PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

Baldric
May 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hi ll im only new here so bear with me if this sounds like a dumb question.
iv'e recently bought Efilive V1 and still trying to pick it all up. ive got a boosted car that has a shit tune in it. but ive downloaded a mates car's tune (stocko still has maf in place) and was wondering as i dont have my tech edge wb02 yet what i can do to get it to run a bit better and have abit more grunt ( i have a mafless tube here at home)
don't want to go too silly tho as its a sialy driven car

odd boy
May 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the forum,

Get your stock file, and then follow the tutorial (auto VE). You should be in safe hands till ur WB comes. Try to richen the VE table by 10% to be more in the safe side. Keep in mind the car will consume more gas but it will run safely. This is if the car stock, but if it is cammed, I’d recommend having the WB first.

Baldric
May 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM
no stock as a rock . mine is modifyed thus why i want to learn on his cr first as its rather hard to blow a not modded car up :)

odd boy
May 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
pay a visit to www.holdencrazy.com

Baldric
May 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM
yeah mate ive been on there downloaded a few tunes will try some on my mates car :)

odd boy
May 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
post a log for idle + PT + WOT

Baldric
May 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
when he comes over i will mate :)

odd boy
May 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
please post ur car, year, mods, trans....etc

limited cv8r
May 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Quite easy to blow any engine up, stock or modded.Read , learn , small changes & not too many at a time. Also if you are downloading modified tunes, how do you know they are safe? Start with the stock tune and go from there,it's a big,long learning curve,take it easy and don't rush in and you should be fine. You will get a lot of help on this forum if you ask the right questions.
Have fun.

joecar
May 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Seek to understand the importance of AFR and timing (if they're wrong then engine damage occurs).

Stealth97
May 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Fuel is used as a cylinder coolant, as well as your propellant. Heat is what destroys an engine. To check the heat of your engine, do not rely on coolant temperatures, as it is waaaayyy too late. Rely instead on an aftermarket EGT sensor (exhaust gas temperature).

Too high of an EGT and you'll start breaking stuff. The pistons will get a hot spot. The hot spot will start igniting fuel instead of your spark plug. Your pistons will crack and/or melt a hole through them. You lose compression. You lose your engine. Or the motor will detonate so severely it'll wear the bearing surface down on the crank rod journal so much that the bearing will eventually spin in the bore and a spun bearing=no oiling. No oil to a bearing=a lot more friction than you'd like and your engine sends the rod out the side of the block if you keep driving it while it knocks.

I can say with utter certainty that this is what will happen if you tune wrong. I've been down that road and did the expensive learning curve thing already a few times.

Don't rely on a dyno to tune your vehicle. Air flows much different on the street. Use a dyno for a base tune, or for information. But always always always fine tune on the street under real driving conditions. Some dynos do not put enough load on the drivetrain, resulting in unfavorably lean (albiet powerful) street conditions. Fun for a few miles, not so much fun after that.

Baldric
May 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
thank you all for yoru words of wisdom, from part experences and general knowledge base. its good that people are giving with information :) kudos to you all
all i need now is some ink to print out a few reference documents :)

odd boy
May 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I looked at ur file, u need to reflect 60 lb injector, alter the idle speed, idle air flow….etc I prefer if you start with a new stock file from www.holdencrazy.com
We can do a lot for u here, but we want u to do it ur self in order to learn. Ask and we all will help.

Baldric
May 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
yeah i dont like the idle speed it rocks too much. but i need to do a full flash. as its locked but i will wait till i get my tech edge WB02 first before i even think about it. Iv'e got the interpolation spreadsheet and also managed to find a 60lb injector script so that will come in handy as well. i will make a few changes to the injector and see what ya's think about it when i update it.

odd boy
May 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I see good steps here.

Baldric
May 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM
yeah good small steps for me :)

Baldric
May 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
is there anyone that can post me up a log of a car with ben map etc so i can see if i can adjust it :) might be my first small steps and prefer a manual :)

cheers for your help guys/girls

odd boy
May 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
u have most of them ready for u within the software!!!!

Baldric
May 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Hi Mate, what i mean is for someone to send me a half tune of one say you have finished on a ls1 give me a log of a run with ben factors etc being logged and i will make a change to see if i am adjusting the right key areas :) i find practical is easiest way to learn (dont have wb yet so cant do it on my car)

odd boy
May 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
U can't do it this way. Believe me each car is different, based on condition.....etc. I suggest that u download a stock file from holdencrazy. Modify the injector, make it mafless then send it to me.

Baldric
May 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
okay sonds like a deal man :D i gotta learn mafless first :)

k done mafless setup + setup for 60lb injectors

odd boy
May 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
okay sonds like a deal man :D i gotta learn mafless first :)

k done mafless setup + setup for 60lb injectors

Okay, wrong setup for injectors and mafless. For injectors use the attached file and for mafless follow the tutorial that is associated with software (auto ve)

5350 copy the mid column and paste it in the software

the table should look like this

by the way, what doc did follow to come up with the injectors changes. I want to see it.

Baldric
May 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM
found a script floating around here for my injectors (Semens dakar 60lb)

joecar
May 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Is your fuel pressure regulator MAP-reference or unreferenced...?

Baldric
May 11th, 2009, 03:57 AM
hi joe map referenced :)

joecar
May 11th, 2009, 04:02 AM
hi joe map referenced :)Ok, your IFR table will be flat horizontal across (no slope), the value being the first cell of that spreedsheet (i.e. the IFR for MANVAC = 0)...

The reason for this is that the MAP-referenced FPR keeps the pressure difference across an injector constant:

absolute pressure above = FP + BARO + MAP
absolute pressure below = MAP
difference = FP + BARO = constant

IFR is proportional to square root of pressure (what the spreadsheet computes).

Cheers
:cheers:

Baldric
May 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
so as much as the map changes the the reference compensates it to keep constant stable fuel pressure ?

joecar
May 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Yes, that is correct, to keep a constant stable pressure difference.

As MAP goes up in the manifold, so regulated rail pressure goes up by the same amount.

Baldric
May 12th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Ok so did a bit more playing around with a dummy tune started out as a maf'd stocco commodore tune. as you see above and now its a mafless tne with 60lb injectors and a rather safe conservative tune. seems to be taking shape. anyone want to add some pointers to this if you like ??

PS: i dont have a car to run this on atm im just playing in the program itself

PPS: i did another log in my car today in my map log (j) i have afr average (i take it it gets a average value from the narrowbands) there was a 19.02 afr in there ??? :O

joecar
May 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I think you may be too lean, roughly observed from HO2Sx1 voltages and IBPW...

You really do need a wideband.

In the meantime:
- increase B3605 and B3618,
- reduce B3616 down from 100% (you want PE even when you open the throttle from low rpm),
- try reducing B4001 a little and watch HO2Sx1, get above 920mV at larger throttle (but do get a wideband),
- if you're editing B0101, your MAF and trims are enabled (trims will mask your CL fueling attempts, MAF will mask your VE attempts).

You might want to read the AutoVE tutorial...

When you do AutoVE, first recalculate B4001 using the spreadsheet.

Baldric
May 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks joe. I will have a look through all the things you have suggested when i get home (off to work now ) :(