy366
December 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Not under WINE, but did post a while back on running it in a virt here
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9668-EFILive-on-Linux/page2

Sorry not a WINE guy and really not a x-over person with Windows and Linux. I usually work in one or the other and don't try to make them play together. :)
That's not Linux bro , it is still Winders running in Linux (playing together) .
Just about anyone can get a Winders Install to run in a virt , no big deal there .
Oh well , just hoping for more .
I am not a programmer , I am proficient at Linux use .

mxracer
December 14th, 2010, 06:13 AM
That's not Linux bro , it is still Winders running in Linux (playing together) .
Just about anyone can get a Winders Install to run in a virt , no big deal there .
Oh well , just hoping for more .
I am not a programmer , I am proficient at Linux use .

Yup.. that's what I wrote in the original thread.

If we get some info/guidance from Paul I think we could make a port happen.

Chevy366
December 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Man you would be my HERO if you did .

swingtan
December 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Just a reminder, with a particular emphasis on WINE.

You can get the applications to run OK under WINE. I've had both Scan and Tune working to edit calibrations as save them again. What you can't do is talk to the V2 as the windows USB drivers will not interface with the Linux OS to give you access to the V2. The drivers need to be Linux native, not emulated as that is where the real hardware connection exists.

The thing is though, you don't always need access to the USB port. Now that BBL and BBR are working so well, you can read a log from the SD card under Linux, make changes to the calibrations using WINE and then write back to the SD card and flash the new tune using BBR. Sure it's not a "true" Linux application, but it does work quite well.

Simon.

Chevy366
December 15th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Just a reminder, with a particular emphasis on WINE.

You can get the applications to run OK under WINE. I've had both Scan and Tune working to edit calibrations as save them again. What you can't do is talk to the V2 as the windows USB drivers will not interface with the Linux OS to give you access to the V2. The drivers need to be Linux native, not emulated as that is where the real hardware connection exists.

The thing is though, you don't always need access to the USB port. Now that BBL and BBR are working so well, you can read a log from the SD card under Linux, make changes to the calibrations using WINE and then write back to the SD card and flash the new tune using BBR. Sure it's not a "true" Linux application, but it does work quite well.

Simon.
That is true Simon (SD card) , in WINE EFILive does react well , and the USB application is the show stopper .
Was waiting for New EFILive Release to get out of Beta and try again .

swingtan
December 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM
The only reason the USB is a show stopper ATM is that you "have" to use the USB connection to populate the "config" filesystem in the V2.

If say, there was another directory on the SD card, maybe called "config" and if the V2 had the ability under setup to...

Backup the current config filesystem to a new directory on the SD card. IE. /EFLive/config/1 (number would increment if the directory already existed).
Format the config filesystem.
Copy the contents of /EFILive/config/N back to the config filesystem

*nudge*nudge*

there would be very little need for the USB connection at all, unless you wanted to do real-time displaying on the laptop (which I know many need). However, many others don't need to do that. the only time I usually do real-time laptop displays if if someone drops round with a problem. So there is still a need for the USB driver, but the SD card - config option would be very nice.

Simon

Chevy366
December 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I bet it has something to do with the way the V2 is driven , it has a old Serial (data speed) port converted to USB with the FTDI chip .
I once had it report the V2 as a Scanner , the problem is as you stated Simon , where the software looks for the driver , funny the driver folder is there in WINE and the driver is within , but it does not see it .
Hmm , the config thing would work .
What about , firmware and boot block updates as well ?

swingtan
December 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM
It's going to be hard to implement firmware and boot-block from the SD card without a big rewrite (I think). Currently there would be code to allow the FW and BB to be transfered over the USB link, so it would need to be rewritten to support the SD card filesystem. That means I/O support for the SD card controller as well as filesystem structures. It's not impossible, as many out devices will do at least firmware updates from a memory card (Canon cameras for one).

Simon.

