PDA

View Full Version : WTD: help

kidmavric
May 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Hey guys i just bought the v4 and not really sure what i am doing. i have just put a new buick motor in my car and it only turns over but wont run!! will this program help me find the problem or does the car need to be running for it to work! cheers :help2:

joecar
May 13th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Hi kidmaveric,

V4 would show you any ECM error codes (e.g. if ECT was open circuit, or if ignition module was not outputing an rpm signal)...

You will still need to perform a fuel/spark/compression diagnoses (are injectors spraying and is fuel pressure correct, can you see plugs firing and do you get an RPM indication, do cylinders have compression and is cam timed correctly).

kidmavric
May 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
hey, i have fuel going through the lines not 100% on the preassure, has spark and comp and i have the engine running b4 i swaped it over so the timming should be fine! was hoping this program would give me some idea on what is not working properly. I have even changed the crank angle sensor swaped the computers over changed coilpack and DFI. i cant smell any fuel on the sparkplugs though after cranking it over! it is all driving me crazy....

joecar
May 14th, 2009, 03:03 AM
With swapped ecm and coil packs, you still visually saw spark with a plug removed and shorted to the block...?
Is so, this means: the IM is producing an rpm signal from the crank sensor...
the scantool should show rpm value while cranking.

Does the fuel pump run...?

If you crank with no start, you should be able to smell fuel.

While cranking, see if the injectors are firing (use a mechanic's stethoscope on one injector, you will hear all of them clicking, or use a noid light across the injector connector.

Measure the fuel pressure... you should get fuel and pressure at the rail.

With scantool check the values of the various pids like ECT, IAT, TP, MAP, MAF for sensible values.

kidmavric
May 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
i have fuel preassure and spark everything seems to be working just not getting fuel through the injectors. i have one more test to see if the injectors are getting a bad earth. any other ideas on what i should do? cheers for your help much appriciated:)