PDA

View Full Version : New emissions laws

GMPX
May 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
You might have heard about this -
http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-GreenBusiness/idUSTRE54J04Q20090520

GM US needs to follow my idea :angel_innocent:
Forget the Hybrid as the main focus, in the small car range offer small Diesels (Like GM Europe does), a recent test I saw of the new Mini Diesel showed it gets better MPG than a Prius (about 60MPG in fact!) and has lower emissions.
http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/story/mini_cooper_d_first_drive/
So imagine the Malibu, Cobalt etc could all get 40 - 50 MPG, that still allows GM to build full size trucks with big motors and continue to offer engines like the LS7. Because the problem is, some people still and forever will need big vehicles. Pretty sure a plumber isn't going to be able to haul around all he's gear in a 4 cyl Silverado.

Cheers,
Ross

mr.prick
May 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I's funny how the US government is "bailing out" an industry that is in decline
because of the ridiculous laws that it makes.

:rant:
It's just a grab for your money, an extra tax here,
an additional overcharge there.
Check this one out:
San Francisco to impose cigarette butt tax. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/us/19smoke.html?_r=2&hp)
Cigarette's are already taxed to pay for health care costs but
the government is operating under record deficits,
partially because of "health care".

The whole world is upside down right now.

Chevy366
May 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I agree with the Diesel thing , but California is against Diesels as well , particulate matter in the air , I believe is what they are saying .
SO for Americans it will seem that Hybrids are the coming attraction , Gas and Electric or PEV . I am sure Contractors are going to be able to keep large vehicles but will have to pay a gas guzzler tax , which they will pass on to the consumer .
It is all about growing the Government and the Economy through inflated product prices .
The rich and wasteful think adding more zeros makes them richer , but adding more zeros and raising prices only makes the zeros that are added smaller (I have 10 million but a gallon of milk cost $200 dollars) .:rant:

Garry
May 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM
I agree with the Diesel thing , but California is against Diesels as well , particulate matter in the air , I believe is what they are saying .
Which is a POS, too, as modern particular filters filter out way beyond 99% ...

GMPX
May 31st, 2009, 10:20 AM
It is a cultural thing, it's similar here in Australia where 95% of people think of a Diesel as something a farmer owns, not as a daily commuter. Europe does lead the way in all this, they don't seem to be hybrid crazy and 50% or so of vehicles on the road are diesel, given the cost of fuel over there, no wonder!

mistermike
May 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Has anyone seen the VW commercial that lampoons the hybrids?

"My turbo diesel goes VROOOOOM. What kind of sound does your hybrid make?

Chevy366
May 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Has anyone seen the VW commercial that lampoons the hybrids?

"My turbo diesel goes VROOOOOM. What kind of sound does your hybrid make?

Yep , pretty funny ! :hihi:
What sucks even worse than that is the new vision GM has in store , Matchbox cars .
God help us !
People that breathed a sigh of relief are now gasping for air !

joecar
June 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM
The new American car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAqPMJFaEdY

And you get to drive it with manly pride on the allowed driving days.

Sure, it's a satire, but don't laugh too hard, this is where we're heading (kicking screaming digging our heels in).

mr.prick
June 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM
:master:
I am not hearing too much decent, at least wen it comes to the media. :mad:

TAQuickness
June 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
1328 Days, 08 Hours, 14 Minutes, 55 Seconds, and counting...

NERDPWR
June 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM
So the local performance shop will now have to stock hot rod super conductors and arameture assemblies ??..

Hmmm I think the oilers win mod wise for me.. :grin:

Chevy366
June 5th, 2009, 05:33 AM
In the future ;
News : We had a mass pile up on freeways today due to high winds created by Gullible Warning , blowing hundreds of motorist off the freeways due to the shape and lightness of their vehicles , Polars Bears will be used for rescue animals to pull the vehicles upright .