Blacky
December 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
It's going to be hard to implement firmware and boot-block from the SD card without a big rewrite (I think). Currently there would be code to allow the FW and BB to be transfered over the USB link, so it would need to be rewritten to support the SD card filesystem. That means I/O support for the SD card controller as well as filesystem structures. It's not impossible, as many out devices will do at least firmware updates from a memory card (Canon cameras for one).

Simon.

Correct. It will never be possible to do firmware upgrades via the SD Card. The SD Card interface code and the FAT file system code is part of the firmware and is not available for execution while the firmware is being updated.
The USB comms is part of the boot block and operates independently of the firmware so USB comms is available while the firmware is being updated.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
December 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Correct. It will never be possible to do firmware upgrades via the SD Card. The SD Card interface code and the FAT file system code is part of the firmware and is not available for execution while the firmware is being updated.
The USB comms is part of the boot block and operates independently of the firmware so USB comms is available while the firmware is being updated.

Regards
Paul

Figured as much that is why I threw it in there.

Dark-Fx
January 10th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Is there still interest in trying to get some of the features working in a native Linux C program? I've had some experience with FTDI and other generic usbserial devices in linux, and I'd love to help you guys out.

Chevy366
January 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I saw that WINE has done some more work with USB handling : http://wiki.winehq.org/USB

critter
April 10th, 2011, 09:06 AM

I am not surprised as I wrote a web server for a Samsung TV in 2002 while at Wind River.

critter
April 10th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Motorola never thought to give IBM free samples of the 68000 as Intel did with the 8088... IBM took the free samples from Intel and designed a microcomputer around the 8088.

IBM did go to Mot. They wanted Mot to kick up the address space on the 6809 (like Intel did on the 8080) but Mot didn't figure there was enough volume in it to justify the R&D.

IBM's design was overly complex since they only had experience designing large grossly complex systems like the System 360 (has anyone read Fred Brooks' "The Mythical Man Month"... it's a good read)... so they ended up with the abomination they called the Personal Computer...

Very good read.
Actually, IBM was trying to clone the Apple ][. The first PC's had cassette storage, video like the Apple, etc.

Too bad IBM did not the have foresight to go with the 68000 (which had a true 32 bit architecture, unlike the 8/16 bit architecture of the 8088)... we're all paying for it now (and have been since day one).
Really!

joecar
April 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Ah, too bad, looks like Motorola missed their greatest opportunity... just like DR with CP/M.

I didn't know IBM were trying to clone the Apple; it's funny, the INT13h cassette timer subcall is still present in some BIOS's, lol.

Yes, the 68000 internally was 32 bit even tho the external bus was 16 bit, it would do two bus cycles for an external 32 bit transfer.
On the other hand, the 8088/8086 internally were 16 bit, and used segment registers to manipulate the address range beyond 64K.

critter
April 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Ah, too bad, looks like Motorola missed their greatest opportunity... just like DR with CP/M.

Heh. Online at the same time ... Yeah, Mot blew it big time on that one.

I didn't know IBM were trying to clone the Apple; it's funny, the INT13h cassette timer subcall is still present in some BIOS's, lol.

I can't remember where I learned that. Maybe Byte back in the day. I still have PC and AT manuals will full schematics and BIOS listings. That is where IBM blew it.

Yes, the 68000 internally was 32 bit even tho the external bus was 16 bit, it would do two bus cycles for an external 32 bit transfer.
On the other hand, the 8088/8086 internally were 16 bit, and used segment registers to manipulate the address range beyond 64K.
Yeah, I an no fan of the X86 architecture. Other than playing a bit with an 1802 and 6502, I used Mot on the desk and in product, from the 6800 to 68040 for my desktop/development and 6802 to 68340 in product. I had Mot based Ataris for a while. I developed a lot of code in the field on an ST or Falcon. I can write assembler for any of them, which is something I don't attempt on X86. I finally got an X86 box to run linux. It is a long way from assembler/editor off tape and code back to tape to 3GHz processors, C, 1TB drive, ....

Sometime I'd like to talk to you about git. I just got hosed by a CVS merge.

joecar
April 10th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I use git every day... pm me your phone # and we can talk sometime tomorrow.

EverydayDiesel
February 16th, 2016, 04:36 AM
I am a linux dev
C / C++ / ASM

joecar
February 16th, 2016, 06:07 AM
I am a linux dev
C / C++ / ASMHey, nice to meet you :cheers:

what do you work on...?

EverydayDiesel
February 16th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I run my own small business which I mostly use GCC

how about you?

Chevy366
February 16th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Do you think you can get a hook working for the USB so we can use EFILive to flash in Linux finally?
Haven't tried in a long time, might see if it is possible now, openSUSE my mainstay has an emulator for Winders, going to try it out this time.

MaxPF
February 16th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Do you think you can get a hook working for the USB so we can use EFILive to flash in Linux finally?
Haven't tried in a long time, might see if it is possible now, openSUSE my mainstay has an emulator for Winders, going to try it out this time.

Shouldn't be difficult. However, we would need some help/details from the EFI Live devs.

EverydayDiesel
February 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Anyone tried running it under wine?

joecar
February 17th, 2016, 04:55 AM
I run my own small business which I mostly use GCC

how about you?I work at a Fibre Channel ASIC company, I do the linux kernel mode driver for our FC host adapters...

so I use gcc all the time (and have found some interesting quirks in it).

Chevy366
February 17th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Shouldn't be difficult. However, we would need some help/details from the EFI Live devs.
I think one of them said they use Delphi for development (this may have changed), I looked, that is an old compiler, there is a crossover to Linux for it though.

Chevy366
February 17th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Anyone tried running it under wine?

Yep, works, everything but the USB part, can't flash or send files to the controller, I didn't spend to much time with it though.

Blacky
February 17th, 2016, 08:02 AM
What info do you need to try and get it working on Linux?
Regards
Paul

EverydayDiesel
February 17th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Regards
Paul

I am curious if you could tell me how I calculate the transmission temperature from the odbii port. I have a truck-puter that i wrote that plays all my music,nav and stuff and I can monitor everything I want except tranny temp of a 07.5 6.7l cummins (68rfe)

GMPX
February 17th, 2016, 09:53 AM

I am curious if you could tell me how I calculate the transmission temperature from the odbii port.
I don't think that is what they meant, the discussion about getting Linux playing with EFILive nicely.
I'm not a Linux desktop user so you guys will have to educate me on this, but with the insane amount of Linux Distros (http://distrowatch.com/) if you get it working on one will it work on all the others?

EverydayDiesel
February 17th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Right but the comp in my computer is linux. I can help with the dev of the usb stuff but that is something that I have been after for many years. It sucks not knowing trans temp

MaxPF
February 17th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Regards
Paul

It should be the same info to make a Windows driver; We need to know how to talk to the hardware (hardware protocol). Then, once we can talk to the hardware, we need to know what to say to make it do it's thing. I realize the latter part is actually done from the userland app, but that info is needed for driver devel purposes in order to verify that it actually works :)

II'm not a Linux desktop user so you guys will have to educate me on this, but with the insane amount of Linux Distros (http://distrowatch.com/) if you get it working on one will it work on all the others?

As a rule, there are two main distros that everyone supports: Fedora/Red Hat, and Ubuntu/Debian. Most other distros are built off of those. For the distros that don't meet their dependency requirements we can also make the source available for the user to compile themselves (which means they have to take care of all the dependencies).

The kernel module would likely be done as a dynamically built module, much like VirtualBox does. Here, the install script compiles a kernel module against the running kernel at install time, and installs kmod as a dependency. kmod ensures that if a future system update installs a new kernel version, a new module will be built against the new kernel at the first boot of the new kernel. If the module is stable (which requires the Flashscan V2 hardware protocol to be stable) and licensed under GPLv2 it may be possible to get it put into the mainline kernel tree. If that happens, then a module build would no longer be required for any distros that are based on a kernel version the same or newer than the version where the driver was introduced into the tree.

Are you thoroughly confused yet?

Chevy366
February 18th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Right but the comp in my computer is linux. I can help with the dev of the usb stuff but that is something that I have been after for many years. It sucks not knowing trans temp
You need the send and receive signal converted to an output.

It should be the same info to make a Windows driver; We need to know how to talk to the hardware (hardware protocol). Then, once we can talk to the hardware, we need to know what to say to make it do it's thing. I realize the latter part is actually done from the userland app, but that info is needed for driver devel purposes in order to verify that it actually works :)
In Wine the Software install works all but the USB part due to the Serial USB driver that is needed by the controller FTDI chip, best I can tell. Linux has the FTDI support there just not sure why it can't assign the controller a module. You can see the manufacture code but when I tried to load a module manually it would not recognize the device. It has been a long while so I may be missing something here, so don't quote me.

As a rule, there are two main distros that everyone supports: Fedora/Red Hat, and Ubuntu/Debian. Most other distros are built off of those. For the distros that don't meet their dependency requirements we can also make the source available for the user to compile themselves (which means they have to take care of all the dependencies).

The kernel module would likely be done as a dynamically built module, much like VirtualBox does. Here, the install script compiles a kernel module against the running kernel at install time, and installs kmod as a dependency. kmod ensures that if a future system update installs a new kernel version, a new module will be built against the new kernel at the first boot of the new kernel. If the module is stable (which requires the Flashscan V2 hardware protocol to be stable) and licensed under GPLv2 it may be possible to get it put into the mainline kernel tree. If that happens, then a module build would no longer be required for any distros that are based on a kernel version the same or newer than the version where the driver was introduced into the tree.

Are you thoroughly confused yet?

Right .deb and .rpm covers most Linux Distros. Out of the top 5 Distors, 3 are .deb and the other are .rpm, according to Distrowatch.com.

I like the idea of not having to run in Wine as MaxPF is alluding to.
Man a Raspberry PI a few tweaks and a small EFILive device could be born, no, laptop of tablet needed. https://www.google.com/search?q=raspberry+pi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

(http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16872?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CPDt5--ZgssCFQtFaQodl5cHMA)

EverydayDiesel
February 18th, 2016, 09:06 AM
You need the send and receive signal converted to an output.

I have the raw data but what do i multiply it by to get the correct value? Thats what I am after.

joecar
February 18th, 2016, 09:30 AM
I am curious if you could tell me how I calculate the transmission temperature from the odbii port. I have a truck-puter that i wrote that plays all my music,nav and stuff and I can monitor everything I want except tranny temp of a 07.5 6.7l cummins (68rfe)

I have the raw data but what do i multiply it by to get the correct value? Thats what I am after.Do you have the factory Service Manual, does it show a resistance or voltage to temperature chart...?

The GM SM's show the resistance to temperature charts, so by looking at the wiring diagram it is easy to come up with a voltage->temperature formula.

I am not familiar with Cummins/Dodge stuff at all.

Chevy366
March 22nd, 2016, 05:24 AM
Anyone try any more, my com crashed and just now got one back up and going.
Got another lappy on the way, but it will have Winders 10 on it, YUCK! Well not for long.

joecar
March 22nd, 2016, 02:34 PM
If you can, go back to Win 7 or Win 8.

Chevy366
April 11th, 2016, 04:53 AM
If you can, go back to Win 7 or Win 8.
I just installed openSUSE 42.1 and left the Winders 10 as it is, if EFILive were Linux friendly I would never use Winders again.
Lenovo packs their laptops with lots of bloatware, and Winders 10, WTF, used it (W10) for a few days just so I can say I have used it, got a virus attack the last day before installing Linux, no more worries now.